Sig Spacewalker w/ Pegasus OS FF-240 - RC Groups
May 09, 2016, 11:08 AM
Discussion

Sig Spacewalker w/ Pegasus OS FF-240

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help from you experts out there. In a craigslist find, I purchased this spacewalker and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on rehabilitating this plane. It's dirty, and some of the fabric reinforcement strips are separated from the from the plane. I want to know if there's a way to glue/repair this. I plan on repainting the cowl and replacing the pilot. I haven't dug into the mechanics of this plane yet but the engine turns freely and smoothly. I believe this plane is fabric coated and I'm concerned about cleaning it with anything too harsh since it has such an amazing finish. Any thoughts or if anyone is willing to get on the phone with me, that'd be amazing. Thanks for your help. Joshua
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2016, 03:44 PM
tough one here to give solid advice with out being hands on.

I assume it is an older build. could be couple different cloth coverings that were painted. Back few years, supershrink coverite was pretty popular for fabric covering and paint. the pinked tape appears to be hand cut with pinking shears. you would have to study the tapes to see if uniform in design. The wing pic backs the edges look non-uniform or hand cut.

you would almost have to use CA IMO to get the edges to stick back down. would have to be real careful.

you could clear coat once edges glued down if needed a smooth uniform finish.

paint could a world of options. dope, epoxies, Perfect paints, Nelsons, rattle can, hard to say.

cant go wrong with soap and water to clean or simple green type mix. windex with ammonia type cleaner?

any thing harder would require test sampling to make sure it does not react with paint.

here's where the local "builder" comes in handy. not for the modern flyer to assess. (please take no offense modern ARFers. check in with local club for resources who may be able to readily identify the fabric and paint. That will give you better idea what you are up against.

good luck. great flying plane and will be sweet with that flat 4.
Apr 25, 2017, 09:28 PM
I think I go fly

gas line antifreze

I have had good luck with gas line anti freeze It does not seem as strong as straight alcohol, It does react with the paint a little but both times I have been very pleased with the results. It smooths out and evens the finish . It does remove some of the paint however....did not seem to matter in my case.

Good luck with your flying!

I also saw the craigslist add for this! Great find.