SSX Slow Stick Ultralight - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 02, 2016, 06:24 PM
Today I have started the main wing build! There are no lay down type planes with this build! Millennium dose provide a build manual and there are two or three build sites on RCGroups for the SSX Slow Stick Trainer. This is just one of them that I use!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1182842

Name: 001.JPG
Views: 51
Size: 1.02 MB
Description: Name: 002.JPG
Views: 41
Size: 1.04 MB
Description:

Name: 003.JPG
Views: 47
Size: 1.09 MB
Description:

I am building the Trainer wing! Which means this wing will have some dihedral which will have the look of the old full scale Quicksilver Ultralight!

Rob T.

Make sure to carefully follow the instructions, it very easy to make mistakes!
Last edited by twwd; Jun 02, 2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2016, 09:13 PM
Spent some time today working on the wing! I have both halves completed and just about ready to join together.

Views: 50
Size: 1.11 MB
Views: 51
Size: 1.13 MB
Description:

Views: 54
Size: 1.10 MB
Description:

Bringing the Trike Gear and the SSX Slow Stick together has not been tried before to my knowledge, and it will be different in that it is a built up balsa slow stick and not foam. Most foam slow flyers have 46" to 48" wing span, but the SSX is only 42.5" so it will look a little different, and fly different.

Going to be interesting to say the least! Won't be the first different aircraft that I have ever built!! This to me is what makes our hobby so much fun!

Rob T.
Jun 03, 2016, 10:25 PM
Seems like your trike/airplane combo there is going to be a faster flying "ultralight". The balsa built-up wings have to be a bit heavier than the cheesy GWS stock foam wings and a bit shorter like you mentioned. I'm wondering about that very thick and symmetrical airfoil too compared to the stock 2D wing. You should still have relatively low wing loading numbers but I bet it will take more speed than your typical slow stick for level flight. Without any dihedral in that wing it would be down-right aerobatic and even 3D with enough power.

Can't wait to see the final results.
Jun 04, 2016, 01:11 PM
Hi Randy,

Not really sure what this thing is going to do! As far as the wing goes I do have the wing from my first SSX Slow Stick build that is flat with no dihedral that will fit on this build as well. Sorta got the best of both worlds because the wings will interchange!

Believe me or not I am trying to do a small scale mockup of the full scale Quicksilver Ultralight! (just for fun)

I do think the Cobra 2217/16 1180Kv will make a good power system for this bird!

This is all just an experiment, and not sure what will happen! Onward & Upward ( I hope)

Rob T
Jun 05, 2016, 08:29 PM
Way to hot to fly today! So I managed to get more building time on my Slow Stick Ultralight.

I am installing wing wire rigging to my wing! I used blind nuts for the screws that will attach the wing wires up to the root tube. The Trike Gear kit came with carbon fiber rods. (for use on a foam wing) I chose not to try and use them and went with the wire system and my own mounting system.

Name: 004.JPG
Views: 52
Size: 1.12 MB
Description: Name: 001.JPG
Views: 47
Size: 1.18 MB
Description:

Name: 002.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 693.4 KB
Description: Name: 003.JPG
Views: 36
Description:

Those of you that might be familiar with full scale Quicksilver Ultralight (which I owned and flew) you would know what the root tube was! This is a post that ran vertical from the top center of the wing and the wing rigging wires attached to the tube to keep the wing from collapsing in flight!

Name: quicksilver blue.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 163.7 KB
Description:

These wire are really not required for this build, but are more for just a little more scale presentation.

Rob T.
Jun 06, 2016, 08:02 PM
Monday is my usual flying day along with some of my very special friends!

Having a group of guys you can meet up with ounce a week is another one of those very special occasions that make this hobby what it is for me! I really do have some great flying buddies!

Well today I did not fly! It was just to darn HOT! 115 deg. today! Love these Arizona Summers!: So today I got some more building time in, and I now have the two wing halves just about complete and ready to join together.

Views: 44
Views: 37
Description:

Size: 1.18 MB
Description:

Next will come some sanding to level up the two halves where they meet in the center, and install the dihedral wing joiner then glue the two halves together.

Rob T.
Last edited by twwd; Jun 06, 2016 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add
Jun 07, 2016, 07:47 PM
I decided to go ahead and finish up the rest of the wing components instead of gluing up the two wing halves!

Views: 44
Size: 974.7 KB
Views: 38
Size: 1.04 MB
Description:

The ailerons where all I had left to do to have a completed wing. My next step will be to sand the wing and the ailerons, put the two wing halves together and then start on the tail feathers.

My covering material (Monocote Royal Blue) and the wing rigging materials will be arriving tomorrow. Still have lots to do!

Rob T.
Jun 09, 2016, 08:41 PM
Today I built the tail section of the project. As it stands now all the major wood building is complete and ready for sanding and the final assembly!

Views: 40
Size: 1.14 MB
Views: 43
Description:

Views: 39
Size: 1.07 MB
Description: Name: 004.JPG
Size: 1.16 MB
Description:

Name: 005.JPG
Views: 45
Description:

The next two photos show the unique way the hinge slots are done on the Millennium SSX Slow Stick builds. They are pre-cut wedges that fit into a slot that is pre-cut into all control surfaces. This sure dose take the guess work out of cutting the slots for the CA hinges!

Name: 006.JPG
Views: 38
Description: Name: 007.JPG
Views: 34
Size: 1.14 MB
Description:

On to sanding!

Rob T.
Jun 11, 2016, 07:05 PM
Spent some time today and finished up sanding all the parts and prepared them for covering.

Views: 32
Description: Name: 004.JPG
Views: 28
Description:

I am using Monokote Royal Blue for the main covering, and I may be using Monokote Red and Cub Yellow for the stripes on the main wing and rudder!

Views: 45
Size: 1.13 MB
Description:

Rob T.
Jun 12, 2016, 07:22 PM
All the covering is cut and ready to apply, but before I do the covering I decided to fabricate the king post (root tube) and fit it to the wing before I covered it. The post can be removed if need be.

i fabricated the post from a 1/4" hard wood dowel and inserted a bolt in the top end and that is where the rigging wires will be attached.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 681.6 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Size: 700.4 KB
Description:

Name: 004.JPG
Views: 41
Size: 870.3 KB
Description: Name: 005.JPG
Views: 43
Size: 904.8 KB
Description:

Name: 006.JPG
Views: 31
Size: 1.08 MB
Description:

The king post will be painted and reinstalled after covering. The king post and the rigging wires are not functional, but add a little scale presence to the build!

Rob T.
Jun 15, 2016, 06:36 PM
The covering is now complete so now I can move onto the hinging process (CA type)! Then I start the final assembly process.

Views: 39
Size: 1.07 MB
Views: 50
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:

I used Monokote Royal Blue with red and yellow Monokote for the stripes.

Rob T.
Jun 15, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd
The covering is now complete so now I can move onto the hinging process (CA type)! Then I start the final assembly process.
Rob T.

Very nice covering job. I have a 100" wingspan Stinson Reliant that is almost ready for you to come over and cover for me. I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to get that done for me.
Jun 16, 2016, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovan
Very nice covering job. I have a 100" wingspan Stinson Reliant that is almost ready for you to come over and cover for me. I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to get that done for me.
Randy,

Thank you very much, but I am not that good! A 100" wing span would require that I have 3 to 4 extra rolls of covering to cover my mistakes!

Rob T.
Jun 19, 2016, 04:19 PM
Now that all the frame work and covering has been completed I can now start the final fabrication of the Ultralight.

Views: 23
Size: 1.09 MB
Description: Name: 001.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 736.5 KB
Description:

Name: 002.JPG
Views: 30
Description:

The aileron servos have been installed, and the tail feathers have been attached to the carbon fiber fuse. I did install the tail wheel assembly, but just as a support and not operable, because I do have the steerable nose wheel.

Rob T.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:12 PM
Today I had sometime to work on the Slow Stick Ultralight, and I mounted the elevator and the rudder servos and connected the linkage up. I also mounted the motor and my battery trays.

Name: 001.jpg
Size: 862.8 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 703.5 KB
Description:

Tomorrow I hope to get the trike gear mounted and set up my CG!

Rob T.