May 17, 2016, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
New Product

DJ-105, FREE 3d printed Brushless Nano FPV quad with prop guards

STL files are now up on thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1580385

For those without 3d printer access you can buy prints from me on etsy.

Complete frame set: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2817826..._home_active_1

Top frame: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2952945..._home_active_4
Bottom frame: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2817823..._home_active_2
3d printed accessories: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2817821..._home_active_3

You will need the following hardware to complete this frame:
14x- 20mm M3 Nylon standoff
28x- 6mm M3 Nylon screw

Multirotormania has a great selection of colored nylon hardware. http://www.multirotormania.com/80-colored-nylon-
Key points for this design:

-105mm size with complete prop guards
-Symmetrical design
-Fullsize naze flight controller
-3d printed in nylon for extreme crash resistance
-1105b power on 3s batteries (should be 1304 4s capable) and 2535 rotorx props
-Support 808 #16 recording camera

Business Man (3 min 15 sec)

DJ105-Bulletproof (2 min 12 sec)

I want to start by saying that i've been flying the RS90 designed by Brianc93 for the past few months and it has completely stoked my interest in nano sized quads. Brian did a fantastic job designing and bringing the RS90 kit to market. His design is truly the ultimate indoor FPV quad. I love the RS90 for its small size and the safety of its nylon frame and prop guards, but for outdoor acro flight it falls a bit short. The frame limits the props to cut down 2535's which limits the thrust. Coming from a zero throttle dive it is difficult to recover due to lack of thrust. The frame also could be a little beefier, especially by using 3mm hardware instead of 2mm.

So I set out to take the things I love about the RS90 and incorporate them into a design better suited for my type of outdoor flying. I often fly at parks and wanted to stick to the small size and safety, and innocence of the prop guards. What i've come up with is a 105mm symmetrical quad built for the 1105b rotorX motors and 2535 fullsize props. This build will also incorporate a fullsize naze 32 which will be a cheap, easily available flight control while supporting easy USB connections and s.bus control. I plan to print both the upper and lower plate out of nylon as with the RS90 I found this was plenty stiff enough for good flight characteristics but also had enough give that it was extremely crash resistant and safe.
old build components:

Rotor X 1105b 6500kv motors
Rotor X 2535 quad props
FVT littlebee 20a escs
Naze 32 acro with betaflight
Micro Frx Frsky receiver
120 degree 520tvl survelizone camera
TBS unify Pro VTX
Nanotech 65c 450mah batteries

New Build components:

RCX 1304 4000kv motors (highly recommended on both 3s and 4s)
Pulse 4s 450mah racing lipo
Furious FPV Piko BLX
Runcam Owl
Last edited by JonnyJ; Sep 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2016, 07:01 PM
Good luck man, Ill be watching your progress.
May 17, 2016, 07:45 PM
Good luck ,, sounds like a great barn burner !!!! Will be watching to see how it turns out .
May 17, 2016, 09:47 PM
Are you thinking of using the 4 blade or 2 blade configuration for the props?

This looks really interesting, contact me if you want a beta tester, I can print nylon parts.
May 17, 2016, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadkins1981
Are you thinking of using the 4 blade or 2 blade configuration for the props?

This looks really interesting, contact me if you want a beta tester, I can print nylon parts.
Martin from RotorX has stated that the 2 blade version has higher overall thrust. But that the 4 blade has greater mid range thrust. I think it will be worth testing both and seeing which flies best.
May 17, 2016, 11:46 PM
Registered User Friendly
subscribed! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
May 18, 2016, 12:09 AM
Thread OP
A little evolution shot. Prototype in PLA. nylon soon.
May 18, 2016, 12:27 AM
Registered User Friendly
Hey JJ, could you also include a pico camera mount or would that just add too much weight?
May 18, 2016, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValHeli
Hey JJ, could you also include a camera mount or would that just add too much weight?
Which type of camera? I'm planning to design two FPV cam mounts that fit inside the front of the frame. One for the pico wide v2 camera/xat520 the other for the $10 170 degree cam.

I'm also planning to design a top mounted setup for a decased 808 #16 recording camera.
May 18, 2016, 12:40 AM
Registered User Friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyJ
Which type of camera? I'm planning to design two FPV cam mounts that fit inside the front of the frame. One for the pico wide v2 camera/xat520 the other for the $10 170 degree cam.

I'm also planning to design a top mounted setup for a decased 808 #16 recording camera.

i'll take ALL of the above
May 18, 2016, 12:45 AM
Registered User Friendly
btw, what are your thoughts on pricing? Are you also planning on selling kits? BNF?
May 18, 2016, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValHeli
btw, what are your thoughts on pricing? Are you also planning on selling kits? BNF?
No bind and fly. The files will be free for anyone with access to a printer. For those without access to a printer I'll probably do $10 for each plate of the frame and $10 for camera/vtx/808 mounts as well. So ($30 total for all the 3d printed parts). Everything else will have links to order from various sources.
May 18, 2016, 06:09 AM
I am wondering if there is a way to design this so that if you have to replace either the top or bottom, that you only have to do minimal soldering. I have had to replace the top and bottom plates of the RS90 and the top plate can be a pain in the butt, as I have to re-wire the VTX, Camera, the motors, and re-mount the ESCs.
May 18, 2016, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnr1089
I am wondering if there is a way to design this so that if you have to replace either the top or bottom, that you only have to do minimal soldering. I have had to replace the top and bottom plates of the RS90 and the top plate can be a pain in the butt, as I have to re-wire the VTX, Camera, the motors, and re-mount the ESCs.
This should be much easier as nothing is through frame like on the rs90. Everything will sit on the frame with zip ties and bolts. So if you damage the frame you should be able to move everything without soldering.
May 18, 2016, 11:17 AM
As a current RS90 (DPO3) and Atom (1105b) owner I am very interested. I also have access to a 3d printer and would be happy to help in the prototyping stages if you are interested.

Quick Reply