SSX Slow Stick Ultralight - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jun 22, 2016, 02:23 PM
I put all the major components together along with the battery to determine the location of the trike gear! with everything needed for flight roughly installed, I installed the wing and set my CG! It came out perfect to the 3.5" recommended for the Slow Stick.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 774.0 KB
Description: Name: 002.JPG
Views: 47
Size: 1.12 MB
Description:

Name: 003.JPG
Views: 54
Size: 1.16 MB
Description:

From hear I start tightening everything up, install the receiver, and then complete the wiring.

Rob T.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2016, 02:44 PM
Yesterday I finished up all the wiring, set up the Cobra 40A ESC, programmed the TX, and set up the control surfaces and throws. This project is almost complete! It's been a GREAT fun build to this point!

Name: 001.JPG
Views: 49
Size: 1.13 MB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Size: 652.8 KB
Description:

Name: 003.JPG
Views: 37
Size: 1.15 MB
Description: Name: 004.JPG
Views: 51
Description:

The last item that I have to complete is the installation of the king post I fabricated and the rigging wires on the top and bottom of the wing. This rigging is just for the scale look that I want. Not required at all for structural purpose! Just for fun!

Name: 005.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 923.8 KB
Description:

These are the parts that I used for this final step!

Rob T.
Jun 25, 2016, 09:21 PM
IT'S DONE!

The SSX Slow Stick Ultralight conversion is complete! Finished up the wing rigging today and now it is ready for the maiden flight!

Name: 006.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 653.1 KB
Description: Name: 007.JPG
Views: 48
Size: 1.02 MB
Description:

Name: 008.JPG
Size: 1.09 MB
Description: Name: 009.JPG
Views: 60
Description:

Name: 010.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 737.5 KB
Description: Name: 011.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 671.0 KB
Description:

I hope someone might want to give this build a try! it was great fun, and I think it will make a great Sunday flyer!

Here is the list of suppliers that I used for this build. They have great products and there service is the best!!

http://www.millenniumrc.com/ (James) SSX Slow Stick Trainer Kit.

http://www.micro-flight.com/index.htm (Mario) MIA Ultralight Trike Gear conversion kit.

http://www.rcdude.com/default.asp (Randy) Cobra 2217/16 1180Kv Brushless Motor a Cobra 40A ESC with 6A Switching BEC, and a Scorpion Back-up Guard stand by back up system.

Thanks to you all!!

Rob T.

SO! Whats next?! Slow Stick Twin?? Who knows, stay tuned!!
Last edited by twwd; Jun 26, 2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add on
Jun 27, 2016, 09:07 AM
Addicted to Twins
Looks great. Good job. Waiting for flight report. Good luck
Jun 27, 2016, 02:19 PM
Nice job Rob! Looks fantastic. Let us know how that maiden flight goes.
Jun 27, 2016, 08:21 PM
Today was the maiden flight at the AMA field! Light wind out of the East right down the runway. Perfect morning for the flight.

The 1st flight was scary to say the least! I was lucky to get it down and landed. We found the wing incidence was way off to the neg. side. On landing the steerable nose gear bound up and flipped it over, and broke a prop.

After 4 more flights and lots of trim work it started to fly quite well. This conversion does not like to much power!(50%throttle was good) After some shop time to make some changes, I think it will make a great fun flying plane.

All in All I am pleased with this build!!

Rob T.
Jun 27, 2016, 08:29 PM
Addicted to Twins
Thx for the report. Maybe some video next time.
Jun 28, 2016, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd
Today was the maiden flight at the AMA field! Light wind out of the East right down the runway. Perfect morning for the flight.

The 1st flight was scary to say the least! I was lucky to get it down and landed. We found the wing incidence was way off to the neg. side. On landing the steerable nose gear bound up and flipped it over, and broke a prop.

After 4 more flights and lots of trim work it started to fly quite well. This conversion does not like to much power!(50%throttle was good) After some shop time to make some changes, I think it will make a great fun flying plane.

All in All I am pleased with this build!!

Rob T.
Nice work Rob!
What was the final wing incidence?
Jun 28, 2016, 06:14 PM
Hi James,

I will have to add about 3/8"to 1/2" to the front mount to level it out! I did double check the rigging wires to make sure there was no pulling on the wing from the wires.

I made shims at the field to temporally raise the front of the wing about 3/8" and that helped a great deal. A little more modification work and it will fly great!

Rob T.
Jun 28, 2016, 06:56 PM
Addicted to Twins
Rob I was just looking at you building board. Noticed the jelly beans. Ca doesn't stick to the Saran Wrap how many times has a jelly bean got stuck to your fingers. Lol
Jun 29, 2016, 12:14 AM
Hi Crash,

Got to have my jelly beans! I am hooked for sure!

Did not have any problem with jelly beans getting stuck, but you know how CA just seems to your fingers!

Rob T.