May 12, 2016, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

T.U.R.D. Tactical Urban Recon Drone - MK1 - Traxxas E-Revo

I closed my thread in the Car Talk Sub forum. Don't think I put it in the right place. I think this is more suited for this build log.

I nicknamed this car Taz, but it's intended use is as a prototyping platform for a recon project I'm working on. So I guess the technical name I've given it is a TURD. lol

I have a lot planned for this car, and my experience says good preparation makes things a lot easier in the long run. I'm using a Graupner MZ-18 9-Ch TX, which has full telemetry cabability, but is intended for Air usage. I personally like this style TX over the pistol style, so it works for me. The car has a Graupner Electric Air Module which gives me individual cell voltages on the 6S setup, in addition to current draw on the batteries. The Graupner GPS module gives me position and velocity. I will get some better pictures later tonight as I tear it down in preparation for a center differential, sway bars, additional spring/shock assemblies to assist in handling all the extra weight, new front and rear body mounts and some other stuff.

Parking Garage Shenanigans:

Traxxas Revo "Taz" Parking Garage (4 min 50 sec)

Dressed up to go do some drifting post thunder storm. Front differential ring gear got stripped thanks to allowing someone else to drive.... So I removed the forward drive shaft and went RWD for a bit.

Traxxas Revo "Taz" Post Rain Run (6 min 37 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2016, 03:12 PM
Hunger isn't the answer!
To be honest, if you're going to use this as a ground drone/FPV setup, I would avoid the center differential, because the last thing you want is the truck getting stuck out somewhere, and having to go save it some ludicrous distance away from you.

That's not to say the center diff won't work, you can always pack it with 500k-1mil WGT differential fluid and get it semi-locked up for distance driving safety.

Quick Reply