LiPo battery storing options + tests (with lots of fire!) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 15, 2016, 03:02 PM
In progress...
Discussion

LiPo battery storing options + tests (with lots of fire!)

Hey guys.

EDIT//
Bat-Safe test on 3rd page!

Since many people keep a bunch of Lipo batteries at home we decided to test different options for storing them to find the safest one. How do You store Your lipos at home, office or while transporting?

How to store LiPo battery safely - In depth LiPo fire tests (11 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Skewp; Jan 03, 2018 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2016, 04:05 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
At home in an ammo box with part of the rubber seal cut out under a sprinkler head.

Transporting in a plastic tool box along with charger etc.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
May 16, 2016, 02:53 PM
In progress...
Removing or cutting the seal is a great idea. Here is a comparisson of two boxes. One had seal removed, other did not.

May 16, 2016, 03:18 PM
I use an ammo box. Seal still there, but I drilled a small hole for vent.
May 16, 2016, 06:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skewp
Hey guys.

Since many people keep a bunch of Lipo batteries at home we decided to test different options for storing them to find the safest one. How do You store Your lipos at home, office or while transporting?
GREAT JOB guys!!

The videos of the sand bag itself being a flame source are something I don't think many might have expected. Kind of puts a damper on using plastic as a sand container.

Glad to see the unsealed ammo box pass with flying colors.

But DANG, look at all that smoke and how that could fill a house but better smoke than fire.\

In regards to the lipo bags, the quality is really variable. Some work well (ie. LipoSack) while others are no better than a paper bag. I wouldn't suggest a lipo bag to anyone unless that specific item has been proven to work.

( I've added your thread to the info in my sticky above.)
Last edited by hoppy; May 16, 2016 at 08:08 PM.
May 17, 2016, 01:10 AM
I always store mine at a storage charge level, so the chance of a fire starting in the first place is minimal.
May 17, 2016, 12:38 PM
In progress...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
I use an ammo box. Seal still there, but I drilled a small hole for vent.
A small hole should also work but I personally find removing the seal a better option since everything that might want to come out (flames, hot pieces) has to bounce against the lid before it is able to come out. A perfect box would have even more complicated way for the pressure to pass by to filter out everything else besides smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
GREAT JOB guys!!

The videos of the sand bag itself being a flame source are something I don't think many might have expected. Kind of puts a damper on using plastic as a sand container.

Glad to see the unsealed ammo box pass with flying colors.

But DANG, look at all that smoke and how that could fill a house but better smoke than fire.\

In regards to the lipo bags, the quality is really variable. Some work well (ie. LipoSack) while others are no better than a paper bag. I wouldn't suggest a lipo bag to anyone unless that specific item has been proven to work.

( I've added your thread to the info in my sticky above.)
We also did not expect that the plastic bag will be a flame source. The sand itself is a good idea but it needs some more work to make a more complicated solution.

We are currently looking for some more expensive LiPo safety bags that "will definitely work" to test the out, too.

Thanks for the sticky add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S
I always store mine at a storage charge level, so the chance of a fire starting in the first place is minimal.
Definitely a smart approach. We tested also matching LiPos full/storage voltage + physical damage and we found out the obvious - full batteries have more power stored in them and they are more violent when abused. While batteries in storage voltage mostly just produced some smoke then full batteries were more violent and also had flames coming out.
May 17, 2016, 01:23 PM
Space Coast USA
Refernece better bags - the first and original. LipoSack

For a better box, look at this "arriving soon" box. http://www.bat-safe.com/web/
May 17, 2016, 01:52 PM
I like the Bat Safe but it will have to be a reasonable price to make it attractive to everyone.
May 17, 2016, 04:48 PM
Endurance, Altitude, and Range
This is exactly the reason why I chose to go the A123 and LifePo4 route.
May 23, 2016, 07:16 PM

Charging IN sand?

Has anyone experimented with charging IN sand? Since sand will put out a fire perhaps it would contain one also? And because I doubt sand in the battery is bad I would envision the battery being in some type of container which is then in the sand.

Could it be a good idea?
May 23, 2016, 07:21 PM
It would be a good idea if you're planning to abuse your battery.
May 23, 2016, 08:40 PM
Thankfully I am pretty nice on my batteries
May 24, 2016, 12:53 PM
In progress...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Refernece better bags - the first and original. LipoSack

For a better box, look at this "arriving soon" box. http://www.bat-safe.com/web/
Thanks for the LipoSack link, I will try to get my hands on one to test them out.
May 25, 2016, 05:48 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Thank you VERY MUCH for this video. I rarely if ever watch a video that's more than 2-3 minutes long but I watched the whole thing. I store all my batteries in ammo cans and leave the lid ajar. I will store them from now on with the rubber seals removed and lids latched. Should probably put something under them a little more robust than carpet too.

Quick Reply