May 09, 2016, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Peck Polymers Convertible old kit 34" WS

I found this kit on eBay, after opening I found a Massive 15" balsa prop blank to be carved provided in the kit, this is well beyond the 1/3 of wing span I am used to going by.
As a side note the die cutting in this kit is cleaner than I have ever seen on balsa sheet before...Peck must have had very talented die makers.
Also the plan sheet is printed on semi-gloss heavy paper...very nearly cardstock. Quite an impressive kit over all. If you have built or seen this model fly, I would love to hear how it fly's or any tips on building -thanks!
Last edited by hunterdude; Nov 14, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2016, 06:43 AM
I have 2 of the peck kits and you're right, they're as nice a kit as I've ever seen. I'm not sure what I'm saving them for, but instead of building one of those, I purchased the Holman short kit and built it.

I finished it about a week ago and took it out for the first trim flights yesterday. The build ended up at 118 grams, but with the balance point showing to be at the trailing edge I had to add 7 grams of lead to the tail to make that happen. As long as she is aft of the cabin, and still had to add that much weight!

I loaded 20 feet of 3/16" rubber made up into 8 strands, but only wound that to 400 turns. Too much wind to do any real trimming yesterday, but there's definite potential there.

20160508 0819071 (0 min 35 sec)

Here's a couple of pics ...
May 09, 2016, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Great looking model and covering job cd_web, it looks like she Wants to Fly to!
I will have to look at the site you got the short kit from, looks like some nice models there.
Thank you for the tip on the tail weight, that big balsa prop is not hurting you for nose weight.
May 10, 2016, 10:37 AM
Kilmary Kid

Who did the dies for Peck Kits

I believe that the late Sal Taibi did the dies for the various die cut Peck Kits. At one time during Peck Polymers heyday, Sal's Superior Balsa would cut 100,000 one sixteenth inch square sticks at a time, and ship them to Peck. They went into the Peck peanut kits.
May 10, 2016, 11:52 AM
Pretty sure Mike is right on the die cutting. I also remember those prop blocks coming out of Sal's shop.

Here's a shot of Gus Sundberg's Dietrich ROW.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/446706...7625022165241/

Norm
Jun 03, 2016, 04:33 PM

Discussion Peck Polymers Convertible old kit 34" WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdude
I found this kit on eBay, after opening I found a Massive 15" balsa prop blank to be carved provided in the kit, this is well beyond the 1/3 of wing span I am used to going by.
As a side note the die cutting in this kit is cleaner than I have ever seen on balsa sheet before...Peck must have had very talented die makers.
Also the plan sheet is printed on semi-gloss heavy paper...very nearly cardstock. Quite an impressive kit over all. If you have built or seen this model fly, I would love to hear how it fly's or any tips on building -thanks!
I built that kit way back 1993. Got the kit from a hobby shop in Manila (Philippines). Built it as per plan. Carved the prop blank for 3 days to make it right. Flew very well. I did not build the floats that came with the kit as I don't have a place to ROW. When I left for Canada in 2002, I cannot bring the whole plane with me so I decided just to bring the propeller which in fact I still have it today I think the name of the designer of that model is Tad Dietrich and called it "Convertable" yup "a" instead of "i". I missed that plane :-(
Oct 17, 2020, 09:03 PM
Panzer88

Peck-Polymers “CONVERTABLE” 34” WS

I recently purchased titled model. During inspection of the kits contents it was noted there were NO Instructions with photos as noted on the front box label. The remainder of the kit is EXCELLENT, noting that the included original owners invoice shows theat the model was purchased in 12/2991.

If I’m correct in assuming that there should be Instructions with photos, Please advise where I may be able to purchase them. If not, advise accordingly.

Thanks to all who respond.

Sincerely,

Carp
Oct 18, 2020, 09:17 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer88
I recently purchased titled model. During inspection of the kits contents it was noted there were NO Instructions with photos as noted on the front box label. The remainder of the kit is EXCELLENT, noting that the included original owners invoice shows theat the model was purchased in 12/2991.

If I’m correct in assuming that there should be Instructions with photos, Please advise where I may be able to purchase them. If not, advise accordingly.

Thanks to all who respond.

Sincerely,

Carp
https://freeflight.org/product/dietrich-convertible/

http://www.bhplans.com/RMPg3.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post11534137
Last edited by Mel Duval; Oct 18, 2020 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply