May 22, 2016, 08:52 PM
z33
z33
Still waiting for my frame from AP.

In the meantime planning my build. I want to kiss the whole thing but not sure if the kiss esc with its broader profile can fit slush with the arms. Thoughts?

If not, I may want to wait for the Aikons to come in. Would prefer the kiss as I have them in hand.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2016, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z33
Still waiting for my frame from AP.

In the meantime planning my build. I want to kiss the whole thing but not sure if the kiss esc with its broader profile can fit slush with the arms. Thoughts?

If not, I may want to wait for the Aikons to come in. Would prefer the kiss as I have them in hand.
Way to wide for the mad hatter arms.
May 23, 2016, 12:23 PM
I'll be running the following on my hatter when it and the parts come in:

KISS FC
DYS xm20a ESCs (want to put the 24a Kiss ESCs on there eventually.)
DYS SE2205 2300's
RROSD Pro PDB
Hawkeye VTX
HS1177

Excited!
May 23, 2016, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis
I'll be running the following on my hatter when it and the parts come in:

KISS FC
DYS xm20a ESCs (want to put the 24a Kiss ESCs on there eventually.)
DYS SE2205 2300's
RROSD Pro PDB
Hawkeye VTX
HS1177

Excited!
I wouldn't go with the 24A Kiss, they're wider than the arms are. The XM20's perform great, another option would be the new Aikon Bolt BLHeli_S models. They fit the arms with only 0.25mm overhang on the sides.
May 23, 2016, 01:54 PM
Here is my Mad Hatter. I crash a lot and couldn't go with the unprotected Session so I printed out a TPU mount for it.

I haven't had time to fly it a lot in the last few weeks or so but here is a trip around my yard from yesterday

Dodging some trees with the MadHatter (3 min 1 sec)

And here are some crashes, all I have broken so far is an ESC in a month of flying

MadHatterCrashTest (1 min 13 sec)

flight that ripped the pad off my esc

madhattercrash (0 min 13 sec)
May 24, 2016, 12:09 AM
z33
z33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPursuit
I wouldn't go with the 24A Kiss, they're wider than the arms are. The XM20's perform great, another option would be the new Aikon Bolt BLHeli_S models. They fit the arms with only 0.25mm overhang on the sides.
Noted, was planning that as well initially.

I will try out the new blheli-s with the emax lightning 35A, not sure if it has the same dimension as Aikon Bolt.

My build:
Kiss FC
HS1177 cam
Hawkeye 200 vtx
Demon pdb
Probably no OSD
RCX 2633kv motors
EMAX Lightning 35A
May 24, 2016, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Do you happen to know how much wider? I really like the fc/esc combo. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. hah.

Thanks!
May 24, 2016, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis
Do you happen to know how much wider? I really like the fc/esc combo. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. hah.

Thanks!
almost 7mm wider, so there will be at least 3mm worth of esc hanging off each side. You'll be fine if you never crash, but it will look funny and block more thrust.

http://flyduino.net/KISS-ESC-2-5S-24...s-motor-ctrl_1

I don't know how they can say small dimensions when it's one of the largest escs.
May 24, 2016, 09:50 AM
why doesn't it ever just work?
Quote:
New frame...the Nutzo. Battery in the middle, double-box fuselage with split electronics, built-in camera mount like the Mad Hatter, fully adjustable camera tilt. Moosestang ordered one the day he saw it, but then again, he buys all the quads :-)

And of course a flight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbnYlwt3aaM

Available on BowtieMultirotors.com now and on Armattan Productions next week.
i'm interested in this frame. is anyone else flying this? i'm curious on durability and clearance between the props and the cable running to the upper deck. do you have more detailed pictures of electronics layout?
May 24, 2016, 10:10 AM
i'm also looking for electronics layouts for the mad hatter. how are you guys doing this on 20mm standoffs? i found this picture, but it doesn't show where the rx is hiding. anyone using frsky rx with pics of build?

May 24, 2016, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWingman
i'm also looking for electronics layouts for the mad hatter. how are you guys doing this on 20mm standoffs? i found this picture, but it doesn't show where the rx is hiding. anyone using frsky rx with pics of build?
Hey Wicked, I'll take some detailed pics of mine when I get home from my real job this afternoon. I'm using a Frsky X4R-SB sandwiched in between the PDB and FC. Moosestang is the only one whose built it on 20mm standoffs I believe.
Last edited by BGPursuit; May 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
May 24, 2016, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWingman
i'm interested in this frame. is anyone else flying this? i'm curious on durability and clearance between the props and the cable running to the upper deck. do you have more detailed pictures of electronics layout?
I'll take some more pics later today. As far as durability goes, here's me driving it smack into a tree trunk. No damage whatsoever, just shattered props. For the tether between the top and bottom, I run 4 wires (ground, power, serial connection to the FC) as well as the RX aerials and a zip tie for an aerial guide, and have heatshrink around the bundle..there's still a few mm clearance between the prop tip and the heat shrink.

Nutzo Crash Test (0 min 13 sec)
Last edited by BGPursuit; May 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
May 24, 2016, 11:29 AM
Here is me slinging apart a Dal prop yesterday. Hit the ground hard enough to rip the battery out of its shrink wrap. The Mad Hatter came out unharmed

Mad Hatter blew a prop (0 min 22 sec)

May 24, 2016, 11:44 AM
thanks BGP. great designs. i drew one up similar to the nutzo, but it ended up looking silly, so i abandoned the idea. you've pulled it off nicely.
May 24, 2016, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
almost 7mm wider, so there will be at least 3mm worth of esc hanging off each side. You'll be fine if you never crash, but it will look funny and block more thrust.

http://flyduino.net/KISS-ESC-2-5S-24...s-motor-ctrl_1

I don't know how they can say small dimensions when it's one of the largest escs.
They say this about their 30A escs: "Very small size (21 x 35.5 x 5.2 mm)" haha.

Either way, damn. Their 18A ESCs are 12mm wide, but aren't the same. Sadface.

Thanks for the info! Do you also have any pictures or more info on your slammed 20mm build?