VESNA 2meter (78,7") wingspan RES Sailplane - RC Groups
May 09, 2016, 12:51 PM
Build Log

VESNA 2meter (78,7") wingspan RES Sailplane

NOTE (17. nov. 2016) VESNA Sailplane now available as Short KIT (all plywood parts, control horns and CD instructions)!

A month and a half I start thinking of a new sailplane, that will not be "just another glider", but it should look nice in spirit of "Golden era of gliding".

I give her name VESNA after Slavic Goddess of Spring.

So, I start with a hand drawn sketch, then CAD drawings and also for the first time I went to 3D model design and extract then parts from it.

Two days ago, I maidened Vesna. She was a bit nose heavy, so yesterday I already remove some nose ballast and test it in the flat field. It was amazing change! Now I am waiting a good day to went on the hill again and fly her.

Till then, I can show only videos from her first flights (nose heavy), one from ground camera and another from on board camera.

Vesna, RES Glider test flights (4 min 59 sec)

VESNA onboard camera test flights (3 min 29 sec)

And some teasing photos:
Last edited by ultralajt; Nov 17, 2016 at 02:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2016, 12:52 PM
Now I will try to show, how she is made.

Please be patient, I am going to make many posts with many photos!

Regards!
Mitja
May 09, 2016, 02:48 PM
That's a neat design.

Drawings?

-Dave
May 09, 2016, 10:06 PM
Rough Landing
The Vesna is one beautiful glider! I love the shape of the fuselage and look forward to following this thread.
May 10, 2016, 12:20 AM
skumgummi dave
ultralajt:

That sir is a beautiful designed glider. Bravo!

Dave-
May 10, 2016, 12:27 AM
Looks fine flying and different.
May 10, 2016, 03:05 AM
Watching,
Ross
May 10, 2016, 11:26 AM
Loved the musical accompaniment with the vid too.

The wing design looks straight forward with a pretty good cord to it. I look forward to following this thread and build plans.....
May 10, 2016, 12:10 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Fuse and wing shapes are sort of nostalgic looking, but modern looking at the same time. Which means I like it. I'm gonna be watching the thread for the build documentation.

EJ
May 11, 2016, 10:13 AM
So many projects...
Subscribed!

soarguy
May 12, 2016, 06:52 AM
Sometime plane and heli flyer.
Damn it Mitja....this is going to be another one to add to the list to build I love the swept up wings and the curves...looks up to your usual exceedingly high standard
May 12, 2016, 02:23 PM
Mitja,

this new model is really nice looking.
I subscribed to this thread and I am looking forward to see what will come next.
And this new model of yours is on my watch (and want to have) list...

Do you plan to publish this as a plan (p.e. as a download as your famous Hornet depron slope soarer), as a CNC short kit and/or an ARF?

Kind regards,
Thorsten
May 13, 2016, 07:31 AM

Rudder

Okay, I see that you like this Sailplane, so lets start building this glider!

We start with an easiest of the parts, the Rudder!

It is advisable to start each sub-assembly of the glider by putting parts together without gluing (dry test fit) in order to learn assembly procedure and to assure all parts fit together nicely,a s some corners or edges should be "sharpened" by a tiny file.

Dry fit test:

End of the ribs are supported by "legs" that help making straight trailing edge:

Leading edge spar is laminated from two layers of plywood:

Closer look. It is advisable to wipe away all glue that is squeezed out from the joint:

Gluing thick balsa to the bottom edge of the rudder:

Shaving away some balsa and sanding to curved shape:

Then we remove (cut and sand to shape) all "legs" on the ribs, as we dont need them anymore. Next we cut balsa strips and glue them both sides of the trailing edge. Then sand to triangular shape. This balsa serves to make a surface for covering film to glue on.

Cutting balsa strip. We use plywood TE as a template:

We must cut off some tips of the ribs:

Many little helpers. Use a surplus balsa doubler in order not to get "teeth marks" from "little helpers!

Glued and sanded !
Last edited by ultralajt; May 13, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
May 13, 2016, 07:41 AM
Subscribed!
May 13, 2016, 07:52 AM

Vertical fin

Vertical fin is assembled by basic structure made from poplar plywood, covered with 1mm thick balsa sheeting and 6mm thick balsa leading edge. The tip curve and bottom "peg" are 1mm plywood.

Leading edge shaped roughly with a modelling plane:

And leading edge finished by sanding it to "semi-elliptic" shape:

ARC: