May 06, 2016, 09:43 AM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie to gas looking for engine

My latest project, an 83" ugly stik seems like a good candidate for a gas engine in the 26cc - 30cc range. However not knowing anything about engines I was hoping folks could help me find something.

I saw lots of cheap ones at hobby King, but mixed reviews on them and lesser service after the sale is a pretty big gotcha.

I saw the Evolution 33GX from Horizon and with coupon codes can get it for around $285 and it seems like a very good option.

I also know of others DLE for instance can be had a little cheaper from Tower but I would also need a regulator that the Evolution doesn't require.

I am looking for something very reliable, easy to run, and not have headaches later, so that rules out the cheap stuff out of China unless people really think they are ok.

What does everyone recommend?
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2016, 09:55 AM
The DLE 30 is a great option and you would not need a regulator for up to a 2-cell lipo. With the Tower coupons you can get it for around 250. Another good option would be the RCGF engine (but not the RCG from HK).
May 06, 2016, 10:02 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by John_M_; Nov 02, 2016 at 05:45 PM.
May 06, 2016, 10:20 AM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipilot
The DLE 30 is a great option and you would not need a regulator for up to a 2-cell lipo. With the Tower coupons you can get it for around 250. Another good option would be the RCGF engine (but not the RCG from HK).
Interesting, Tower and DLE both state you need a regulator in the description.

I didn't see the RCGF from Valley View. Might be an option since they are in the US. Price seems nice.

I am not trying to avoid made in China so to speak, only avoiding buying from China for service and after sale care. It can be Chinese made, as long as it is a US based vendor.
May 06, 2016, 10:23 AM
Wherever you were looking that gave you the idea regulation was required on a DLE was out of date. The early ones may have, depending on the battery technology you are planning on using, but they all did back then.

Most all today run fine on up to 8.4v.
May 06, 2016, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_
OS GT33 2stroke Gas Engine, $379 at tower hobbies minus any coupon codes... their 4stroke Gas engines in the 30 - 40 cc's are a bit expensive... both their 2 & 4 strokes have a very good reputation.

Trying to ovoid made in china will be impossible... OS is made in china, but to their standards, QC is much higher than some of those cheaper china knock offs.

John M,
I have been an OS glow engine guy for most of my 30 years in the hobby.

With that said - have you seen the cost of replacement parts for the OS GT33? I can buy 5 DLE carbs for the price of 1 OS ...
May 06, 2016, 12:06 PM
I have several DLE engines and have been reasonably impressed, especially for the money.

Ignition wise, I like to run the tech aero ultra IBEC which draws power from the reciever buss, filters to protect from rc noise, has an optically isolated ignition kill, and has a voltage regulator with voltage selectable with jumpers.

OS seems to make very good engines. DA that I've seen seem to be excellent.

There have been a few evolution engines at our field, and I haven't been impressed.

A few folks fly rcgf. Seem to be easy starting and run well.

I also have a Syssa 30cc, which seems to be very high quality and runs well. I guess they are mainly focused on commercial production right now, though, and it can also be hard to reach anyone at the company.
May 06, 2016, 12:25 PM
For customer service, ease of operation and longevity you cant beat the DA 35. Also the most expensive but if you intend to fly the smaller gassers for while, well worth the expense IMO. No regulators required on just about any brand these days.
May 06, 2016, 12:45 PM
He who stalls....falls!
I fly an 82" scratch built stik with dle30.

Great combo, fun to fly.
May 06, 2016, 03:46 PM
That sounds neat. Some of the newer smaller displacement twins are pretty interesting, as far as less vibration.
May 06, 2016, 09:37 PM
Post your question on Flying Giants much larger group of gas fliers there
May 06, 2016, 09:44 PM

rcgf

I've had a rcgf 15 which was damaged in a crash, up til that point I liked it very much, I also have there 25 cc and 20 cc to which I can't complain, I also have a evo 10 and I agree it's got the power but it looks like a 60 2 stroke, and it is good engine but not impressive.
I have a 29 that I'll let go cheap pm me if your interested
May 08, 2016, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by John_M_; Nov 02, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
May 08, 2016, 08:31 PM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
....I also have a evo 10 and I agree it's got the power but it looks like a 60 2 stroke, ...
Maybe because it is one?
May 08, 2016, 10:01 PM
yes it was one, but it's a good engine, mine is slowly cleaning up less and less oil residue on the plane and it runs good and idles smooth, so i can't complain i thought it would have a different sound though it pulls the plane well

Quick Reply