Feb 01, 2002, 05:23 PM
Thread OP

New Video of Gary Wright's Kwik-E

Had a chance to go flying with Gary the other day. All I have to say is you guys are in for a real treat with the Kwik-E. This little ship really moves.

I just sold my Sokol...

I had a chance to fly the Kwik-E and here are my thoughts:

The design is very simple looking. Building should be a snap.

Launching is simple

You will see in the video that Gary throws the plane power off then hits the throttle. (not on a regular basis...just to show how easy launching is)

Landing is a peice of cake

It slows down much slower than your typical speed 400 pylon plane

The stuff in between

It moves...

much faster than my stock Sokol.....pulls through turns really well...

I think the video explains a lot more that I can write.

A few words about the video...

Turn on your sound if your computer has it...the motor/prop really screams

Sorry about the wind in my microphone...it's only a couple of seconds.

I had a real hard time keeping the plane centered on the screen...90-110+ mph isn't easy to film.

Hope you like it!

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/video.htm

Regards,

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Meyers; Feb 01, 2002 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2002, 07:16 PM
D.G.B.

SWEET&FAST!!!!!!!!!

Jeff nice video.Your rite that thing is FAST!!!!! Does it build as fast as it flys? Garry looks like another winner! stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by............
Latest blog entry: phasor 15-4 old skool
Feb 01, 2002, 11:15 PM
it looks fast, but not 100 mph. looks about like an electrostreak on a cobat 15 and 8-10 cells. might just be hard to tell in the video though.
Feb 01, 2002, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Cue,

I have never seen an Electrostreak with the said power system. Therefore, I can't comment on that plane. Let's remember...the Kwik-E is getting this performance from a $20 motor...not an Astro.

However, Gary has had the Kwik-E clocked on radar at 92 mph in level flight. I feel that I am a pretty decent judge of speed. Based on what I saw...I am going to agree that the radar readings were valid.
Feb 01, 2002, 11:29 PM
Just commenting on what I saw, the electrostreak also flys that fast on a $20 mag meyham or endo. Embat is probably faster from what i hear.
I have seen many flying delta wings with .30 size glo motors on them doing 90mph, and they look alot faster than any, kwik e or electrostreak so thats what im judging it by.
Feb 02, 2002, 01:16 AM
son of a pilot
Any chance to add landing gear to this airplane?

Scott
Last edited by Scott C; Feb 02, 2002 at 01:30 AM.
Feb 02, 2002, 07:17 AM
Come on, Scott! Landing gear would be a DRAG! That's what your cutie is for!

Nice video..
..a
Feb 02, 2002, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Correction on the radar gun...

82 mph in level flight with panasonic 3000's...a little faster with nicads

Scott,

I really like landing gear on my planes....but this one is a belly flopper...no doubt
Feb 02, 2002, 09:40 AM
the intent of this plane is to offer something that's fairly quick,.. around sp400 racing speeds, but on a low budget. Yes, I know an endoplasma is more expensive than a sp400,.. but only $10~$15 or so more, however, the kit will be less than 1/2 the cost of a good sp400 pylon plane, the endo will last a lot longer than a sp400 setup for racing, and the plane is very easy to launch/land. I'm getting around 4 minutes with CP1700's (what's in the plane in the video), and 6 minutes with some old 3000 hydrides that charge to about 2600~2700, so the inflight current goes way down from the static current that's in the 40's, and those times are wide-open the entire flight. With some throttle usage for sport flying,.. flights are a lot longer of course. Komet,.. it does build fairly fast. The white one in the video was framed up one night in just a few hours,.. and I took a lot of pictures during that construction. Covering was another evening,.. although if I hadn't been taking pictures and notes (for instructions) I could have probably got it framed up and covered in one long evening. Everything is slot and tab, all parts are labeled with laser etching, and it builds without plans. I'll be working on instructions again this weekend, so release will hopefully be soon.
Latest blog entry: blog
Feb 02, 2002, 10:24 AM
Motors beat engines!
"Just commenting on what I saw, the electrostreak also flys that fast on a $20 mag meyham or endo."

Hey guys, if I'm not mistaken, the typical e-streak mag mayhem combo is 8 cells and a 7x5 right? Ps for this is only 68 mph, with 24 amps static.

The ps for Gary's plane is about 100 at about 40 amps static, AND Gary's planes wing is about 70 in/sq smaller.

I guess I'm having a tough time beliving the estreak could possibly go the same speed as Gary's plane without significantly higher power input.

Has anyone actually timed an e-streak, or is this all just heresay and conjecture?
Feb 02, 2002, 11:18 AM
Sweet looking flyer. Is there any chance that you will offer just the plans for sale, for those of us sickies who would rather build from a plan than your laser cut kit
Feb 02, 2002, 12:02 PM
Actually, there are no plans. It was designed with an "outline" in CAD,.. with the structure just "in my head". I drew all the components, had it cut, and it went together as planned, slot and tab. I did make some revisions and ended up building 3 prototypes,.. the final version being the one on video. It's designed to go together without plans, and still have everything straight, sort of like a jigsaw puzzle. the wing can mostly be fit together without glue due to the design. Yes,.. you do glue it though

On another note, after what was written above, I had to go out and charge a battery and tach it. With the 6 cell CP1700 pack, it spins the 6X6 folder at 15,930 which is just below the recommended limit of 16K on that prop. of course it does unload quite a bit in the air, but i'm assuming the written "limits" are there for static tachometer readings. This would put the pitch speed in the low 90's. When we checked the speed it was with 3000 hydrides that I have written down as taching 14,400, which would "jive" with the 82mph reading, as the static pitch speed would have been around 86, and you lose some from drag, and gain some from unloading, so 82 with an 86 pitch speed sounds legit.
Latest blog entry: blog

Quick Reply