May 19, 2016, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Quanum FollowMe Drone ***owners thread***

Hi there,
i thought i should start a thread so we all have a place to share our our experiences with this new drone

So far Im less than happy with mine
the gimbal is very shaky and follow me function is pretty bad

The hardware they have used is great
it will chase at over 35kph and is capable of fights 15 mins plus

the wrist watch is very simple to use, and seams to lock on the craft well. It would be nice if the buttons were marked so you didnt have to carry around manual

camera is excellent and easy to connect via downloadable app of product page

The hardware they have used is great
it will chase at over 35kph and is capable of fights 15 mins plus

No its not waterproof ,drone or control

will it follow you up a hill no!!

Thats were the fun stops
this thing is dangerous it has no geo fence around the control watch and has almost hit me a few times

it loses alt when in follow me

follows to close so your rarely in the shot

doesn't auto control gimbal tilt

the camera is not powered from the craft so you have to make sure the battery topped up everyflight

the battery has to be charged using the supplied charger
if you connect to smart charger it will show a disparity in voltages total V at xt60 12.6v Ballence leads 4.0V each this causes the pack to not completely fill up

and there is no way to control is distance from you when in follow me

no way to calibrate compass (maybe it doesnt have one)

I have contacted customer care about my concerns
and got no were so far

Im sure most of these isusses are easy fixed with a little tuning or a firmware upgrade

As there is no talk of how to do that or what program to use or gui
This is why im reaching out to others

this product is so close to great just needs some finesse!!

Please check out my youtube clips
unboxing
Quanum FollowMe drone review UNBOXING, Simtoo dragonfly clone? (10 min 0 sec)

Weights and sizes
Quanum FollowMe drone indepth look review Simtoo dragonfly clone? (16 min 29 sec)

Binding procedure
Quanum FollowMe Binding procedure (7 min 3 sec)

Flight modes and test footage
Quanum FollowMe Review Flight mode test and video quality 1080p 60fps (9 min 33 sec)

More too follow
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2016, 02:30 PM
my RC. Your info
Not a lot of activity here (yet).. I got me one too, and here are my first impressions + a first test flight:

DutchRC - Quanum FollowMe Aerial Videography Drone - Show & Tell + Test Flight (22 min 47 sec)
May 26, 2016, 02:29 AM
Fear only fear in life
I only watched your last video and it is very disappointing. A lot of shaking, the follow-me problems, not for me thank you
May 26, 2016, 02:24 PM
isnt there an apm in there? hook it up to mission planner.

you can cal your compass and do all sorts of other stuff.

of course the video is terrible, it's a walkera gimbal.
May 26, 2016, 03:02 PM
Fear only fear in life
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer

of course the video is terrible, it's a walkera gimbal.
This was done with a Walkera G-2D, the problem is not the gimball, it is the third axis, the jaw axis that is not there

Francois en Arzelle Smuts se troue by Makiti Sunset wedding venue (4 min 41 sec)
May 26, 2016, 04:21 PM
my RC. Your info
It sure isn't perfect as-is.. vibrations for one.. A bit of PID tuning might help to get rid of that.. Some balancing of props proabably won't be a bad thing eighter..

Here is some test-footage I shot today:
DRC RAW - Quanum FollowMe Drone - Test footage - 2016-05-26 (9 min 59 sec)
May 26, 2016, 07:23 PM
The two axis gimbal, and a poor one at that, makes this a sucker's buy. With a proper three axis gimbal, like the tiny2 or similar, and they might have something.

The onboard video shown in this thread is beyond terrible for a 2016 product.
May 26, 2016, 07:40 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJustin
The two axis gimbal, and a poor one at that, makes this a sucker's buy. With a proper three axis gimbal, like the tiny2 or similar, and they might have something.

The onboard video shown in this thread is beyond terrible for a 2016 product.
To be fair it's 1/3 to 1/4 the price of an AirDog so expecting it to be up to snuff may be asking too much?

It is amazing that these companies would rather pump out "suckers quads" at a super low price as opposed to spending a little more money and coming up with something decent.

It is one cool looking piece of kit, tho!
And, realistically, it's not like everyone who buys one needs to post HQ videos....more of a selfie machine for friends and family?
May 26, 2016, 07:45 PM
Quote:
What Craig said
It's entire purpose in life it to take video and photos... The gimbal is therefore central to its existence. Using a garbage gimbal results in an overall garbage product. I mean, you can't look at that footage and claim it's passable for any use at this point in time, can you? A few years ago, maybe, but not now.

Otherwise, yeah, it looks good. I love the small pack-down size. Personally I would never put something in the air I couldn't control with sticks, but I understand there is a market for such a thing.
May 26, 2016, 07:51 PM
my RC. Your info
I actually don't really have a problem with the gimbal (so far!) .. I do have several good 3-axis gimbals, and sure.. a 3-axis gimbal would have been better..

At this point the real problem I have with the video-quality are the vibrations.. It's not a high frequency vibration.. so I suspect it's due to PID tuning, rather then prop inbalance (?)
May 27, 2016, 02:08 AM
Fear only fear in life
I do not own one and have no intention buying one, but at the price point it is not bad value for money, some setting up and configuring and you might have a half decent product. The gimbal is really not that bad but it is a 2 axis with 2 axis results on the jaw axis. Maybe HK should consider giving you the option of swapping the gimbal for a 3 axis but then the buyer will have to be aware of lowered flight times.

It would actually be nice if you could buy it without gimbal or camera as I really do not like the camera and for me is a unnecessary expense
May 27, 2016, 07:05 AM
my RC. Your info
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer

Yes.. I can now confirm that. APM Missionplanner recognises the board, and you can indeed do compas / accel. calibrations.
You allso have access to the PID tuning.. That opens up possibilities
Jul 16, 2016, 05:16 AM

Any sucsess??

Hello, have the same dronish piece of plastic and i am very curious about if u got it to fly better and how to connect it. Did you jist uae the micro usb?
Jul 16, 2016, 08:13 AM
my RC. Your info
yep. the usb-port inside the lipo-bay indeed.. I did get mine flying better BUT the follow-me function refused to do anything on mine. I think I just got a dud, so I sent it back to HK..
Aug 09, 2016, 03:48 PM
any news? i'm interested to buy a portable drone because i flight (airplane) a lot because i'm a travel photographer.. some time i make some video trailer about my trip (cambodia, myanmar etc)

i really want a djj phantom 4, but it not fit in my back pack (hand back pack) , i also see other "portable" drone like: ceewa s1 / gdu byrd etc.. but cost aprox. 1000 usd and in my opinion for the same price the quality of a djj phantom is better..

si i "decide" to buy a simtoo and mount my xiaomy yi 4k, but i'm scared because on youtube video i saw a lot jello effect and shaking..

anyone have solved it? new firmware? other better gimball?

Quick Reply