This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 11, 2016, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Orange R620X V2 Telemetry Receiver // Why I love it! (combined with my DX8)

This is kind of an coward situation... I love Spektrum but now I have to talke about an Orange Receiver... well... it's just too good not to

This is the R620X V2 telemetry, SBus and DSMX (and DSM2) Receiver from HobbyKing

It might look huge compared to some other brands "small" receivers but DeCased and DePinned it isn't really that big...
...it actually fits nicely on top of my OpenPilot Revolution (F4 FC)

and CC3D (F1 FC)

or just strap it onto your quad (yeah, I am nuts, but I crashed it and it's fine )

but lets take a step back and just list what I like about it:
- DSMX (DSM2)
- Diversity
- SBus
- Telemetry
- two build in voltage sensors
- replaceable antennas

Let's look a bit closer at each point:
- DSMX (DSM2)
DSMX is way better then DSM2, less likely to get jammed, not that I hate DSM2 but not sure why you would go with DSM2 if you can have DSMX?

- Diversity
my quads are all (despite the Inductrix xD) made out of CF which blocks RF... and I am carrying lipos wich as well are known for blocking RF... other then that it's always good to watch out for polarity between Tx and Rx antennas... so to get a save link I feel like you should always go with diversity

- SBus
let's face it, the days of PPM are over^^ The SpekSats are already using their low latency protocol but for a normal receiver SBus is my choice (which should be equal)... sure you could do it the old PWM way... but who wants that many cables anymore?
Ah and despite it being 6ch (the smallest available), SBus ain't just 6ch, I think it's 12? I am using 8 right now^^)

- Telemetry
something I never really needed since I used an OSD with my FPV rigs and for LOS I used timers, but now that I have it it's really cool... I don't need to install an OSD or a voltage divider, I just connect the + from the Lipo/PDB to the Vb port (in case there is a common ground) on the receiver and I am good to go
one other thing is the signal strength as well as Fades/Holds/AntennaFades.
Thats pretty cool to check whether you should rethink your antenna placement (if one antenna fades more often the the other)... I don't fly that far but close to the ground which can be challenging for 2.4ghz, so nothing wrong with being save

- two build in voltage sensors
one ranging up to 50v or something like that, tested it up to 6s and it works without any voltage divider like you have to solder up for the D4R to not fry it^^
the other one is looking at the 5v input, haven't tested more then 2s, but it will show you how solid your 5v line is or if you are getting close to a brownout (more interesting for guys flying stuff with digital servos which can pull quite some current on the 5v line)
(you can see the + - from the lipo/pdb going into the voltage sensor)

- replaceable antennas
I hate soldered on antennas... not sure what FrSky was thinking (or not thinking^^) when they designed the XSR... I am not good with placing antennas somewhere save... so I chop them quite often when I crash hard... not much of a problem here, it's the same connector FrSky uses on the D4R and you know from the Orange Diversity Sat R110XL... so I have a few replacement Coax Antennas I can use laying around here
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; May 11, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2016, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Here are some pics from the other end of the telemetry

Just connected a 6s lipo to my Quad and armed it to get some voltage drops (spikes) and to let some variation pop up on the "saved" min / max screen

signal strength in the top left corner

Telemetry Overview (momentary lipo voltage / Rx voltage / RPM / Fades / Temp / Holdes)

Flight Log (Antenna Fades / Fades / Holdes)

Telemetry view with highlighted Voltags / RPM / Temp

Overview with recored Min / Max values for:
flight pack voltage / RPM / Temp / Rx voltage

I am not using a temp sensor, thats why it's just showing -17, that is not specific to this receiver, all my R620X show that
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; May 12, 2016 at 07:59 AM.
May 11, 2016, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
- thinking about add some videos here showing the Tx while flying -
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; May 11, 2016 at 06:44 PM.
May 17, 2016, 11:41 AM
I wasn't going to reply here because they are not in stock all the time and I'm selfish.
I tried to stay with spektrum. Got a ar8000 with my dx8 and even bought that new Xbus? receiver. That bulky telemetry module got old fast.
IMO, these orange Rx blows spektrums out of the water. I have 5 now and no failures yet. I de-case and de-pin too, but I also clear heat shrink them and cut out for the connectors. Then you can stick them almost anywhere.
May 17, 2016, 12:39 PM
Thread OP

Orange R620X V2 Telemetry Receiver // Why I love it! (combined with my DX8)

Glad you like it as much as I do!
Would like to see pics of your heatshrinked one, did you remove the SpekSatPorts as well?
May 21, 2016, 08:07 PM
I'd rather be flying
Made a little mod to mine to allow easy binding. I had a ton of these tact switches around from a previous project. Works great! You only have to hold it down when you first plug in, then you can immediately let go and it stays in bind mode . I'm also working on breaking out he non-inverted S.bus for those Naze32 rv5 we all still have laying around.
May 21, 2016, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
Made a little mod to mine to allow easy binding. I had a ton of these tact switches around from a previous project. Works great! You only have to hold it down when you first plug in, then you can immediately let go and it stays in bind mode . I'm also working on breaking out he non-inverted S.bus for those Naze32 rv5 we all still have laying around.
sounds great, keep in mind when you let lose of the button it will save the "right now" values for FS and does not "hold last received" anymore

Thank you for sharing!
May 21, 2016, 08:30 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
sounds great, keep in mind when you let lose of the button it will save the "right now" values for FS and does not "hold last received" anymore

Thank you for sharing!
Well if your TX isn't on yet, right now values will be no signal, right? Which is what you want for FC failsafe.
May 21, 2016, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
Well if your TX isn't on yet, right now values will be no signal, right? Which is what you want for FC failsafe.
not sure depends on what the "right now" values were during build (when you removed the plug / stopped pressing the button)... :roll eyes:

do you have a FC laying around with which you could check if it actually saves all channels
Jun 07, 2016, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
New project:

BlueJayF4 FC sandwich, cool thing about it is, that it has it's own 5v step-down so I can wire the voltage sensor onto the lipo input and power it from the FC with 5v

It's running RaceFlight RC12 8/8/32khz (will soon test 32/32/32khz)
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Jun 08, 2016 at 09:16 AM.
Aug 21, 2016, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Did some current draw readings with my new fancy Uni-T UT61E

CurrentDraw: Orange R720Xv2 // R620Xv2 (1 min 0 sec)

Edit:
some weight measurements with a+/- 1g scale, the new one (500g - 0.01g) is on it's way, so will upload new pics then

Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Aug 27, 2016 at 05:49 AM.
Apr 14, 2017, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Bad news... my new shiny EU DX9 Black Editon does not bind with Telemetry... looks like I now have more than a few SBus receivers without TLM...
Apr 14, 2017, 05:05 PM
The DSMX Oranges were crap from the beginning.
Apr 14, 2017, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
The DSMX Oranges were crap from the beginning.
That's your opinion, not mine

Believe me or not... but this blew me away and made me a believer...
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....that-possible-!
(video is missing on the fpvlab post... not sure why... TLDR: no active elements left xD)
BlackOut Super Mini H // FPVMaidenDay // EMAX MT2204 2300kv // KISS18A // 2.2Ah 4s 45-90C nano-tech (2 min 50 sec)

...had a lot of luck with the DSMX sats from HK that came with true diversity and long replaceable antennas as well... and after that, the R620X V2... never had problems, neither range nor reliability wise...

Disclaimer: "right from the beginning"... I can't speak for that... when I moved from 35mhz to 2.4ghz I had missed out on a lot of stuff (few only a few times a year so didn't make the jump for years)... so when I made the move the "beginning" of orange DSMX stuff was "long over"
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Apr 14, 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply