May 20, 2016, 03:36 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weyershausen
Thanks for this interesting thread, Jim.

A little modification in the wire direction helps a lot. I solder the cables pointing to the leading edge, like shown in the pictures below. This is saving space and mounting is very easy. I insulate the metal with a film of epoxy. Heat shrink tube is unneccessary, because there is no motion.

Gerald
Gerald,

Welcome to the thread. When I build my own harness I do as you suggested. Maybe the real change needed is from the harness manufacture instead of the plane.

Off topic: I lived in Winnweiler Germany for 8 years. I really miss that place.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Best,
Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 03:41 PM
dare to thermal
Another idea would be to use s-bus instead. Only 3 cables to connect the wing.

/Bernd
May 23, 2016, 12:56 AM
Fly R/C writer
I just got my Shadow Mk II, and the finish on the wing is outstanding!. Out of the box weight is 48.5 oz. and I plan on Spektrum A4030 servos on aileron, elevator and rudder, and A5060 on the flaps.....same as my Xplorer X3. This going to be a winner again!

Mike Lee
Fly R/C Magazine
May 23, 2016, 09:25 AM
Gasbags & Gussets

Good !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
I just got my Shadow Mk II, and the finish on the wing is outstanding!. Out of the box weight is 48.5 oz. and I plan on Spektrum A4030 servos on aileron, elevator and rudder, and A5060 on the flaps.....same as my Xplorer X3. This going to be a winner again!

Mike Lee
Fly R/C Magazine
This is great Mike, sounds like a great contrast and compare subject also.....
John s.
May 24, 2016, 09:03 PM
Closed Account

A flight report?

A flight report would be pretty cool too? Compare and contrast would be a special bonus.

S.
May 25, 2016, 05:15 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=91

NAN SHADOW F5J (5 min 50 sec)

May 25, 2016, 05:31 AM
dare to thermal
Not 5 but 3 ;-)
May 25, 2016, 06:51 AM
Thermal Wrangler
[email protected]#!
May 25, 2016, 07:29 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
How nice !!!

Thought I was assisting Jim's nice thread, but I now feel like polluting the noble community of 3Js.

I'm sorry for my mistake and for the pirating.

Sincerely repentant.

May 25, 2016, 09:48 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio
How nice !!!

Thought I was assisting Jim's nice thread, but I now feel like polluting the noble community of 3Js.

Sincerely repentant.

It's all one big happy NAN family.
May 25, 2016, 06:50 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio
How nice !!!

Sincerely repentant.

All good - I have a F5J Xplorer but it does not really fly like TD Xplorers - Similar but not the same.
May 25, 2016, 08:31 PM
Question: what is the dimensions of the flaps on the Shadow? thx

Randy
May 26, 2016, 12:15 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
That's 660X70mm (60 on tips).

On F5J!
May 30, 2016, 07:34 PM
Fly R/C writer
Hi y'all,

Where Jim F. left off, we pick up. Jim's Shadow found itself in the hands of Bob and Alex, who ended up at the Inland Soaring Society club field, in Riverside, Ca. After assembly and checking out the programming of the radio, it was time for the inevitable...that first flight!

Ed Stewart had the honors of throwing for that first flight, with a near perfect launch. Bob said the plane felt good, but maybe we need more than once opinion. We will address that request after this first flight to make sure we don't miss anything. They ( our audience which gathered around) were curious as to how good the Shadow will handle. Some of the pilots were just slobbering all over , waiting for a chance to try this new-comer to the party. What they found out about the Shadow was that this model handles quick despite what some pilots may have thought. Having owned several of the original Shadow models, I had a good idea of what to expect during flight, as well as during the equipment installation. First, some comments.

Nice

The finish of the surface is absolutely a nominee for best in class. The wings look and feel superb, meaning someone really spent time polishing the molds. The workmanship is apparent and widespread with great hardware items. The pushrods are installed with the guide tube well adhered to the fuselage. This is a different material than what I have seen before, but it appears to be lightweight and easy to glue to the sides of the fuselage.

The fuselage is different with a close looking cousin to the Xplorer 3, and is completely done in CF meaning you need a receiver that has the antenna that can be poking through the skin for best reception. My choices of equipment was the Rx= AR9310 by Spektrum radio. 2 each of the A5060 servos and 4 of the Spektrum A4030 for all other locations. Power is provided by 2 Lithium Ion cells rated at 1600-mAH capacity and placed just ahead of the receiver position All servos are high voltage, and so no power regulator or for a small ESC with a BEC needed.

The moment of truth came when Bob Breau stepped on the winch pedal and launched the reborn Shadow, now known as the Shadow II. With only the CG adjusted, Bob got a good straight launch with good altitude from the zoom. The photos to follow were taken from the one flight Bob performed. I have a few shots of the first landing, but it is so anti-climatic, that it is embarrassing! 90 degree flaps will get you airbrakes that stops the plane in flight.

Overall, the Shadow is quite easy to fly, being responsive and sensitive to thermal activity. I started flying the original Shadow back in 2006 and loved it. It took me to forward in competition, well enough to gain a spot on the F3J Junior team as the manager and going to Turkey. I mentioned in a written column that I felt the Shadow could be the sailplane for the masses. Jim showed you the details of the assembly. And the price is right!! I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Shadow and so I had to get this new version. Mine weighs 59oz, which is a far cry from the original at 76oz. Losing that much weight makes a lot of difference and in this case, it is for the better.
May 30, 2016, 07:40 PM
Fly R/C writer
Who knows what evil thermal lurks in the air?

The Shadow knows!

Quick Reply