New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2002, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by RonJ

HELP---Want to re-inforce wing for geared Endo

I have a Dymond Crazee that I hope to put a 3:1 gearbox, an Endoplasma motor and prop for a 40 amp draw. P-calc tells me this combo on 8 cells will give me 48.8 oz of in-flight-thrust and a 45 mph prop pitch speed. Should turn my 49oz Crazee into a pink streak, but I have a feeling the Crazee wing was not designed for this much stress.
The wingspan is 64 inches, two piece with aluminum joiners. I plan to make it a one piece wing glueing the joiners in and adding some more re-inforcement. I do have a 32inch 3/16 CF rod that I can install by slotting the ribs just behind the "D" tube. Or, I also have some CF tape that I can install by stripping away some covering and CA'ing to the bottom sheeting in the spar area. This would be much easier.

Would welcome any advices.

MODEL AVIATION: Helping to keep old people out of nursing homes for over 60 years.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2002, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by Balin
Ron J

Bill Glover has a Virage that is a European version of the Crazee. He has an Endo in it and a gearbox close to 3:1. He has a lot to say about it if you can find it. Search for "Bill Glover" and Virage.

I've got a Crazee but I haven't flown it yet. I glued the wing together and put some fiberglass on the root top and bottom. Bought some carbon fiber but haven't used it. Plan on running Endo, 3:1. Hope to fly it soon.

What prop are you using?

Balin
Old Feb 02, 2002, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by RonJ
Balin

P-calc indicates a 10.5 x 5 folder will get me the 38.8 amps and 48.9 oz of in flight thrust. I plugged in several other prop combinations and this one is a clear winner. Have not actually tested the P-calc figures in flight but they sure look good on paper.

RonJ