Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 15, 2001, 11:13 AM

How to avoid high-current interference?

Can anyone help me out with this?
I was wondering how i can shield my receiver, servo-cables, ... from picking up interference from motors, battery's and power-cables.
For example: i have this new Speed 600 glider.
They tell me to put my battery above my receiver, which lays next to my speed-controller.
Isn't this a little dangerous?
Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2001, 04:01 PM
Modern equipment is well made. I suggest you try it before deciding there should be a problem. It's worth putting the appropriate suppression capacitors on the motor but that's all *unless* you have some sort of problem.

Or as we used to say where I was brought up "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".

Steve
Jul 15, 2001, 04:27 PM
Hi Steve,

i've been flying speed 280 planes (parkflyers) for a year or 3 now.
Before i flew IC-planes and i've noticed i have more interference with the electric kind.
I figured if this small motor does this even while i fly close to me, what can i expect from a bigger motor when flying much further.
I'm using the capacitors you mentioned, but is that all i need to do?
It's just that i really wouldn't like to crash my new plane and then have to hear that i need "shielding".
I guess i'll do a "motor on" radio check and hope for the best.

Thanks,

Dirk.
Jul 15, 2001, 06:10 PM
Ive had about 14 models in my fleet.. I had one interference problem on the first model, long before I discovered the E Zone. I had my Jeti ESC velcro'd to my receiver. I moved it 2" away, and never had a problem from then on.
Just keep the switched power wires (the ESC and the wires between the ESC and motor) away from the receiver, the antenna, and any other low-voltage wiring like the servo connectors..
..a
Jul 15, 2001, 06:29 PM
One thing I don't see mentioned, but I believe helps, is to twist the +/- wires from the battery to the ESC like a twisted pair. The same for the +/- wires from the ESC to the motor. This reduces the electric and magnetic fields generated by the wires and also reduces the "noise" that they pick up.
Jul 15, 2001, 06:40 PM
SJ
SJ
Like RonD said.

Since Ive twisted mine, all my problems are gone. And keep the RX away from the Batt.
Jul 16, 2001, 01:27 PM

Twisting the cables sound like a good idea.
I'll do that.
Anyone heard about running the cables through aluminium tubes?
Would that do any good?

Thanks guys,

Dirk.
Jul 23, 2001, 09:13 PM
Senior Moment
Anyone heard about running the cables through aluminium tubes?
Would that do any good?
----
Don't think so, the magnetic field that you want to block will not be effected
by aluminum (Iron maybe). As power pluses are passed through the high current motor wires, they generate magnetic fields, when these fields cut through a signal wire, it induces current that mixes with the signal (degrading it).
Just like when you move a wire past a magnet, (or a magnet past a wire) the field pulls the loose copper electrons down the wire (aka generator).

Current flows in a loop (circuit) from the - side of a source to the + side.
If you twist the wires together, (twisted pair) then the magnetic fields,
which have opposite polarity (N & S like from magnet) will tend to cancel each other out.
This is why all the telephone wire in your house is Twisted Pair.. TP on sero wires protects them and keeps them from emitting also..

I bet that's clear as mud ;-)
Rich<>

[This message has been edited by rlt55 (edited 07-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rlt55 (edited 07-23-2001).]
Jul 25, 2001, 04:07 PM

When you say it like that, it makes sense :^)
I've really learned something.

Thanks Rich,

Dirk.