May 19, 2016, 05:20 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Discussion

NGH 17cc or Evolution 20cc

Hey All,

I have been doing some research on the models mentioned above, and although there is some information on both, there is nothing for me to 'take in' as to which to buy.

For some background, I am looking at a summer project and the plane that I want needs to have its nose 'shortened' a bit. I wont tell you what project just yet, as it may be dead in the water without some info.

Anyway, it requires a .50-.60 size nitro engine, but I am allergic to nitro..lol, so I need to look into a gasser. I don't mind the weight penalty as with a shorted nose, I will need more weigh anyway. I wanted a 4C engine, but again, the shortening means I will need a shorter engine, and all the 4C engines have the carb at the rear...space I don't have. I also need a wraparound muffler, so these two are perfect candidates.. shorter, front carb and wraparound mufflers is what I need.

There is some question over the reliability of the NGH, and the carb on the Evolution seems to have caused some heartache for users.

If anyone has either or both of these, and would be prepared to offer some advice, please chime in.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2016, 07:21 AM
As support for NGH engines is so lacking compared to the Evo line, this is a no brainer to me. It would be the Evo 20 hands down.

The carb problem you mention was regarding the smaller Evo gassers to my knowledge (10 and 15cc), that relied on muffler pressure for fuel flow. That's now taken care of, as all new production engines are equipped with carbs with internal fuel pumps.
May 19, 2016, 10:55 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Thread OP
Yeah, that's one of the assumptions I made from what I read. I'm not too concerned about the cost difference if it runs properly...availability is a factor too..
I know though, that some people are quite happy with the NGH, I'd rather not be in the camp of those that don't.
I may even get away with the 15cc Evo, but would opt up to 20 if it fits, and have to add less weight.
May 19, 2016, 02:31 PM
I kill throttle servos
I know there is no room for a rear carb, but the best option would be the DLE 20. From a company that actually knows how a gasser works...
May 19, 2016, 04:57 PM
He who stalls....falls!
+1 for DLE20

If you can't cut nose of further to accommodate, maybe a recessed firewall
mounted deeper in the fuz., leaving remnants of original firewall if you need
to mount cowl or something.

Hard to know without having airframe details, just a possible alternative.
May 21, 2016, 07:23 PM
I have the NGH 17cc. I originally had it in a Cloud Dancer and it ran pretty well but was finicky getting it tuned. After the CD crashed I put it in a H-9 P-47 but I found I had to run it very rich on the ground so it wouldn't lean out in the air, it still dead sticked on me a couple of times. The muffler is long and takes up room to the rear so I would mount it backwards, then the front of the muffler is just behind the prop hub. It leaks exhaust to, messy black goo, I called it scale oil on the P-47 LOL. I retired it and replaced it with a Valley View RC 20cc.
May 21, 2016, 07:39 PM
I've got and evo 10 and it's a strong engines, but it put black slop on the plane, I had a rcgf 15 cc and it was a great runner, I'm trying to get some time to work in my 20 cc, since they're in america I would give the guys at rcgf a try

Quick Reply