Jul 09, 2019, 06:54 PM
I'd rather be flying!

Full-scale factory Waco on floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wengstrom
.......... I ended up with an extra set of floats and I also own a Dynam Waco and one day I was looking at that Waco and the floats and said...."Hmmmmm....that could work!!!" So I ended up getting the two together and BAM...I have a "Timber/Waco" combination.
I was able to salvage the back float mount from an old crashed Timber fuse I have lying around. (don't ask......) and had to remake that back wire mount to fit the Waco but that was the only alteration on the stock floats I had to do.

I'm still working out a few small kinks but I've had this red bird up off the water and while it's not quite the wild fun a Timber is to fly, these floats add another dimension to flying my Waco that I enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
....BTW, the WACO on floats is wicked cool!!!! I bet that's a real sight to see at the lake!!
Interestingly, Waco is now making a new model of the YMF-5 on amphib floats!

Flying the Float WACO (2 min 26 sec)

Waco's Crazy Fun Biplane on Floats (9 min 2 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 01:33 AM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Thanks for posting that Joel. Beautiful. I had no idea they were still in production.
Jul 10, 2019, 06:47 AM
LOL....these collages were my guide for the idea. The funny thing is there is info out there on sizing and fitting floats on RC planes, the stock Timber floats are almost a perfect match to the Waco based on this.
It really is fun switching the floats/gear on the Timber....I just wanted to expand my fun curve!!!
Jul 10, 2019, 12:23 PM
The Timber 1.5 was my first plane which I purchased in Jan 2019. I put about 8 hours of flight time with it in the RealFlight 8 HH edition, and then my friend buddy boxed me, but never really took over. I was hooked, and still enjoy flying the plane 6 months later. Its the plane I bust out when I am just kicking back and hanging out at the flying field. Its been a terrific 1st plane for me, and has built up my confidence to step up to the next level.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:10 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Yeah, the Timber is an excellent all-round RC plane!

Makes an excellent primary trainer, with SAFE turned off off it's great for learning rudder skills, it's ideal for learning slow-flight/STOL skills, it's also a great everyday sport-flier for intermediate & advanced pilots, and if you max out the throws it's also a surprisingly-good aerobatic trainer that can even do some basic 3D!

I've been building/flying RC for over 30 years. Everything from .40-size balsa trainers to 100+ MPH .60-size warbirds, 1/4-scale glow/gas, sailplanes, plus park-size foamies, UMX planes & indoor stuff. I've had my Timber since they first came out. Still love it! Maxed the aileron/elevator/rudder throws & I run the CG at the neutral-handling point.

Puts a big grin on my face every time I take her up for a romp with Bernoulli!

Joel
Jul 12, 2019, 05:12 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!

Haven't flown Big Timby...

... since March.

And then, DOH!

Timber Glenwood Spgs 07112019 (7 min 46 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 06:36 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
was that a slat that dropped off the wing on 'the bounce' at the end?
Jul 15, 2019, 06:55 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
finally got to do something that I've been wanting to do for about 20 years now... to fly a FPV flight at the lake I'd spent most of my younger years with my friends and cousins and my cousins friends and aunts & uncles about every other day of the summer for many-many-many summers (1965-1975) ... and got to do it again AND share the same beach with my g'kids in the process this time around... was an aaawesome time swimming, tubing, splashing around and of lots of story telling, many memories here and we added more to the lot

so on the last day of the 3 day camping trip, the weather was primo for the flight, winds were way down and no one had really arrived at the park yet... was about 9am and 90 deg out already, time to fly

I had a 150mW cam\vtx from a retired Blade Torrent available to try out and so I hot glued the vtx\cam bracket to a RunCam2 mount that I used to attach the ol RunCam2 up to ... I had glued some fairly strong earth magnets into the wing and added mags to the underside of the RunCam2 mount last summer ... the mount doesn't move ate all, the only time the cam didn't stay put was when I acquired the crack in the wing you see in the pic

no sound on FPV goggle view vid so I just added a track I happen to like to it... might wanna mute yours

this is the same flight coming from the RunCam2 I attached to the belly... this has prop\wind sound sooo.....

morning FPV with E-flite 1.5m Timber\RunCam2- 20190714 094658 (5 min 26 sec)

Sun Lakes FPV flight w\ generic soundtrack (5 min 26 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 10:07 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy
was that a slat that dropped off the wing on 'the bounce' at the end?
Yap when the plane hit the boulder it knock it off. Glued back on and ready to go!

Quote:
finally got to do something that I've been wanting to do for about 20 years now... to fly a FPV flight at the lake I'd spent most of my younger years with my friends and cousins and my cousins friends and aunts & uncles about every other day of the summer for many-many-many summers (1965-1975) ... and got to do it again AND share the same beach with my g'kids in the process this time around... was an aaawesome time swimming, tubing, splashing around and of lots of story telling, many memories here and we added more to the lot

so on the last day of the 3 day camping trip, the weather was primo for the flight, winds were way down and no one had really arrived at the park yet... was about 9am and 90 deg out already, time to fly

I had a 150mW cam\vtx from a retired Blade Torrent available to try out and so I hot glued the vtx\cam bracket to a RunCam2 mount that I used to attach the ol RunCam2 up to ... I had glued some fairly strong earth magnets into the wing and added mags to the underside of the RunCam2 mount last summer ... the mount doesn't move ate all, the only time the cam didn't stay put was when I acquired the crack in the wing you see in the pic

no sound on FPV goggle view vid so I just added a track I happen to like to it... might wanna mute yours

this is the same flight coming from the RunCam2 I attached to the belly... this has prop\wind sound sooo.....

https://youtu.be/HDUyFGDLM3U

https://youtu.be/-sovR-9lXXQ
Congratulations! To say that I love fpv flying is to be an understatement. Really nice videos!

B
Jul 15, 2019, 10:54 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Quote:

https://youtu.be/HDUyFGDLM3U

https://youtu.be/-sovR-9lXXQ
Nice work, flirting with those cliffs. I thought you were gonna land on the mesa for a bit there.
Jul 16, 2019, 04:16 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
finally got to do something that I've been wanting to do for about 20 years now... to fly a FPV flight at the lake I'd spent most of my younger years with my friends and cousins and my cousins friends and aunts & uncles about every other day of the summer for many-many-many summers (1965-1975) ... and got to do it again AND share the same beach with my g'kids in the process this time around... ...
Very nice! Thanks for sharing! I need to get back into FPV. Last time I did it was in 2002 - as a class project for my RF electronics students @ college. I was also a founding member of AUVSI.

We used a full-size camcorder with a homebrew gyro-stabilized 3-axis pan & tilt w/3-axis accelerometers, along with a GPS navigation system plus an actual pitot tube-based airspeed sensor & a pressure-based altimeter - mounted on an AirFoil Aviation 22-ft span powered para-foil.

We used a homebrew ham radio video transmitter for FPV, and a spread-spectrum RC control system with 15-mile range that was based on commercial wireless networking radios - piloted via a large-screen TV back at our RF lab, with real-time GPS, airspeed and altimeter data on-screen.

Was a cool project. Only time I ever had students begging me to stay after school & come in on weekends! We even made state news & our class got interviewed.

Anyway....I was on to doing other things after I quit teaching & went to Medtronic's MRI research division, and didn't get into FPV on a personal level.

Joel
Jul 16, 2019, 10:32 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
glad you were able to get the slat reattached without any major repair
I'm with ya on loving to fpv, I did a little with some micro quads over this last year or so but fixed wing fpv, that is a whole new world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob
Yap when the plane hit the boulder it knock it off. Glued back on and ready to go!

Congratulations! To say that I love fpv flying is to be an understatement. Really nice videos!

B

I was glad that the vid came out to where you can see that perspective, wanted to fly along that very ridge for a looong time, it was as cool as I'd hoped it would be
no kidding, if something were to go awry I'd be up there waiting to be rescued and it'd take a crazy long time to drive around to the end of that ridge to where one could drive up close enough to recover it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
Nice work, flirting with those cliffs. I thought you were gonna land on the mesa for a bit there.

I am surprised that with your background you haven't jumped back in the water just for fun of it!
you would totally dig it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Very nice! Thanks for sharing! I need to get back into FPV. Last time I did it was in 2002

We used a homebrew ham radio video transmitter for FPV, and a spread-spectrum RC control system ...

Anyway....I was on to doing other things after I quit teaching & went to Medtronic's MRI research division, and didn't get into FPV on a personal level.

Joel

-Mark
Jul 18, 2019, 01:29 AM
Hi Sporty Modeler,
Great solution for the timber landing gear. Iím wondering how you supported the anchor screws using the aluminum 1 piece into the foam. I am looking to beef up my gear on my Turbo Timber and wondered if you cut out the bottom foam piece and put in a piece of plywood in order to anchor your one piece aluminum landing gear. In other words how to avoid the foam fuse from being torn apart due to rougher landings. Iím using mine for a trainer. Thanks.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:05 AM
Philippians 4:13
Hey guys. Is there a thread that compares the Timber to the Maule?
Jul 18, 2019, 11:33 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
my guess is that there isn't one and the comparisons between the two would likely be found in this Timber thread and the Maule thread due to their similarities

Quick Reply