May 19, 2016, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Transmitter programming question about flaps

I have a transmitter question about flaps. I just purchased a Freewing Pandora as my first plane in 35 yrs. Right ... an old newbie I installed the flaps just to have them for later.

My question is: can I set them to have half flaps and full flaps? I have an 8 channel tactic transmitter and have set the flaps to channel 5 on switch A. The servos are connected to a Y cable. When I tested them the 0 setting was off, 1 setting sent them going up instead of down and setting 2 was full flaps down. I found the way to turn off setting 1 but don't see a way to change the direction and make it 50% throw. Any suggestions ?

BobW
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 04:17 AM
You can reverse channel output on the transmitter channels. So make up go down etc.
But the way to do it is to remove arm from servo, power on servo, attach arm such that the flaps are 50% when the switch is middle position.
Then use the end-point-adjustment of the channel tofine-adjust servo travel for max/min positions.

You can also start with neutral on switch, flaps lightly above neutral when connecting servo horn, and the adjust upper endpoint and lower endpoint. 50% will then not be 50%, but somewhere around the middle between where the 2 endpoints ends up.
May 20, 2016, 10:48 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you connect the flaps to one of the slide lever channels ( i or j ) you can lower the flaps as little or as much as you want .
May 20, 2016, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the responses. I never thought of the slide switches. I think I'll try one of those
May 20, 2016, 06:33 PM
B for Bruce
Bob, on top of that unless you want upward flap consider that the "middle" or "neutral" position for a flap is actually at around half way down. When it's up and faired to the wing it's really at one extreme end of the channel's output signal range as far as the Tx is concerned.

It's then up to you to setup the output arm and control horn so the flap is "zero" though the servo is at one extreme end of its travel.

It's a bit like the retractable landing gear. There is no middle, it's all one way or all the other.

That help?

Keep in mind too that because you want the flap to go from roughly flat to full down with stops along the way you don't really want to use the control horn in the same way as you do with an aileron. If you do then the pushrod and horn will bind up at near full down throw.

Have a look at this sketch to see what I mean.

Quick Reply