May 07, 2016, 07:14 AM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Careful!

If you're doing a pre-flight check please pay attention to it! :-)

After a layoff of almost 2 months without flying (vacations + wrist surgery) I picked my most well behaved plane to readapt my fingers to the sticks.
After a quite tense first flight and a bit more relaxed I went for the second one. It was getting dark and was in a hurry to fly as much as I could since the first flight had been slightly tense.
Well, I did my careless pre-flight check ever and simply missed a dead aileron servo before take off . I didn't notice it until I made a pop top which probably moved the aileron off center. The plane started to turn really hard to the left and took me almost full right aileron to keep it level.
Being the second flight after the layoff I was still getting used to the sticks again which made things even more difficult. I managed to keep focused and as calm as I could, lowered the throttle and harrier landed it in the tall grass with only a broken prop and detached landing gear plate.

Here is the video, you can clearly see the dead servo. It probably died as soon as I plugged the battery as it worked normally on the first flight.

Lesson learned: don't rush things and pay attention to your pre-flight checks.

More details here

Ronaldo

GOPR0087 (1 min 15 sec)
Last edited by ronaldopn; May 07, 2016 at 07:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2016, 08:40 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
I agree with the importance of pre-flight checks. It's important to do them, and it's important to do them without being distracted.
May 26, 2016, 10:20 PM
A good point. I've landed after an aileron servo died, but at least it was in a neutral position! Fully deflected anything is going to be hard to handle.

PD
Last edited by marmalade1; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Auto correct issues
May 27, 2016, 06:22 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
So many times I read of that quick last flight of the day ending in undesirable results... I figure the tendency to take shortcuts is something we all have to be careful not to do. Not only flying airplanes but in everything we do. Sometimes I catch myself not paying attention to detail; if I can, I just stop what I'm doing and come back to it later.
I was at the field about ten days ago, the first plane ground looped so bad when I tried to take off, I just cut the throttle and put it away. The second model's control surfaces were not operating properly. I knew it was time to "stand down", pack up and go home. No time for bullish pride...

Quick Reply