May 10, 2016, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bad RSSI numbers at close range - Taranis/X4R-sb

EDIT:
During Range Test mode, i'm getting a reading of 40 at 15 feet, 30 at 35 feet, and loose signal at 45 feet.
This is with the whole quad powered on (not armed), and transmitting to goggles.
I will get back to you guys after i try the following things:
1. Same test but with vTX unplugged (already did this with bad results, but i forget the numbers so i'll do it again)
2. re-binding
3. checking TX antenna on circuit board
4. different reciever
Setup: (also see pic below)

I have a Qav 210 with a X4R-sb/Taranis plus setup.
I have the RX mounted on the rear of the bottom plate, and the VTX right above it on the rear of the top plate.
I have the antennas mounted at almost 90* ziptied against the standoff's, inside plastic antenna tubes.
I have replacement antennas on the RX.
The RX is sitting on two layers of double stick tape.

Problem:

I cannot get out more than 100/200 feet no matter where I'm standing, or what location I am at.
Video signal is fine.
I also have tried moving the TX antenna parallel to the quad antennas in every location.
I've had this issue since I built the quad, but now I'm getting better and now it's an issue that id like to address.

Question:

Is there a general "rule of thumb" list of things to check to fix this?
I'm not confident I have faulty products yet, I'm thinking it could be my setup.. Curious to see what everyone thinks !
Also sorry for the dirtyness, the last run it fell out of the sky on a baseball infield :-/
Last edited by grega0121; May 10, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2016, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
I seem to be losing signal at 40 feet in Range Check Mode no matter what i do with unplugging/moving things etc..

Could i have a bad RX?
Next is taking apart the taranis to make sure the antenna looks good on the board.
May 11, 2016, 03:10 PM
The first thing I do when I get a new receiver is to test it free standing with a dedicated 4.8v battery and a servo. I have a area that is marked off as a benchmark of 275' that I use in range check mode. I think I could go further, but the street turns and I lose LOS. To get 275' that is holding the transmitter at the best angle and having the receiver about 5' off the ground.

At that point I know I have a good receiver and then can start installing it in a aircraft and then test with my benchmark.

Something you might consider.

Mike
May 13, 2016, 02:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
The first thing I do when I get a new receiver is to test it free standing with a dedicated 4.8v battery and a servo. I have a area that is marked off as a benchmark of 275' that I use in range check mode. I think I could go further, but the street turns and I lose LOS. To get 275' that is holding the transmitter at the best angle and having the receiver about 5' off the ground.

At that point I know I have a good receiver and then can start installing it in a aircraft and then test with my benchmark.

Something you might consider.

Mike
Made an XT-60 to servo connector adaptor today, powered up the receiver in the middle of a baseball field by itself (I know, so lonely)
Got about 30 feet away and I lost signal in Range Check mode.
I repeated this multiple times in different locations.

I have another X4R on the way..

In the mean time, should i open the Taranis?
May 18, 2016, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Ended up being a bad X4r !
Thanks again for the help everyone
May 23, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega0121
Ended up being a bad X4r !
Thanks again for the help everyone
Just so you know your not alone I just toasted my second X4R. My first one was last year and I screwed with it for days before giving up on it and ordering another one. Bam, that fixed it. Thing is it worked great for months. Now this X4R just did the same thing. Don't know what is going out but there is almost no range.

Was thinking about trying the FrSky XSR next. It's supposed to be a smaller version. Anyone had experience with it?
Jun 13, 2016, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drone
Just so you know your not alone I just toasted my second X4R. My first one was last year and I screwed with it for days before giving up on it and ordering another one. Bam, that fixed it. Thing is it worked great for months. Now this X4R just did the same thing. Don't know what is going out but there is almost no range.

Was thinking about trying the FrSky XSR next. It's supposed to be a smaller version. Anyone had experience with it?
Just saw this post, good to hear i'm not alone!
At $25, if i'm having trouble in the future i will just replace it instead of spending hours of my time diagnosing why.

I was also looking into the XSR. I didnt even know about it until i believe Mr Steele or FinalGlideAUS recently switched to it.
Jun 13, 2016, 04:31 PM
Gee and I was gonna ask if anyone is having range issues with their xsr? I just installed oen and it seems like my range is considerably less then my X4Rs.
Jun 14, 2016, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahosrfr
Gee and I was gonna ask if anyone is having range issues with their xsr? I just installed oen and it seems like my range is considerably less then my X4Rs.
If your having range issues, i would make sure its the RX, and if so, it's probably bad

Quick Reply