May 14, 2016, 12:49 AM
Yes, need a PNP model. I have FrSky telemetry for all my bigger planes. Not going to pay for a receiver I don't need. The alternative is to buy the body, wings, tail feathers and hardware package and kit up our own.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2016, 09:42 AM
I won't care if it is AS3X or not. I have a 2.6 plane with a stabilizer that I fly when windy. Thermals just fine and wings stay nice and level on landing. When I fly on calm days it thermals exceedingly well. Don't knock a stabilizer on a glider if you haven't flown one.
May 14, 2016, 10:13 AM
Just having fun
Still nothing on the plane at horizonhobby.com.

My friend, who is a Joe Nall, said that there are 2 of these planes there. My friend said that the plane is very sturdy and flies great.

Other information from my friend that he has seen or been told by Horizon Hobby.
  • The elevator is set up to where the whole horizontal stabilizer pivots, not just a small control surface at the rear of the elevator.
  • AS3X will be on the stock BNF plane. (I do not know if other versions will be available originally or in the future)
  • The main wing comes apart in 3 pieces. The center flat piece is 1 and the wing tips beginning at the first dihedral bend are the other 2.
  • Recommended battery is the same as the current Radian - a 3S 1300mAh LiPo.
  • My friend has been given 2 prices. Originally he was told the price will be $269 but yesterday he was told that the price would be $229.
  • He was told that these would be available in July. Info should be on horizonhobby.com soon. My friend is surprised that the info is not available there yet.
That is about all that I have from my friend. Do know that none of the above is confirmed so things may be different.

Freddy
May 14, 2016, 10:41 AM
Freddy- tell your friend to steal one for me !!!!
May 14, 2016, 10:48 AM
Just having fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace
Freddy- tell your friend to steal one for me !!!!
LOL!! He tried really hard to get them to sell him one there at Nall but they would not do it.

Freddy
May 14, 2016, 11:48 AM
Freddy-
Do you know if the wings have ailerons or are they without?
May 14, 2016, 11:55 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I want one of these.... I need to get the waiting list, if there is one.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
May 14, 2016, 11:56 AM
Never mind I enlarged the picture and took a look.
I want one really bad!
May 14, 2016, 11:58 AM
Just having fun
Quote:
Freddy-
Do you know if the wings have ailerons or are they without?
My buddy only mentioned that it had spoilers that he saw were used to slow the plane down for landing. I did not ask ask about ailerons nor did I ask if the spoilers moved both up and down. Normally when I have heard the word spoilers it referred to flaps on the wings that rotate up.

I have a question. What are the advantages or disadvantages of elevators that rotate the full horizontal stabilizer? I have never flown a plane with this type of setup.

Freddy
May 14, 2016, 12:02 PM
Just having fun
Quote:
Never mind I enlarged the picture and took a look.
I want one really bad!
So, what did you see? I can't tell from the picture even after enlarging it.

Freddy
May 14, 2016, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson
So, what did you see? I can't tell from the picture even after enlarging it.

Freddy
No ailerons. The wings have spoilers. They are embedded in the wings and raise to spoil lift for landings. I can see where AS3X can help stabilize the wings for landings. Unless the gain is up really high having AS3X won't interfere with indicating lift. You just have to watch the plane. The wings will still tilt and the plane will still rise.
May 14, 2016, 12:21 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
I have a question. What are the advantages or disadvantages of elevators that rotate the full horizontal stabilizer? I have never flown a plane with this type of setup.
Freddy,

Many sailplane fliers prefer full flying stabs. It means you can adjust the incidence with the radio trim. And it gives you more elevator authority for some parts of the flight envelope when you want a lot of elevator authority.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
May 14, 2016, 12:27 PM
Quote:
LOL!! He tried really hard to get them to sell him one there at Nall but they would not do it.

Freddy
I'm going to send cousin Vinnie to Horizon to break some kneecaps. I want one now!!!
May 15, 2016, 02:53 AM
Keep Looking Up
If the price is reasonable, having it only be "BnF" is no problem. I just hate paying for stuff I don't need. It price is $229? That's not that bad. It seems like that is pretty low for the "retail price". Maybe that will be a sale price or something. I guess it only has to be a 4 chan Rx so won't be as expensive as 6 chan Rx (you wouldn't think).
May 15, 2016, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately their BnF rx+stabilizer will be too light to serve as the paper weight that it will be for most >2M glider pilots...

+1 for PnP.

Kelly

Quick Reply