May 17, 2016, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedheavy
BGPursuit, I just noticed you mentioned the arms "interlock" on your bowtie quads website. Do you mind sharing a picture of the center/between the sandwich where the arms meet?

I thought I was the second to do this, on the STYX (BOP's raptor quads being the first) but I think we might have different interpretations of interlock. Just eager to see your design.
They don't interlock like that, but that is an interesting concept. I am no engineer, so i can't speak to the strength of such a design, but the weakness i see is that you have two different kinds of arms.

All the mad hatter arms are the same and it comes with an extra one, so no matter which arm you break, you can replace it. Each arm just butts up against the next leaving a void in the middle. I was able to place my pololu in that 4mm deep void in the middle.

the extra arm was a big selling point for me, i don't think anyone else does this.

to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2016, 12:11 PM
lazrlabs & armattan ᕦ(॓_॔)ᕤ
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
They don't interlock like that, but that is an interesting concept. I am no engineer, so i can't speak to the strength of such a design, but the weakness i see is that you have two different kinds of arms.

All the mad hatter arms are the same and it comes with an extra one, so no matter which arm you break, you can replace it. Each arm just butts up against the next leaving a void in the middle. I was able to place my pololu in that 4mm deep void in the middle.

the extra arm was a big selling point for me, i don't think anyone else does this.

Thanks for the picture moosetang.

Just wanted to check. Yea, that option is really good, it distributes the load well. This is what BoltRC uses on its BlackOps quads and it really works well. Added bonus of the hollow space between the arms to use for BECs, OSDs, RXs, and so on.

You are right, the main shortcoming of the stepped interlock on the STYX is having a pair of CW arms and a pair of CCW. If I made the motor mount holes symmetrical like on most frames (and the Hatter) I could get away with 4 arms that are identical. My main intent was to decrease the number of screws (only really need 1 screw per arm with my design), but the problem is switching out arms is more difficult. Everything comes with tradeoffs.

The RaptorQuads arm by BOP is a good compromise between the STYX and Hatter designs. Features a little of each, and I think it has its place as well. Distributes load well, only one arm (instead of one cw, one ccw) and interfaces laterally and vertically. Also only 2 screws per arm, and only need to remove 3 screws to switch out an arm. Downside is the interface is so compact (30.5x30.5) that a lot more force is concentrated in a smaller area.

Sorry for the OT, just love that newer frames are adopting advanced structural techniques to stiffen up and provide more while still lowering weight. Love to see convergent design and so much progress over the last few years in the mini quad space.
Last edited by unitedhvy; May 17, 2016 at 12:18 PM.
May 17, 2016, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedheavy
Thanks for the picture moosetang.

Just wanted to check. Yea, that option is really good, it distributes the load well. This is what BoltRC uses on its BlackOps quads and it really works well. Added bonus of the hollow space between the arms to use for BECs, OSDs, RXs, and so on.

You are right, the main shortcoming of the stepped interlock on the STYX is having a pair of CW arms and a pair of CCW. If I made the motor mount holes symmetrical like on most frames (and the Hatter) I could get away with 4 arms that are identical. My main intent was to decrease the number of screws (only really need 1 screw per arm with my design), but the problem is switching out arms is more difficult. Everything comes with tradeoffs.

The RaptorQuads arm by BOP is a good compromise between the STYX and Hatter designs. Features a little of each, and I think it has its place as well. Distributes load well, only one arm (instead of one cw, one ccw) and interfaces laterally and vertically. Also only 2 screws per arm, and only need to remove 3 screws to switch out an arm. Downside is the interface is so compact (30.5x30.5) that a lot more force is concentrated in a smaller area.

Sorry for the OT, just love that newer frames are adopting advanced structural techniques to stiffen up and provide more while still lowering weight. Love to see convergent design and so much progress over the last few years in the mini quad space.
That's a cool design, but i doubt seriously that i will ever break an arm under the base plates. It's most likely going to snap in the middle or at the motor. I think the reason so many alien base plates were cracking was because the arms connected in the middle of the frame, giving it more leverage in a crash, plus they use much wider arms. The alien cost me $120 and didn't come with an extra arm!

the blackops is a lot like the mad hatter, uses thinner arms than the alien and has a void in the middle of the base plates. I really like that frame, but it's heavy. I'm sure you know i own a blackops. It's going to be tough to break it.
May 17, 2016, 01:00 PM
I'm fairly certain the bottom "plate" assembly will only ever fail at one of the arms. I considered doing a pocketing setup that would allow the puzzle-piecing of the arms like the image above, but between engineering around the CW/CCW issue and the added expense of the two-sided pocketing operation, I think it ends up being more cost to the purchaser without much noticeable benefit.

I do always like convergent engineering...something cool about two very different minds engineering a very similar solution.
May 17, 2016, 01:15 PM
Didn't give it full throttle at the beginning, next time. Had to make sure it wouldn't drop out of the sky first.

Bowtie multirotors mad hatter emax redbottoms (2 min 29 sec)
Last edited by moosestang; May 17, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
May 18, 2016, 03:14 PM
Anybody tried to put a GoPro (not session) on it, if yes how were the take-off, interested in this one !
May 18, 2016, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
Anybody tried to put a GoPro (not session) on it, if yes how were the take-off, interested in this one !
i could strap my broken gopro hero 3 on it and see.

Tried to do a full throttle punch out without the gopro on board. Didn't really consider that the antenna would rotate down into the prop, it was tight. Even after i heard the loud crack, i didn't let off the throttle.

ground cam foxeer legend 1, 15 foot tower cam gopro session. I just noticed you can see the top to my antenna fall back down at the 29 second mark, especially if you slowmo it.

Bowtie multirotors mad hatter no gopro onboard (0 min 49 sec)
Last edited by moosestang; May 18, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
May 18, 2016, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
I've flown it with a broken Yi for testing. Didn't notice anything different on takeoff or throughout the flight, using the tune I had with the GoPro Session.

May 18, 2016, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPursuit
I've flown it with a broken Yi for testing. Didn't notice anything different on takeoff or throughout the flight, using the tune I had with the GoPro Session.

Ughhh! That just looks wrong.
May 18, 2016, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
Ughhh! That just looks wrong.
Hahaha, don't see the point of a 300$ camera on top that's it.
Thanks for your answers
May 19, 2016, 08:07 AM
New frame...the Nutzo. Battery in the middle, double-box fuselage with split electronics, built-in camera mount like the Mad Hatter, fully adjustable camera tilt. Moosestang ordered one the day he saw it, but then again, he buys all the quads :-)

And of course a flight video:

Speed Therapy (1 min 57 sec)

Available on BowtieMultirotors.com now and on Armattan Productions next week.
May 19, 2016, 10:31 AM
Your designs are BRILLIANT !
May 19, 2016, 06:15 PM
z33
z33
Very nice! I don't like batteries at the bottom in general...

Maybe I get this too! Addiction....
May 19, 2016, 09:57 PM
I've been thinking of how I wanted to protect the battery when strapping on the bottom, maybe instead of the mad hatter I will go with the Nutzo.... it's pretty sweet looking!
May 20, 2016, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0torious
I've been thinking of how I wanted to protect the battery when strapping on the bottom, maybe instead of the mad hatter I will go with the Nutzo.... it's pretty sweet looking!
I fly almost exclusively tattu batteries and haven't had any problems. They have thick aluminum plate on both sides of the battery.