Feb 01, 2002, 12:37 PM
Thread OP

What's a nice easy FOAMY jet project for me??

I've mastered the TigerMoth and have a lot of stick time with the Sporty (direct drive 400...FASST)

Now I'm looking for a new project. I really want a jet plane. There's everything from Wattage F-22 and Mirage 2000 to Kyosho EDF stuff. What would be most fun for intermediate builder/flyer?

I want something that is a bit fast and fun to fly (aerobatic at least a little) but that is not impossible to land. (My 13.5 oz. Sporty would fall into that category). I like landing gears if possible, because that adds a lot to the fun, but I can live without it if necessary!

I Always look to you guys for the info before I jump into a new project! Thanks in advance for all the info.
Last edited by try2fly; Feb 01, 2002 at 12:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2002, 02:18 PM
Purple power
i would go with the f22, given your experience. it pretty much flys like a jet. with the pusher configuration it will give you flight time on a plane that doesn't have propwash going across the flight surfaces.
the mirage is not as stable and flys abit faster than the f22.......gregg
Feb 01, 2002, 03:15 PM
steve neill
steve neill
I second the motion. Love mine. I use it as a practice jet when not flying EDF. Easy to land, very stable, and forget about the landing gear. It's easy to handlaunch, just needs a standing ( not running ) throw and she's off.
Steve
Feb 01, 2002, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
I appreciate the input.

What is the build like for the f22, fairly simple. How much balsa/ply comes in the kit?

What about the EDF's like kyosho f16 and the other 1950'a model.

Also, I saw a video someone posted here about an indoor flight of a jet that looked exactly like a Sabre. It was very small and looked like an EDF. Anyone know what that was?
Feb 01, 2002, 08:09 PM
Purple power
Quote:
Originally posted by try2fly
I appreciate the input.

What is the build like for the f22, fairly simple. How much balsa/ply comes in the kit?

not much wood, it's mostly foam.

Also, I saw a video someone posted here about an indoor flight of a jet that looked exactly like a Sabre. It was very small and looked like an EDF. Anyone know what that was?
those are not available yet. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&pagenumber=1
Feb 01, 2002, 08:58 PM

Mirage is great!

well, I think I should speak out for all those Mirage flyers out there and say, I love my Mirage! it flys beautifully......and yes it is fast so you need to be a fairly good pilot(intermidiate) to keep it in close, and low, and have maximum fun. As for it being unstable, mine isn't, but I followed the tips in the "making the mirage fly even better section" in model airplane news, by extending the elevons. And it just flys great!

Davey
Feb 25, 2002, 09:53 PM
RC-Nut-Job!

Can't wait

I'll take two of each EDF you kit!

You just gotta have 2...

Always keep a backup it actually cheaper in the long run.

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to there release date....

Lv2Fly James
Feb 25, 2002, 10:12 PM
The smaller fan units available now seem like a great way to get started. I modified a Great Planes Free flight sonic blast kit to be r/c. Flies quite well. 8 cells and a DMC20 motor Rudder/Elevator will loop and do a sloppy droppy roll I'm building some more little jets around the gws edf50 as well. You might look into these. Steve Neil has some great projects coming out as well. Most of these little guys will fly slower than a higher weight/power jet though if that is a concern.

Quick Reply