May 19, 2016, 08:40 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP
Build Log

Rake Pietenpol Prototypes, or A Plethora Of Piets

Peter needed his 22" and 29" Pietenpol Air Campers prototyped so here they go. I am also working on the Messerschmidt M.20 so this is going to be slow. Hell, ALL my builds are slow I guess.

But I digress.

There are actually three Piets being built here. Two are Peter's designs and one mystery version at 36".

On some of these builds I cut my own parts and on others I get the laser kits from Charlie and Vicki at Manzano Laser. http://www.manzanolaser.com/ I went with the laser cut kits this time because the Mystery Piet that was given to me by a flying friend that had no interest in building it was a laser kit. So I thought I would compare all three.

Here are a few baby steps.

Tom
Last edited by T_om; May 19, 2016 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 11:30 AM
The pin-vice has run off again
Looks like a good start. Could end up with a lucky dip of piet pieces.
May 20, 2016, 11:38 AM
The Junk Man
Thread OP
Yep.

I have been keeping all the bits together in their own little piles here in the shop. Don't want to end up looking like a horse designed by a committee.

Tom
May 21, 2016, 06:15 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP

More small steps

Hacking away on the fuselage for both of Peter's versions. I haven't started the fuselage yet for the mystery version.

Pete's designs go together well and the laser cut parts make it a snap.

Tom
May 21, 2016, 09:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Nice job Tom. Thanks for bailing me out I still haven't finished my electric 29" and haven't even started the smaller one.

But, the 29" diesel powered version has a lot of flights on it

charlie
May 22, 2016, 10:22 AM
The Junk Man
Thread OP

More fuselage stuff

Just chugging away at the fuselages. Only showing Pete's here as the Mystery version only has the wing done at the moment.

Tom
May 24, 2016, 01:07 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP

Wheels

Wheels for these old aircraft are easy to make. No need to buy any.

Here is how I made the set for the 29" Rake version. The other versions will be done the same way but with just different size materials.

Tom
May 26, 2016, 02:01 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Nice "how to" on the wheels! I may have to try your methods and ideas....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
May 26, 2016, 03:02 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
very nice wheel tutorial and the wheels aren't bad either! Very nice, I will likely use that someday.
May 26, 2016, 03:29 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP
Thanks, they are dead easy to make.

Tom
May 27, 2016, 06:12 AM
Nice job on the wheels Tom.
I gotta ask, are the tires glued to the hubs? or is the butt glue joint strong enough?

Julian
May 27, 2016, 10:08 AM
The Junk Man
Thread OP
The butt joints are enough. The tires are cut just short enough so that they stretch on over the hub, no glue necessary.

Tom
May 28, 2016, 12:06 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP

Small Steps

Got the flying surfaces of the 22" version covered with 1.2 mil Doculam laminating film.

Also a quick shot of how to curve balsa for the turtledecks just in case the last person on earth that does not already know visits this thread.

Tom
May 28, 2016, 03:53 PM
The Junk Man
Thread OP

Last for this weekend, more small steps

Got the 29" version flying surfaces covered today.

Weights below. 1.2 mil Doculam laminating film as usual.

Tom
May 28, 2016, 08:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
The butt joints are enough. The tires are cut just short enough so that they stretch on over the hub, no glue necessary.

Tom
On planes this small the tension is good enough. On larger planes you need to glue the tires on. Cross wind landings (or ground loops or wonky take offs) put a lot of side stress on the tires and they can pop off of larger planes. BTDT.

charlie

Quick Reply