Mad Hatter (and friends!) from BowTie Multirotors - Page 152 - RC Groups
May 15, 2017, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schire
I could maybe do it, but you need a rigid, strong, material. Tpu would be strong enough, but not rigid enough to support a gopro unless you completely redesign the hat. I might give it a shot, but the original design files for the hatter would be great.
I was thinking it would work if you had cross members above the FC, you could lay the vtx on them and just slide it in and out the back. Now it you want it to cover the FC, then it may not offer much protection. IDK, i'm not a tpu expert. This one i got that sits on the FC stack seems plenty rigid enough, especially after you slide it over the standoffs.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
I was thinking it would work if you had cross members above the FC, you could lay the vtx on them and just slide it in and out the back. Now it you want it to cover the FC, then it may not offer much protection. IDK, i'm not a tpu expert. This one i got that sits on the FC stack seems plenty rigid enough, especially after you slide it over the standoffs.
The idea I'm toying with is basically turning that pod you posted a picture of into a hat.
May 15, 2017, 11:00 AM
Quote:
The idea I'm toying with is basically turning that pod you posted a picture of into a hat.
Ah, that's how you're going about it. That might just result in it being ripped off?
May 15, 2017, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis
Ah, that's how you're going about it. That might just result in it being ripped off?
Maybe. Unless I use some washers and print it in solid TPU. It's not going to be plates like the traditional hats, but more like a solid block whith an angled bench for the gopro.
Last edited by the schire; May 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM.
May 15, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis
Nah, if you use the knurled 28mm standoffs that getfpv sells it won't go anywhere, but you really don't want it sitting on the FC standoffs and the gopro will actually sit up higher then.
May 15, 2017, 04:44 PM
No, no. I'm on board with going around the standoffs. Lol
May 18, 2017, 09:31 AM
@moosestang, how are the RS2306 motors treating you?
May 19, 2017, 08:53 AM
Quote:
@moosestang, how are the RS2306 motors treating you?
I love those motors! I do, really. I'm going to do some back to back flight videos with the emax and the f40pro to compare, it's not really fair since my 2306's are on my mad hatter with 5mm arms, so it's a good 20-30 grams heavier, but even still the emax have a torque advantage over the f40pros, imo of course, i have no way to measure motor torque.

Maybe i'll use my + quad in the comparison, it's a little lighter than the f40pro mad hatter.
May 19, 2017, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
I love those motors! I do, really. I'm going to do some back to back flight videos with the emax and the f40pro to compare, it's not really fair since my 2306's are on my mad hatter with 5mm arms, so it's a good 20-30 grams heavier, but even still the emax have a torque advantage over the f40pros, imo of course, i have no way to measure motor torque.

Maybe i'll use my + quad in the comparison, it's a little lighter than the f40pro mad hatter.
I'm more referring to durability, I've killed 2 F40 pros after little to no abuse. Not sure if you saw my video on miniquad club, but I had one smoke on n the bench (well, it was more the esc that caused that, but still the bell popped off that brand new motor and it managed to bend).
May 19, 2017, 02:39 PM
Quote:
I'm more referring to durability, I've killed 2 F40 pros after little to no abuse. Not sure if you saw my video on miniquad club, but I had one smoke on n the bench (well, it was more the esc that caused that, but still the bell popped off that brand new motor and it managed to bend).
I know some people have had magnets slip lately on emax motors, but i don't know what they are doing, because i have 2,000 sets and not one slipped magnet. It's more like 10 sets of emax, but it's a lot. 40 motors and no slipped magnets, no broken shafts, never had a c-clip come off. I've never even really warn out an emax. They start getting crunchy and i sell them to Ben, he's always breaking motors.
May 20, 2017, 09:41 PM
finally got things buttoned up last night and flew threw about 15 packs today.. holy crap.. what an awesome flying machine. thanks schire for the wiring help. I ended up running the VTX off the 12v matek pdb BEC because the label on it said it wanted min 7v. those dal props are gonna be scary. I can't believe how durable it seems.. no matter how many bounces or rolls off the ground brush off the dirt and grass and off it goes. the 12v bec on matec pdb seems to be doing a good job.. I get no noise on video feed even on a full punch out. My first flight was off my balcony at 3:00 am last night which ended up being a mistake because all I had for vision was a few street lamp lights.. go figure I get it stuck in the top of a tree.. I didn't even know where it was at first.. I was outside in my development climbing down the side of a ravine with a flashlight searching for about 30 minutes for it before I decided to go back inside and grab the transmitter and re-arm it.. immediately after doing that I see it fall about 60 ft (luckily on to some soft and angled ground as it had been raining) -- no damage. it hovers with the throttle at about 32-35% up from bottom on transmitter which I eventually got used to but I might like to try and mess w/ my throttle curve ? to try and get the hover to be closer to a mid stick position..

anyways to sum it up : this quad rocks..

thanks again guys.

I'll get some pics soon...
Last edited by fpvnoobe; May 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM.
May 21, 2017, 07:27 AM
Nice man!!
May 21, 2017, 08:19 AM
The mad hatter is a pretty tough little frame. I remember the first time I took one out, I got it stuck 40-50ft up in a tree. When it came down, all I broke was an unsoldered 90 degree sma adapter.
May 21, 2017, 11:43 AM
Honorable Deplorable
The only thing I managed to damage was the tip of one arm has some carbon peeling. This was from a high speed pass as low as possible, well a little too low as I caught the street and tumbled probably 25-30 yards. The only damage was a bent prop and the one arm tip.

The frame does look fragile, but that is far from the truth! These things are little juggernauts!
May 21, 2017, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
The only thing I managed to damage was the tip of one arm has some carbon peeling. This was from a high speed pass as low as possible, well a little too low as I caught the street and tumbled probably 25-30 yards. The only damage was a bent prop and the one arm tip.

The frame does look fragile, but that is far from the truth! These things are little juggernauts!
Drop some CA glue on the edges of the carbon, it'll help keep the carbon from delaminating any further.

Yeah it's pretty tough. Funny you say that, Ben has an arm design called the juggernaut.