This thread is privately moderated by schumixmd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2016, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

SkyEye by E-do Model. The best FPV Plane. Build log and review in progress. The Tail.

Well, the tail was the first part that I have assembled after receiving the plane. As I said – there were no manual in the box, but it also has one interesting feature which makes it a little bit – different.

The plane has a feature called vertical landing. That means the horizontal stabilizer has the ability to deflect upwards. I am still not confident that this would work. From videos on the internet, I would say it is a fast controlled crash rather than landing .
Thanks to designers – they made it possible to lock it in place with two bolts.

After understanding where all the pieces have to be installed/glued the assembling is straight forward....

First of all, I have glued the fiberglass reinforcement on the horizontal stabilizer.

Then I have glued the corresponding fiberglass reinforcement on the fixed part of the tail. This part also acts like a stopper, so that the stabilizer does not move down – only up.

A carbon rod will be inserted thru the moving part (horizontal stabilizer) and the fixed part. It will make the axis/shaft for the stabilized to move on.

Also if one wants to disassemble the tail for easier transportation – the spar could be removed by pushing it out with a screwdriver, or anything round of that size.

The channel bellow the rudder will accommodate a 12g servo for the stabilizer. My personal opinion is that something less than 50g here will not work. The surface of the horizontal stab is too big for a 12g servo.

The channel on the stabilizer will accommodate a 9g servo for the elevator.

The servo for the rudder has a special place on the vertical stabilizer. Here I think, they misplaced by a few millimeters, either the servo or the horn.

The full assembled tail has to be glued on the tail boom. This is what I dislike. If they made such strong aluminum tail boom holder, they could something similar on the tail side too.

The horizontal stab can move as much as this, so that it doesn’t intersect with the rudder.

Or it can be locked with two bolts, as I said earlier.

On the tail I have used only CA, even to glue it to the tail boom.

The servo cables are going into the fuselage thru the tail boom. Two servo extenders of at least 50cm are needed.

Inserting the tail boom into the fuselage, tightening the bolt on the tail boom holder and that’s all about the tail, and about building process.

Now I only have to install the electronics and we are ready for the maiden.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply