May 10, 2016, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone having problems with rcfoam depron lately?

I do small runs of RC rocket plane kits, I've been using rcfoam depron for a long time and found it extremely consistent. The last batch I got however had some ends that went down as far as 4.5mm in thickness. I used their contact form and they sent me an entire replacement box of 20 sheets, but this foam was warped in multiple dimensions and heat doesn't seem to fix it. Think of it as all four corners curved upward. It may be ok for small pieces but not for large pieces. I again contacted them and they sent me another box, half seemed ok the other half had corners curved up again. The curved depron sheets also seemed to have a different sort of finish on the backside, very smooth, and the foam seemed softer/less stiff. I've tried mpf and it won't work for my designs as is, would take redesign to make them stiff enough. These are typically profile type designs with minimal carbon to keep costs down. One of my customers also had this same issue when he ordered recently. I remember my lhs getting a batch in that was like this a year ago, but then I ordered some directly and it was normal. Anyone else see this problem? is it just the beginning or end of a batch, or has their qc gone down hill?

Frank
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2016, 02:50 AM
Suspended Account
I commented a few times about the change in Depron last year..

I noticed one side had kinda plasticey shiney finish on one side and a very matt finish on the other. Much different to the previous matt and just off matt finsishes before.

Now you have to be very careful cutting out parts as if they are not all super shiney, or super matt, it stands out a mile away!

Even worse i found it is slightly heavier, this plasticy coat i believe is a shift in the way it is produced and maybe extra heat involved is giving a lot more badly curved sheets and thinning of edges.

At the end of the day, Depron is for industrial uses and not for Foam Bashers. Just high time somebody made Foam specifically for Foam bashing, very flat boards, same finish both sides, constant thickness... Not too much to ask in 2016 is it?
May 11, 2016, 08:41 AM
treefinder
Not too much to ask, but the market just isn't big enough for dedicated processing I guess. One can't really take advantage of the worldwide aspect in the same way that Hobby King and others do with smaller gear because of the costs of shipping "mostly air" around the world. If not for that one of the processors could dedicate a line or process time to produce premium stock and ship worldwide. In the absence of that we get tweaks to current building material and processes. Adams tweak their Dow formulation, and run a separate schedule for Model Plane Foam, to get a product closer to what modelers want than fanfold, but still don't produce 100% perfect stock 100% of the time.
May 11, 2016, 09:07 AM
I received a case of 6mm , it was badly bowed and the corners were bad. Called and they gave me another shipping order, being sent out today..I have used them , we he was selling foam out of his garage ..this is the first time I got bad foam. I did notice it's different than I have been getting from them
May 11, 2016, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermott
At the end of the day, Depron is for industrial uses and not for Foam Bashers. Just high time somebody made Foam specifically for Foam bashing, very flat boards, same finish both sides, constant thickness... Not too much to ask in 2016 is it?
This exists in the form of Aero Depron which is readily available here. I've bought dozens of sheets and it's proven pretty much perfect save for occasional minor damage in shipping. It works out to be pretty cheap in bulk as well. Don't know what the international availability is like though.
May 11, 2016, 04:00 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
I do small runs of RC rocket plane kits, I've been using rcfoam depron for a long time and found it extremely consistent. The last batch I got however had some ends that went down as far as 4.5mm in thickness. I used their contact form and they sent me an entire replacement box of 20 sheets, but this foam was warped in multiple dimensions and heat doesn't seem to fix it. Think of it as all four corners curved upward. It may be ok for small pieces but not for large pieces. I again contacted them and they sent me another box, half seemed ok the other half had corners curved up again. The curved depron sheets also seemed to have a different sort of finish on the backside, very smooth, and the foam seemed softer/less stiff. I've tried mpf and it won't work for my designs as is, would take redesign to make them stiff enough. These are typically profile type designs with minimal carbon to keep costs down. One of my customers also had this same issue when he ordered recently. I remember my lhs getting a batch in that was like this a year ago, but then I ordered some directly and it was normal. Anyone else see this problem? is it just the beginning or end of a batch, or has their qc gone down hill?

Frank
The last 4 cases I ordered from them have been like this. Trying to get things straight with them now.
May 11, 2016, 04:22 PM
The Junk Man
I just received my first, and it will be the only order I ever make, from them a few days ago.

They didn't even bother to send the sizes I ordered.

I am not going to fool around taking the issue up with them, not worth the time or bother since there are SO many other alternatives to depron around now... no need to pay their exaggerated prices for incorrect fulfilling

Tom
May 11, 2016, 09:00 PM
Retired CAD guy
Ditto

They Did reship my entire order which I thought was over the top.
Plus I'd ordered some more Black sheets of depron as well.

Sigh ...

Many of the replacement sheets had this "harder" surface , curved warping and not quite what I have been
used to receiving for the last 10 years.

So since I have a long term relationship with them and since they are NOT the mfgr
but merely they USA distributer,

When I get to the point of needing more I WILL make another order with them.

However, If things are NOT corrected at that time,
It'll be time for a switch to alternatives.
Last edited by birdofplay; May 17, 2016 at 09:32 AM.
May 12, 2016, 02:16 AM
Tried 'Search'???
I recently popped into my LHS for a couple of sheets of 3 mm which he had in stock. Got the stuff home and noticed the new quality. Warped, different finishes (one side of mine has the optical illusion of being rippled), feels softer and less rigid making it easier to bend (that could be an advantage).

I mentioned it to him thinking that he had found some cheap DIY stuff and was passing it off as Depron. He even dug out the delivery paper work to show that he had received Depron from Graupner so I figure that the days of nice light, flat, rigid Foamies are over.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
May 12, 2016, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Ugh..maybe I need to try the aero...
May 12, 2016, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
Does anyone actually have a phone number contact for them(rcfoam) so I could talk to a person?
May 17, 2016, 07:13 AM
Retired CAD guy
OK , This thread has come to a SCREECHING Halt !

Whats Up ? Any news ? Any contact or explanations ?

With the report from Germany and several reports from the USA
it does appear that there has been a world wide change in this product.
Maybe Sieltec hired TOO MANY of the recent European Immigrants and is having
problems with quality control or just Process control !

Although if depron is mostly sold as a floor insulation material
and is therefore never seen again
we are probably NEVER going to get our "minority" concerns addressed.

If we all switched over to MPF, maybe, JUST MAYBE, that extra quantity
would get us some notice at Adams and maybe even a 3mm offering. ( dreaming of course )

That would just about eliminate all the depron product usage.
9mm being a very small percentage of modelers usage.

It may be time to go total USA made here guys !
May 17, 2016, 07:34 AM
treefinder
Be still my heart!
May 17, 2016, 08:12 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
As much as I would like to support MPF it just doesn't have the stiffness of depron that my clients need. If Depron goes away I know of at least three small bushiness' that would fold or have to change there products.

We are waiting for our replacements to be delivered now.
May 17, 2016, 09:28 AM
Retired CAD guy
Hey Jim, hows the temps in AZ ?

My replacements were better but not the "OLD" stuff.
It was warpped and harder and the finish was seriously mismatched from front to back .

IF
Depron fails to continue it's previous High standards and quality
THEN
I will bet the MPF will start looking a bit stiffer and more viable ;>)

It already is better for "Bendy-Bits" and it's cheaper.

Like I said if all the depron sales were to be switched to MPF
I would expect that Adams, the mfgr, would start listening to springer !
AND also as I said HOPEFULLY they could do 3mm as well.

TO finish off the sniping at differences...
I do not like Aero !
It is a easily dented and damaged as the Black/Grey ,
and develops handling and HANGER RASH very quickly.
It may be lighter but THAT is it's problem too.

Remember the old Cellfoam 88 ?
Now that stuff was brittle and broke very easily, and ahem, just like HK foam does now :-(
Even RCFoam dumped the stuff at serious discount.
I go some but ended up using it for packing !
Never models !

I just figure that WE might be able to "control" MPF/Adams more easily than an EU mfgr.
We know where they are and could drive there this afternoon.
Last edited by birdofplay; May 17, 2016 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply