May 08, 2016, 06:29 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Hey Lucy, Pleaz 'splain "twinney" I don get it, please ?
I'm guessing twinned may refer to it having 2 wings?
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2016, 10:03 PM
the planes called twinney, I didn't name it
I believe its and english design,
May 09, 2016, 05:34 AM
Retired CAD guy
Oh OK , I guess I'm just a bit daft 8>0
May 09, 2016, 05:17 PM
PSALM 14:1

Originals

Enjoyed reading this thread Jon.

My father and uncle both built new SchoolGirls "back in the day" (early 70s?). I've attached the only picture they've ever found of their 'Girls.

Fast forward to late 2009 and I purchased a pair of new SchoolGirl pre-cut kits from Earlyrcmodels.com (now gone) for each of them for Christmas

Added working elevators or course, but no ailerons.

Powered each by bell-type brushless motors, 8" props and a 1300mah 3s lipos.

They are GREAT flying planes with plenty of power for nice big loops, or just easy cruising.

Both are still flying to this day, some 6 years later
May 09, 2016, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=P-51 fan;34709696]When you cover your planes with doculam I assume you are applying it with an iron and heat gun? Keep in mind you can paint the adhesive side of doculam, then when it is put on it will look like glossy Monokote.

I tried this and it seems to work great. I've tried all of the brands and for solid colors, should be no problem, I'm making enough to cover my playmate, cream and blue, but I also made some to do patchwork on a few others
May 09, 2016, 07:32 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Enjoyed reading this thread Jon.

My father and uncle both built new SchoolGirls "back in the day" (early 70s?). I've attached the only picture they've ever found of their 'Girls.

Fast forward to late 2009 and I purchased a pair of new SchoolGirl pre-cut kits from Earlyrcmodels.com (now gone) for each of them for Christmas

Added working elevators or course, but no ailerons.

Powered each by bell-type brushless motors, 8" props and a 1300mah 3s lipos.

They are GREAT flying planes with plenty of power for nice big loops, or just easy cruising.

Both are still flying to this day, some 6 years later
Thanks for sharing your photos. It's cool you were able to find the Schoolgirl kits years later and they're still flying today. Nice looking airplanes.

I wish I had a photo of my original Schoolgirl. I never flew it but I did win a blue ribbon in a model building contest with it when I was about 13.

Fortunately the foam board Schoolgirl retains the easy flying characteristics of the original balsa wood. It doesn't take much motor to power the Schoolgirl either. Mine will do continuous loops with a 1806/2300kv motor and a 6x4 prop. I think it needs a little more rudder authority though. It can be reluctant to turn into the wind at times.

Jon
May 10, 2016, 04:41 AM
Quote:
This was one of my first RC planes.

Still a fave!
Ken
One of mine also, I had one I scratchbuilt many years ago and was always going to build another but never got around to it, Jons version here got me going on it and I couldn't be more impressed.

Quote:
I tried this and it seems to work great. I've tried all of the brands and for solid colors, should be no problem, I'm making enough to cover my playmate, cream and blue, but I also made some to do patchwork on a few others
Good to hear, I do have to confess sometimes I do cheat a bit, I will do the main color with doculam painted on the backside then trim after the model is covered...really basically the same as using regular Monokote or equivelant. I have found over the years that adhesive backed sign vinyl can be used to make some great trim schemes and lots of scraps can be had for free at a local sign shop.

As I mentioned earlier I used cellophane gift wrap on this plane, it was a bit of a pain because I had to add adhesive (I used spray adhesive) but it really worked better than I expected. It shrinks well also. $1 for an 8 foot roll, so it was worth trying.

Quote:
My father and uncle both built new SchoolGirls "back in the day" (early 70s?).
Those are some great looking 'Girls Sammy70! Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
. I think it needs a little more rudder authority though.
Awesome about the blue ribbon Jon! I can see that happening you do some great work. I wonder if you enlarge the fin on yours like I did if it would be enough to make her turn a little better? I've often wondered if adding ailerons to the original sized plane would be worth the effort or not, it would add a little weight I suppose also.

Here is a little clip of one of my first flights, I'm not a video-superstar so it isn't great video but it shows her flying a bit. This is also when I was still flying her more with the motor than actually letting her fly on the wings so she looks fast.

I was afraid I would loose the great flying characteristics of the design by enlarging the plane but it didn't (as I mentioned I had to learn how to fly it.), my version has a larger bottom wing and fin which I added mainly for cosmetics...I do not feel it flies "better" with my mods, I just felt it looked better.

This is my favorite plane to fly.

Bob

Schoolgirl biplane built with DTFB (1 min 50 sec)
May 13, 2016, 08:17 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 fan
One of mine also, I had one I scratchbuilt many years ago and was always going to build another but never got around to it, Jons version here got me going on it and I couldn't be more impressed.

Good to hear, I do have to confess sometimes I do cheat a bit, I will do the main color with doculam painted on the backside then trim after the model is covered...really basically the same as using regular Monokote or equivelant. I have found over the years that adhesive backed sign vinyl can be used to make some great trim schemes and lots of scraps can be had for free at a local sign shop.

As I mentioned earlier I used cellophane gift wrap on this plane, it was a bit of a pain because I had to add adhesive (I used spray adhesive) but it really worked better than I expected. It shrinks well also. $1 for an 8 foot roll, so it was worth trying.

Those are some great looking 'Girls Sammy70! Thank you for sharing.

Awesome about the blue ribbon Jon! I can see that happening you do some great work. I wonder if you enlarge the fin on yours like I did if it would be enough to make her turn a little better? I've often wondered if adding ailerons to the original sized plane would be worth the effort or not, it would add a little weight I suppose also.

Here is a little clip of one of my first flights, I'm not a video-superstar so it isn't great video but it shows her flying a bit. This is also when I was still flying her more with the motor than actually letting her fly on the wings so she looks fast.

I was afraid I would loose the great flying characteristics of the design by enlarging the plane but it didn't (as I mentioned I had to learn how to fly it.), my version has a larger bottom wing and fin which I added mainly for cosmetics...I do not feel it flies "better" with my mods, I just felt it looked better.

This is my favorite plane to fly.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se3d7902OfQ
The extended span of the bottom wing improves the look of it greatly (IMO)

I'd like to build one now!
May 13, 2016, 08:30 AM
Quote:
The extended span of the bottom wing improves the look of it greatly (IMO)

I'd like to build one now!
Yes, I believe it does but at the same time I didn't want to take away from the original design too much, also as I mentioned I don't believe it makes it fly any better than the original.

I would like to see another built, I believe Jon and I have the only two foam Schoolgirls out there lol so we are a bit biased, it would be nice to get a few more in the air.

Bob
May 13, 2016, 08:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 fan
I would like to see another built, I believe Jon and I have the only two foam Schoolgirls out there lol so we are a bit biased, it would be nice to get a few more in the air.

Bob
I'll second that motion.

The other option is to eliminate the bottom wing and build what Ken Willard called the "Sophisticated Schoolgirl".

Jon
May 13, 2016, 09:04 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Waaaaay back , one of my best friends Dad told me to take the Schoolgirl bipe he had built and was hanging from the ceiling , and Fly it ... Gray Monokote covered body , Red Monokoted wings and tail ... all meticulously crafted by the older gentleman ... So we installed our new RS radio , and a Golden Bee .049 with Throttle sleeve and servo controlling that .. The Golden Bee sported a double ported sleeve and the tank was drilled so i could run the engine off a small external fuel tank stuffed in the nose .. ( a small CL wedge tank ... what I had ! ) Although not Light (as we know it today) it was the sweetest flier ... Stable , could really slow it down , do touch and goes ... Big Fun ... We flew it a LOT , then cleaned it up and gave it back .... He hung it back up from the ceiling ... That was the last time I saw him ...

With Foam now and the unbelievable ultralight weight of all the gear , Great old designs like this should be SUPER fliers , even compared tho their prior ancestry (balsa) ... We always loved Ken Willard designs , because they always FLEW well ... and some were quite “out the box” ... and they flew well too ... And a lot of his basic proportions were a basis for a lot of my designs...

Great Job 2J2D !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 14, 2016, 12:54 AM
Thread OP

Ranger 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
With Foam now and the unbelievable ultralight weight of all the gear , Great old designs like this should be SUPER fliers , even compared tho their prior ancestry (balsa) ... We always loved Ken Willard designs , because they always FLEW well ... and some were quite “out the box” ... and they flew well too ... And a lot of his basic proportions were a basis for a lot of my designs...

Great Job 2J2D !!!
Thanks, gpw. Great story about the Schoolgirl. You were lucky to be able to fly RC back then.

My first foam board conversion from balsa wood plans was the Carl Goldberg Ranger 30. The Ranger was my favorite free flight airplane when I was a boy. Even though I built the foam board Ranger to exactly the same dimensions as the balsa wood model it was a terrible flier as an RC airplane. It looked pretty but was a tip stalling disaster. By the fourth redesign with the help of other scratch build modelers we have a great flying reproduction of the Ranger 30. It's the most aerobatic airplane in my hanger right now. With a 3s battery it's a little ripper. 2s is fast enough for me and my piloting skills right now. The whole airplane is cut from one sheet of Adams Readi-Board.

Jon

Name: Ranger version 6 a.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 218.0 KB
Description: Name: Ranger version 6 b.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 217.2 KB
Description:
May 14, 2016, 01:38 AM
skumgummi dave
TooJung2Die:

Please share your Ranger 30 plans with us?

Thanks, Dave-
May 14, 2016, 05:55 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice looking Ranger !!! Although we only ever built Jr. Falcons and Jr. Skylarks for RO ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 14, 2016, 09:47 AM
I love the c/g line of planes they all flew great and built really easily, just remember if you build the falcon add 1" to the nose, it'll; balance better and fly nicer.
beware on the foam board construction, twinney weighed an ounce or two lighter than the plans indicated, for this size of plane that.s a lot, but my balance was off and it was just enough to fly great but land poorly. My don Juan should be a bit lighter than the balsa version but I doubt it will be much, the retracts and everything that reinforcess the structure added weight, so for a 60 size plane of that era, 5 lbs is light

Quick Reply