May 05, 2016, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
New Product

E-Flite Timber 1.5m BNF Basic/PNP

Hey all,

Here is the new plane from E-Flite, the Timber 1.5m.

We are going to have a bunch of them at Joe Nall next week.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/timber-bnf-basic-efl5250

Overview

Make the world your runway with the amazing Timber™ 1.5m BNF® Basic park flyer. It comes equipped with an unbeatable combination of features that let everyone from newer pilots to expert sticks enjoy a versatile, sport-flying experience unlike any other.

Sport Aerobatics, Off-Field Adventure, Float Plane Fun-It Does it All

If you've been looking for a great, all-around park flyer that's up for anything, and can be flown almost anywhere, this is it. Its innovative design combines the spirited performance of a sport plane with the versatility of a bush plane so you really can have it all.

Tundra-Style Landing Gear or EDO-Style Floats-Both are Included!

Thick grass, gravel paths, local ponds, dirt trails-you can fly off these and many other surfaces that would be impossible for most models this size to handle. The Tundra-style landing gear features functional shock absorbers and oversized tires that soak up the bumps of rough surfaces and provide excellent prop clearance when flying off grass. The included float set matches the trim scheme of the airplane and features dual rudders for superb steering control.

Whichever option you choose to fly with, both are easy to install and can be swapped out in minutes.

STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) Capabilities and an Abundance of Power

The Timber wing is designed with STOL features like wing-tip droops, optional leading edge slats and functional flaps. These, along with the model's powerful brushless motor and lightweight, Z-Foam™ construction, allow it to spring into the air or float down and land in as little as two feet or less.

Brilliant LED Light System

Out of the box, the model comes with realistic-looking nav lights, landing lights, wing-tip strobes and beacons, all installed and powered off the flight battery.

Durable Z-Foam™ Material with Hollow-Core Construction

Its lightweight, hollow-core construction is a big reason the Timber park flyer has such a wide range of capabilities. But don't let the light weight worry you. It's built using proven Z-Foam material that's tough enough to handle just about anything back-country flying can throw at it.

AS3X® Receiver with Optional SAFE® Select Technology

By changing up the binding sequence, newer RC pilots can activate SAFE technology features like self-leveling and angle limits that are built into the receiver. This will allow them to get a feel for the plane's impressive capabilities without feeling like they're in over their head, especially when flying in the wind. As with any SAFE system, they can assign a transmitter switch to turn the SAFE features on and off as needed.

Key Features

Sporty performance with amazing STOL capabilities
Functional slotted flaps and optional leading-edge slats
Shock-absorbing main landing gear with Tundra-style wheels
Realistic EDO-style floats with dual water rudders
LED navigation lights, landing lights, beacons and wing-tip strobes
Lightweight, hollow-core construction
Durable Z-Foam™ material
AS3X® receiver with optional SAFE® Select technology
Powerful brushless motor
Needed To Complete

Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® transmitter
3S LiPo battery with an EC3™ connector
LiPo charger

E-flite Timber BNF Basic and PNP with Floats (2 min 12 sec)

Pilots who don't want to activate SAFE® technology can bind the receiver normally and it will behave like a standard AS3X receiver. They can even fine-tune the receiver's AS3X settings if they have the free Spektrum programming interface and a compatible programming cable (both available separately).

Hope you all like it!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Last edited by Mattfly; May 05, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2016, 08:32 AM
Nice! Very interested in this one!
May 05, 2016, 08:38 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Nice! Wish it had a bit more color/contrast.
Last edited by GottaZoom; May 05, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
May 05, 2016, 08:39 AM
Damn ! Horizon keeps coming up with more stuff to put dents in my bank account.
May 05, 2016, 09:11 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Does this qualify as a cub? If so, didn't they just have sale on cubs to clear out their inventory of too many cubs? Or is this an attempt to compete with the Tundra's popularity?
May 05, 2016, 09:24 AM
AMA 34191
I like that the floats are included and the slats are removable.
May 05, 2016, 09:26 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl
Does this qualify as a cub? If so, didn't they just have sale on cubs to clear out their inventory of too many cubs? Or is this an attempt to compete with the Tundra's popularity?
This was conceived before the Tundra was announced, and was inspired more from the Fun Cub.
May 05, 2016, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
cmdl,

Not a cub at all. This is my own design as I am known at Horizon for putting flaps and big wheels on a lot of planes.

I put double slotted flaps and 8 inch wheels on a Hangar 9 1/4 scale cub.

I even converted an Apprentice years ago with giant flaps and converted to a taildragger with huge wheels.

It flew well, but this plane blows it away. The slats really allow for extreme slow flight and the ability to fly at a higher angle of attack without stalling.

This is my attempt at an high performance STOL plane. It is so much fun to fly and land tailwheel first dragging it in under power is amazing.

You actually have to be careful when taxiing to avoid the plane starting to fly again!

I think you guys will really like it.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
May 05, 2016, 09:37 AM
I think more and more people are finding out just how much fun it is to fly a good STOL set up.

Looks to me right now that the slats are meant to be glued on, maybe a way to install them with screws.
Just have to wait and see I guess.
May 05, 2016, 09:44 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
I've never seen a Tundra at my field, but almost everyone has a Multiplex fun cub. This reminds me a bit of that.
May 05, 2016, 10:04 AM
Closed Account
First the Spit now this. I'm going to be both broke and in big trouble. Oh well.
May 05, 2016, 10:11 AM
I know what you mean. Thing isn't even released yet and I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can fit this thing into my toy allowance.
May 05, 2016, 10:17 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Thanks, Dave, Matt. I don't know the differences between civilian planes, which is why I was hoping I get a layman's explanation of what looks like a cub and what doesn't. Your statement about scale differences is sufficient but further education is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig
I've never seen a Tundra at my field, but almost everyone has a Multiplex fun cub. This reminds me a bit of that.
I haven't seen the Tundra at all on my field but seen the Fun Cub twice. My field is more about Edges and Extras. But it is just one datapoint, so I was trying to gauge popularity off what I perceive on RCG (since RCG represents a larger sample).
May 05, 2016, 10:19 AM
JohnVHRC
The battery hatch on the bottom? That should be fun with wet floats in the way. Having to lay the plane upside down every time. Tundra FTW.
Latest blog entry: FMS Discount Codes! Click here!
May 05, 2016, 10:27 AM
DFS#000178
The funny thing about this is it is DEFINITELY an attempt to capitalize on the Tundra's popularity, which came into being as a result of the Sport Cub to capitalize on it's popularity.

I don't care. Horizon and HobbyKing can keep chasing eachother's tails as long as it means nice airplanes get put out!

And that's a very reasonable price. Especially with the LEDs. Now sell the Pawnee Brave with scale LEDs, flaps included and at this price range aid it might actually be a good deal.

Quick Reply