May 20, 2016, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPursuit
I've flown it with a broken Yi for testing. Didn't notice anything different on takeoff or throughout the flight, using the tune I had with the GoPro Session.

I'm liking it!
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2016, 02:39 AM
Flew for 4 minutes just farting around the yard, no full throttle. Battery was only down to 3.7v per cell. I'm liking betaflight 2.7.1

mad hatter 2 farting around in the yard (4 min 17 sec)
May 21, 2016, 04:03 PM
Purchased!
May 22, 2016, 01:08 PM
How's the durability of the frame? None of the crashes in the videos look like mine. Let's say I were diving a water and pulled out late... I'm I replacing props or everything?

The only other question I've got is if the oscillation I'm seeing at full throttle in the videos is the frame, or the way the go pro is mounted?

I pissed away ~$100 on a "another frame" which did a pretty bad job of keeping screws in arms and has a bunch of oscillation and hoping not to repeat, so I've been waiting on a katana, but this appears to address the issues I've got with the katana design
Last edited by QuadroBro; May 22, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
May 22, 2016, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadroBro
How's the durability of the frame? None of the crashes in the videos look like mine. Let's say I were diving a water and pulled out late... I'm I replacing props or everything?

The only other question I've got is if the oscillation I'm seeing at full throttle in the videos is the frame, or the way the go pro is mounted?

I pissed away ~$100 on a "another frame" which did a pretty bad job of keeping screws in arms and has a bunch of oscillation and hoping not to repeat, so I've been waiting on a katana, but this appears to address the issues I've got with the katana design
What other frame did you buy? Keeping screws in the arms? you should loctite all screws, including motor screws. 4 of the arm bolts use nylock nuts so those aren't going anywhere. I get a little oscillation in fast forward flight, but it's just my poor tuning i'm sure. too much P yaw maybe.

I sometimes see some jello in my video at full throttle, but it's so minor i haven't bothered with adding foam under the session. The session is hard mounted to the top plates on mine and the frame is extremely rigid for having such thin arms, so any vibrations from the motors are going to get transferred to the camera, flight controller, etc. My skitzo motors are also beat up, so they aren't smooth like they once were. For having such thin arms, i think the durability is outstanding. I fully expected to break an arm by now.

Diving a water? Post one of your typical crashes. my typical crashes are head on into a pine tree.
May 22, 2016, 01:44 PM
Quote:

Any oscillation is from tuning in these vids, the frame is stiffer than unibody designs of the same size. Moosestang commented on this when he first looked at my prototype. I used some pretty noisy motors on the first build (won't be using that brand again)...it's on my bench now waiting for some DYS SE2205's to arrive.

Out of the 5 Mad Hatters in my group of friends, after hundreds of flights and many many tree/ground slams, we've had one broken arm and a cracked vertical plate. The former was replaced in a few minutes, the latter is still flying after a little bit of epoxy.

As far as the arm/screws go, I used blue Loctite on the first prototype and haven't touched the bolts since the initial build, everything is nice and tight.
May 22, 2016, 01:45 PM
Slammed the Nutzo into a tree today, not a scratch!

Nutzo Crash Test (0 min 13 sec)
May 22, 2016, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
What other frame did you buy? Keeping screws in the arms? you should loctite all screws, including motor screws. 4 of the arm bolts use nylock nuts so those aren't going anywhere. I get a little oscillation in fast forward flight, but it's just my poor tuning i'm sure. too much P yaw maybe.

I sometimes see some jello in my video at full throttle, but it's so minor i haven't bothered with adding foam under the session. The session is hard mounted to the top plates on mine and the frame is extremely rigid for having such thin arms, so any vibrations from the motors are going to get transferred to the camera, flight controller, etc. My skitzo motors are also beat up, so they aren't smooth like they once were. For having such thin arms, i think the durability is outstanding. I fully expected to break an arm by now.

Diving a water? Post one of your typical crashes. my typical crashes are head on into a pine tree.
The other frame was NOT a bowtie. It's the QAV -R and I suppose the hardware could be part of the issue, but the fact that they made an additional brace plate after the fact, tells me I'm not the first with the list screw issue.

Just bought a Goby as a basher but would like something that spins 5" props in the 182-190 range and stumbled across this thread this morning.
Last edited by QuadroBro; May 22, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
May 22, 2016, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Any oscillation is from tuning in these vids, the frame is stiffer than unibody designs of the same size. Moosestang commented on this when he first looked at my prototype. I used some pretty noisy motors on the first build (won't be using that brand again)...it's on my bench now waiting for some DYS SE2205's to arrive.

Out of the 5 Mad Hatters in my group of friends, after hundreds of flights and many many tree/ground slams, we've had one broken arm and a cracked vertical plate. The former was replaced in a few minutes, the latter is still flying after a little bit of epoxy.

As far as the arm/screws go, I used blue Loctite on the first prototype and haven't touched the bolts since the initial build, everything is nice and tight.
Were the noisy motors the red bottoms? If so, I guess those will go on the Goby...

Also, sold. I'll see if I can't get blink to bite the bullet and actually BUY a frame, albeit he's pretty big on what sponsors send him. Maybe I'll be the first in CO to buy one?
Last edited by QuadroBro; May 22, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
May 22, 2016, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Were the noisy motors the red bottoms?

Also, sold. I'll see if I can't get blink to bite the bullet and actually BUY a frame, albeit he's pretty big on what sponsors send him. Maybe I'll be the first in CO to buy one?
They were the RCX 2205-2350kv's. Have a set of those and a set of the same brand in 2633kv, not impressed with either.

Moosestang is running red bottoms on his 2nd Hatter (he's a bit of an addict when it comes to quads!) He'll probably be posting soon with a flight or two from our Sunday morning flight session...he was tearing it up today.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't shipped any to Colorado yet
May 22, 2016, 03:56 PM
Quote:
They were the RCX 2205-2350kv's. Have a set of those and a set of the same brand in 2633kv, not impressed with either.

Moosestang is running red bottoms on his 2nd Hatter (he's a bit of an addict when it comes to quads!) He'll probably be posting soon with a flight or two from our Sunday morning flight session...he was tearing it up today.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't shipped any to Colorado yet
(Burns voice) "excellent".

I've got a dodo n doge looking for a home, as well as a kiss fc that needs a pdb or pdb/osd. I was going to put one of them in the Goby, but the Goby seems more like a "brf3" type of quad... Any recommendations for this frame between the dodo and kiss?
May 22, 2016, 04:16 PM
My first flight of the day today.

Skitzo mad hatter nerves of steel (3 min 19 sec)
May 22, 2016, 04:42 PM
Quote:
The other frame was NOT a bowtie. It's the QAV -R and I suppose the hardware could be part of the issue, but the fact that they made an additional brace plate after the fact, tells me I'm not the first with the list screw issue.

Just bought a Goby as a basher but would like something that spins 5" props in the 182-190 range and stumbled across this thread this morning.
I haven't looked at the QAV-R. The goby is excellent though! The only weak part of the goby is the top plate. I'd recommend adding a second top plate if you are going to mount a hd camera to it. Maybe BGPursuit will include a better goby top plate for all the goby owners who order a mad hatter.

Looking at the qav-r and having a 5 inch alien myself, it seems like it's missing a necessary base plate and they used some fancy nuts to try and eliminate the need for flight controller standoffs? Seems a big over engineered, but nice looking try at an updated alien.

emax redbottoms seem fine on the mad hatter, they'd be excellent on a goby. It's true i don't spend a lot of time tuning my quads and i barely understand PIDS. I'm happy to take any tuning advise though. Mr. BGPursuit flew my emax mad hatter for over 4 minutes today on a 1300mah tattu 75c 4s battery, crazy! I did tell him not to hit anything, so he was taking it easy.
Last edited by moosestang; May 22, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
May 22, 2016, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
I haven't looked at the QAV-R. The goby is excellent though! The only weak part of the goby is the top plate. I'd recommend adding a second top plate if you are going to mount a hd camera to it. Maybe BGPursuit will include a better goby top plate for all the goby owners who order a mad hatter.

Looking at the qav-r and having a 5 inch alien myself, it seems like it's missing a necessary base plate and they used some fancy nuts to try and eliminate the need for flight controller standoffs? Seems a big over engineered, but nice looking try at an updated alien.

emax redbottoms seem fine on the mad hatter, they'd be excellent on a goby. It's true i don't spend a lot of time tuning my quads and i barely understand PIDS. I'm happy to take any tuning advise though.
The top plate is the whole reason I'm hesitant to put anything decent in it. I'll gladly pay him for a thicker, wider Goby top plate. I'm about to order a wanhao i3 and a micro Swiss and was planning on trying to find a way to get the camera uncuffed but still protect it a bit, while developing a universal vtx mount and aio electronics cage for a few different platforms. Not sure if you've got a printer, but I'll send what I come up with your way
May 22, 2016, 06:24 PM
Quote:
The top plate is the whole reason I'm hesitant to put anything decent in it. I'll gladly pay him for a thicker, wider Goby top plate. I'm about to order a wanhao i3 and a micro Swiss and was planning on trying to find a way to get the camera uncuffed but still protect it a bit, while developing a universal vtx mount and aio electronics cage for a few different platforms. Not sure if you've got a printer, but I'll send what I come up with your way
Well i know he has designed one.

Flight this morning with the emax mad hatter. emax redbottom 2300kv, littlebee 20a, naze32 running betaflight 2.7.1. I lowered roll P to 3.9 and yaw p to 7.5, raised roll D to 20 and Pitch D to 24, that's it. 500 looptime. I didn't even break a prop at the end, but i've trained myself to disarm quickly when i hit something.

Emax mad hatter no fear (2 min 39 sec)
Last edited by moosestang; May 22, 2016 at 06:31 PM.