Jul 22, 2019, 01:32 PM
The battery is 2S and that is what you charge at. You should be using a charger that uses the Deanís connector as well as the balance plug so it charges evenly. Lipo batteries are nothing to experiment with. You donít want a fire.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
The battery is 2S and that is what you charge at. You should be using a charger that uses the Deanís connector as well as the balance plug so it charges evenly. Lipo batteries are nothing to experiment with. You donít want a fire.
Jupp, agree. Charged at 3c (balance charged 2s @ 4.5A), not as a 3 cell. Normally I charge lipos at 3c, if not 5c.

My thought was just to write it as a warning, since the included battery got really hot after a few min, which none of my other batteries has ever done at 3c charge. Not sure what kind of cells these are, thats why i was extra carefull while testing 2s 4.5A lipo charge.

(I use xt60 on most of my other equipment, thats the only reason I changed the default deans)
Jul 22, 2019, 03:23 PM
Does the newer version come with a lipo battery? The original came with a 2S Li-on (twin 18650s) and as such normally charge at a low C rate and to no more than 4.2v per cell
Jul 22, 2019, 05:16 PM
I used to think that Dean's connectors were the way to go, but the fit varies considerably. I have really struggled at time to get the things apart! Maybe the XT60's are a better choice.
I was in a hurry to answer the last post and didn't catch all that you wrote adequately. In the mod thread, I pointed out that the replacement drive shaft you refer to is junk. I recommend this one, but Banggood is out and that leaves AliExpress:

drive shaft $9.99USD https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wlto...ddresstype=600

If you decide to order this, realize that AliExpress is a supplier that works with vendors who buy in bulk. You have to deal with the vendor if there are problems. You need to watch to see that your order is filled within the time frame specified or AliExpress will cancel the order! Most Europeans seem to have good luck with them. I have mixed feelings due to mixed results.
Jul 23, 2019, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
Does the newer version come with a lipo battery? The original came with a 2S Li-on (twin 18650s) and as such normally charge at a low C rate and to no more than 4.2v per cell
It came with the battery you describe. Dont think the battery had any info printed on it, except mah, and i kind of remembered that I've read some where that li-io could be charged as lipo. Now I've learned to keep low C rate charge on li-on's Thanks.
Jul 23, 2019, 01:51 AM
I only knew that because I too had a warm battery and someone on RCG told me why.
Jul 23, 2019, 02:07 AM
Reap the wild wind
I always charge my lipos at 1c so that would mean 2.2 amps for a 2200mAh pack. I have some lipos that claim to be able to take higher charge rates but I've read that this can shorten their life. I have a quad and single charger so it's not as if I need to fast charge to speed up time taken to deal with a morning of RC flying and the packs that uses.
Apart from fitting different shocks, a FY-03 rear axle (metal gears), modding the rear cage to loose the spare and changing the wheels & tyres my 12428 is stock. I'm not about to change anything else unless it breaks. Are the upgraded OEM front and rear diffs a drop in replacement for the old housings? What I'd really like is to dispense with the diffs altogether and have a diff locker instead as this is more use to me for the speeds I go at
It's a fun car but just isn't get much use now when I have four 1/10th scale crawlers and a 1/10 rock racer to choose from. It's certainly nice to get over 3 hours run time on a 5000mAh 2s.
Andy
Jul 23, 2019, 02:48 AM
But to run difflock on the otherwise unmodded 12428 risks damage to other parts of the somewhat flimsy drivetrain (IMHO & IME)
I restrict mine with a heavy grease which is reasonably effective but it will never be a true crawler or anything but a light trailer without serious mods. And by the time you've done them you might as well have bought a cheap crawler.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still being amazed by what the 12428 is actually capable of but when the going gets tough it has limitations.
Finding them has been great fun though
Jul 23, 2019, 03:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
".....somewhat flimsy drivetrain.." might also apply to the 10428 as I sheared one side of the front drive cup off when running the front locked with BluTac. What grade of grease do you find is effective to give a limited slip?
Jul 23, 2019, 05:01 AM
Anything with a NLGI Grade 3 or 4 rating
Jul 23, 2019, 05:46 PM

Drive Shaft

Since I am no big fan of AliExpress, when it was time to buy another bullet proof drive shaft, I thought I would order one from Banggood. As I mentioned, the one from Banggood is on back order. One option they give you is to get a refund, since you never know when or if it will be coming back into stock. I jumped through the hoops required and hit the refund button and got a Chenglish message that made no sense to me. Since I paid for it through PayPal, I asked them for some assistance. I am supposed to get a response from Banggood within 48 hours.
Aug 03, 2019, 03:26 PM
Find a hobby and enjoy it.
My new wltoys 10428 B
WLToys 10428-B MINI POLARIS Clone - Unboxing (5 min 38 sec)
Aug 03, 2019, 07:58 PM
It has a thread of its own. Why is this here?
Aug 03, 2019, 11:12 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Probably begging for attention. Poor and miserable soul.
Aug 04, 2019, 06:05 AM
His videos can be pretty good, but without voice and explanation, it seems lacking.

Quick Reply