X-RES 2M sailplane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 08, 2016, 06:24 PM
My landing tape is too short.
Discussion

X-RES 2M sailplane

I have just finished building an X-RES sailplane from Zeller Modellbau. Its one of those 2M competition jobs from Austria. It's weighing in right at 400gm.
Went to the field to maiden it. Definitely not an ideal day - wind gusting from 0 to 15 mph every 10 to 20 seconds or so. Did more waiting around for the wind to die than flying. CG was set at 92mm. Hand tossing showed the CG was too far back and it was way too pitch sensitive. Made some adjustments and got a 300 ft flight not getting over 10 ft from the ground. This one will float like a garbage bag. The least updraft had it going up. Stalls were harsh as it lost what little altitude it had and some rough landings resulted. Eventually it broke the fuse side where the rear wing mounting was and that ended the day. An easy fix, though. Also needs all the rudder you can get.
I am making some weight adjustments and adding a provision for some ballast, as it will need some to fly in wind. I'll determine where the CG is when I get it flying the way I want. This is my first RES plane, so I will need more stick time to get use to how it flies, but I can see this has potential. It should be able to work light lift that my full molded plane can't. Once I get it better sorted, I'll try some hi-starts.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2016, 11:19 PM
Pictures?

Yours, Greg
May 10, 2016, 09:39 AM
Awesome. I'm building the fuse now and they do use the lightest balsa and minimal structure even around the wing. I'm going to beef that up. For balast I bought 1/16 sheet lead that I will cut into small rectangles. You can find that stuff on amazon. I was going to try and setup the blast like my dlgs but then I would have to add a guide tube. This seemed simpler.
May 11, 2016, 03:21 PM
Going to start sanding the fuse. Very easy build since it is so light, there are not many pieces I may have 2 hours into it and the tail surfaces. Probably spend just as much time sanding. Zeller includes a pretty detailed sanding procedure for the tail to create the correct shape, it's brilliant.
May 11, 2016, 04:46 PM
I'm glad to hear you're started on your X-RES. I didn't have any trouble putting mine together, but do watch for twisting in the fuse. Its so long and narrow, twists can easily sneak in.

I have been able to use two 1 oz lead fishing weights for ballast. It will increase the wingloading by 14%. They mount to the tow hook threads that stick up inside the fuse.

I'm still waiting for time and good weather to get more flying in. I have the CG at 82mm behind the leading edge. The instructions say 92 - 96 mm, but that was way too far aft for me.
May 11, 2016, 06:30 PM

my ballast system

Here's a couple pics of my ballast system. The lead fishing weights are delicately shaped with a big hammer until they become aeronautical ballast. The aluminum thumbscrew was turned on my lathe . The thumbscrew screws on the tow hook threads that extend up into the fuse. Fortunately, this placement doesn't change the CG.
May 18, 2016, 02:34 PM
What is the fuselage construction on the X-RES? Balsa? Ply? Both?

-Dave
May 18, 2016, 06:52 PM
Balsa doubled with thin plywood in the front half.
May 18, 2016, 07:17 PM
Again: Pictures?

Yours, Greg
May 19, 2016, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Balsa doubled with thin plywood in the front half.
So the section of fuselage, aft of the wing, is ply?

-Dave
May 19, 2016, 09:24 PM
I'll try and take pictures. The fuse sides are balsa nose to tail with thin plywood doubled from the nose to the back of the wing. From to the tail is just balsa with balsa longerons.
May 24, 2016, 07:59 AM
Any pictures ?
May 24, 2016, 09:35 AM
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...RES&name=x-res

Now available in the UK
May 24, 2016, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
Cool!
May 24, 2016, 12:13 PM
Sorry for no pictures yet, but when I go to the field, I am alone. Just handling a new plane and flying takes my complete attention.
I should be able to have someone take pictures this weekend at the Mid-south Sailplane contest, where I will be competing in the RES.