May 12, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hatch Covers Soling 50

I am missing a hatch cover 10 inches long by 4.75 inch opening tear drop shape like a Soling.Victor does not answer phone nor email?

Does anyone know of a tear drop cover that would fit?Any mfg. I can call?
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2016, 08:50 AM
Make one!Get some mylar heavy grade,cut a strip about 1 1/4" long enough to go around the entire lip on the boat.Put it on a flat table and bend with a long ruler at 90%.When applying the strip cut slots in the mylar lip so it will go around the corners,pull it tight and secure it with double sider sailmakers tape.Solicone or GOOP on a top to the lip you cut the slots into,trim off the excess when dry.Super light and fits better than the fiberglass hatch, mines been there for 15-20 years.It's easy
May 16, 2016, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
looks like a Soling50/ Vortex 50 hatch cover will fit?Does anyone know were I can purchase one?
May 17, 2016, 10:00 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Still no response from Victor? What Victor boat is this for?
If you have to make a cover, here is what I did to replace a lost Dumas fiberglass hatch cover.

Apply a layer or two of blue tape to the boat's coaming and deck to make it just a little bit larger. It also protects the finish in case you drip a little glue.

Take a narrow strip of thin plastic sheet stock and curve it around the coaming. You are going to laminate multiple layers together to be able to make the curve. Even if your strips aren't long enough, that's ok, just don't put all the butt joints in one place. By doing this on the boat you will have an exact match of the shape. Clamp and glue as needed. Once you have this ring, you can take it off and sand the top flat, but put it back on the boat before attaching the top.

While on the boat, cover the top with a thicker piece and sand all edges as needed. I made the top oversized just a bit so I didn't have to be too careful lining everything up.

My end result was not too bad. The original was slightly domed, but that would be a lot of sanding and I didn't feel that was too important. Of course the best would be finding a guy to vac-form it, but you would still need to make the pattern.

Dave

Quick Reply