Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 21, 2004, 03:49 PM

Lipoly took fire today and burned for $4000 helicopter to death

Yes,

very sad story. A friend took his IonX Heli

You have two packs ( I think 5S4P each), connected in serial, which are
alone cost a fortune here, about $900 !
Add to this two controllers , one hacker B50, PCM receiver, digital servos, etc... and I heard it made a $4500 heli all counted.

On the ground, just before the take off, the batteries took fire, and they tried everything but it would not stop. Eventually, NOTHING is left from the heli. Just good luck it happened on the ground, outside the car, in an open space.

I don't want to think of this happening, while driving on a freeway or worse, while you are not at home.

This is just 2 pictures of what's left from the canopy, and from the batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2004, 04:17 PM
Space Coast USA
During charging PP?
Aug 21, 2004, 04:19 PM
I am not sure about this, I'll ask.

As if yes, then it could be a cell voltage balancing issue, indeed.
Aug 21, 2004, 04:25 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Who was the owner?
Aug 21, 2004, 04:26 PM
Facts first, from which lessons can be learned and blame placed.
Aug 21, 2004, 06:07 PM
5S4P x 2 in series is 40 cells, thats a pretty big MASS. If the cells were all packed together as they appear to be in the photo, then perhaps it was just a case of heat build up from the innermost cells, causing a chain reaction.!!! What was the heat of the day there.??? Paddy.
Aug 21, 2004, 07:56 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
Thunder Power?
Aug 21, 2004, 09:23 PM
Ouch.

Now I have to ask.... Why didn't they rip the packs off the heli and let the packs burn instead of the whole deal?
If it had been mine I would have done whatever it took to get them out before it did much damage.
I keep a pair of welding gloves nearby when I'm flying my fixed wing planes in case something like this happens. Even if the cells are already "going off" I think I could reach in and tear the packs out of the fuse which would destroy the plane but at least all of it wouldn't burn.

Bill
Aug 22, 2004, 01:28 AM

Patrick,

looks like it's time for your friend to fly your Wingo

The Red Baron
Aug 22, 2004, 05:47 AM
Patrick,

Can you post more details?

As it is, there's nothing to be learned from this event, other than the obvious fact that a big LiPo pack makes a big fire when something goes wrong. We'd like to try and figure out what went wrong, if we could.

- RD
Aug 22, 2004, 06:16 AM
Bill- Ever see a LiPo fire? When they go, the flame looks like a welding torch. The cells go one after the other, so you would have to time it right and hope that you're fast enough to get it off before the next cell went. If your not, you're gonna get a mighty big piece of flesh charred. I'd let the thing burn.

-Ben
Aug 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
Maybe a baseball bat or golf club would be the best tool for removing a burning battery from an aircraft.
Aug 22, 2004, 12:17 PM
Got some more details.

- The Lipoly battery is the one that comes with the Heli
- It happened while charging the batteries, and the batteries were on the heli, during this phase.

And no way !!! I won't give away my Wingo, especially if someone intends to burn it with some lipoly
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Aug 22, 2004 at 12:19 PM.
Aug 22, 2004, 12:26 PM
one game away...
Things may be different for helis but I know better than to charge while packs are in the aircraft.

Maybe mistake #1.....

matt
Aug 22, 2004, 12:32 PM
what kind of charger? Correct setting used? charged as 10s or 5s. Lots can go wrong, bigger packs make a bigger wrong. Agree with mistake #1 only charge in a non combustible vessel. Seem more in series the more likely an imbalance could result in a cell being overcharged. I would think taps or some kind of overcharge protection would be prudent when so many cells are in series. Too bad about the loss, that is a lot of money to watch burn up.