Joe Nall - E-flite Radian XL First Look - RC Groups

Joe Nall - E-flite Radian XL First Look

Horizon Hobby's presence on the electric flight line could not be missed. They had plenty of cool new models on display and in the air. One of those was the new Radian XL...

Splash

First Look at the new Radian XL

Horizon Hobby's presence on the electric flight line could not be missed. They had plenty of cool new models on display and in the air. One of those was the new Radian XL. It stood out with its large wingspan and spoilers so we had to know more. We interviewed Matt about it with the promise to not release the video until the plane was announced. Check out the video below and you can see the Radian XL at Horizon Hobby here.

May 20, 2016, 09:50 AM
I only have soaring experience with the original PZ Radian (Radian2 I guess).

What is the consensus on the extra weight of a large glider vs the extra wingspan?
May 20, 2016, 09:57 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Wholly Di-hedrals!!!!!!

I'll wait for the PRO version with less dihedrals
May 20, 2016, 02:21 PM
What about the 400ft ceiling?
May 20, 2016, 10:06 PM
EasyJust always blame the wind
400 foot ceiling? No problem. I always only fly to 399 feet.
May 21, 2016, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Wholly Di-hedrals!!!!!!

I'll wait for the PRO version with less dihedrals
The dihedrals were the secret sauce of the original Radian
Less dihedral and ailerons = recipe for disaster of PRo.
May 21, 2016, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
The dihedrals were the secret sauce of the original Radian
Less dihedral and ailerons = recipe for disaster of PRo.
Thanks,
I had the original Radian (1st FPV ride) 6.5yrs ago
May 21, 2016, 03:18 AM
Also, a fellow just shown me this:
Flying Weight: 79.5 oz (2254g)

You can forget the original Radian stick to the sky behaviour...
May 21, 2016, 10:21 PM
Aurora Builder
Original Radian wing loading: 24.8 g/dm^2

Radian XL wing loading: 36.8 g/dm^2

So yes, not as floaty, but not as bad as the near triple the weight number indicates. You're also getting a much more efficient wing, simply from the large span increase.
May 21, 2016, 11:44 PM
There is no "400" foot ceiling. Get over it.
May 22, 2016, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Original Radian wing loading: 24.8 g/dm^2

Radian XL wing loading: 36.8 g/dm^2

So yes, not as floaty, but not as bad as the near triple the weight number indicates. You're also getting a much more efficient wing, simply from the large span increase.

Does it look like its going to be blown around easily like my original Radian (2m)?
15mph always here in the summer time

Those huge dihedrals scare me. I know it has its purpose,
but I have to see it fly (those Horizon Videos are set-up and staged, misguiding).

p.s.
in about 2 weeks, Hobbyking will have a 2.6m clone,
and it will most likely be w/o electrics so we can over power it....lol
May 22, 2016, 06:41 AM
What make you believe so...? original Radian wasn't cloned by HK.
Not aware that HK cloned other's planes, they just rebrand them...
May 23, 2016, 04:54 PM
if 2.6 meter is "GIANT" then they are very easy to please.
Its "only" 9 years after the multiplex Cularis (okay without spoilers ) and a kit.

Another thing is the strange choice of the "Polyhedral" wing (by itself very stable) AND electric stabilization... WHY?
A proper designed wing has been self leveling for decades and the "as3x" could even fight it decreasing it function.
The electronics have become so good that even a straight wing can fly as stable as a trainer (and will be stronger at the same weight)
I worry about that this plane tries to be to many things at the same time; a trainer AND a performance gliders and those attempts usually are neither.

I would love to see a Dihedral version without the as3x system OR a system supporting a "geo-fence" to make following the newer regulations easier.

Just added up the cost of the foam bits to build a rudder elevator glider ; yes 2 channels is all a design like this really needs (floater) and possible a 10fp mounted on a pylon to get it at altitude.
That would make a great "lazy sunder afternoon" ship.
Last edited by cmulder; May 23, 2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more
May 23, 2016, 05:45 PM

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
There is no "400" foot ceiling. Get over it.
that would take a nice thermal

May 23, 2016, 05:49 PM
Looks like it could be a fun model sailplane. Wonder if it needs to be fixed before it flys right. As in not too flexy so the tail control surfaces are accurate, the correct cg so it will fly slow out of the box, the plugs for the wing servos are easy to connect and disconnect, and the declage is set correct from the factory. Also a good prop. I like my radian pro, but there is no excuse for crappy engineering when these models can easily be designed and built right.