Aug 20, 2004, 07:23 AM
Thread OP

DIY Pilots

Having never been able to get the right scale of pilot for some of my planes, can anyone point me to where to start with learning how to make my own pilots? I always seem to need 1/14, and I'm surprised there are none out there (or so it seems?).

I believe there was an article in Flying Scale Models some time ago?

What I really want is some sort of 3d build-up technique using layers as I'm no artist, and the thought of carving something from a square block of foam (or balsa) is daunting to say the least!

I am waiting to complete my F-16's cockpit, and some sort of office would really be nice.

Here's a picture of my 1/12 scale F-14 Tomcat office with read-made pilots - fine if you can get the right scale...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2004, 08:49 AM
I think that it would be fairly easy to have a pilot designed by CAD that could be built up from laser cut (or hand cut for DIYers) sheets of balsa and sanded to shape. That would also allow the pilot to be scaled fairly easily. There are enough CAD geniouses here on RC Groups to make it happen, right? (Robb throws down gauntlet...) A nice free plan would be great!
Aug 20, 2004, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
You've given me the idea of taking a ready-made pilot, slicing him up, scanning him and making a .dxf of the slices. Then I can scale him to whatever I want before printing the slices out!
Watch this space...

Geoff.
Aug 20, 2004, 01:40 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting approach! Will you slice him horizontally or vertically? I should think horizontal slices would yield a more accurate model.
Aug 20, 2004, 02:46 PM
Kansas is windy.
I'll be watching this thread closely! Seems to me there's a market for these now that smaller electric scale models have come of age.
Aug 20, 2004, 08:53 PM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburress
I'll be watching this thread closely! Seems to me there's a market for these now that smaller electric scale models have come of age.
^
'
'
'
What Phil said, for lack of a better comment!

Glenn
Aug 21, 2004, 04:45 AM
Thread OP
I'm on holiday for a week, so I'll have a go when I get back.
The plan is to cut horizontally (this will be fun!)...

Geoff.
Aug 22, 2004, 04:52 PM
Here are a couple of pilots I made for my HVP Bristol Beaufighter and EAM foam SE-5a kits. Same as you guys, I couldn't find the scales I wanted. I sculpted the originals out of the polymer modeling clay you get at places like Michael's Crafts stores. One you're satisfied with the originals, you bake them in the oven which makes them rock solid, yet still carvable and drillable. I made molds with latex mold making material, also from Michael's crafts. I then made a half dozen copies of each using a two-part urethane foam I ordered from an online outfit. I originally had ideas of trying to sell them, but the labor involved vs. acceptable price just didn't seem to be realistic. I was happy with the way they turned out and it really wasn't all that difficult. The amount of detail the mold material will hold is pretty impressive.
Aug 23, 2004, 09:50 PM
Grizzled Member
Copterb,

Those pilots look really great, but my-gawd could we tuck that servo wire in somewhere so it's not in plain sight?? Just ribbin' ya a little... Very impressive, just like your Demoseille .

Jim
Sep 07, 2004, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
I have yet to start having a go at this technique. I'm not sure whether it will succeed though due to the accuracy required in cutting/assembling the pieces. However, I will have a go. First I need to find a pilot big enough to chop up...
Sep 20, 2004, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
I have decided not to follow this up for now as I have other more pressing building to do... I have "blacked out" the canopy on my F-16 for now... Perhaps, one day, someone will make 1/14 scale pilots!

Geoff.

Quick Reply