May 12, 2016, 12:17 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Here's the last of the photos. This was another fun and easy plane to build. The quality of the fit and finish is every bit as good as the X3s. Hard to believe the price is as low as it is. Don't tell Bob I said that or he'll raise the price.

IMHO this has to be one of the best values for a competitive fully molded sailplane.

Best,
Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2016, 06:44 PM
Maarten
Great build!
How does it perform compared to an Explorer?

I own a X-perience pro and consider it a great performer in windy conditions.
Does anyone know if Nan gave the X-perience pro a similar face lift as the shadow?

Maarten
Latest blog entry: CR Climmax pro
May 13, 2016, 08:23 AM
dare to thermal
Buy a new shadow fuse with tail group and use the old xperience wing.
btw wingcenter are identical for the two models.

/Bernd
May 13, 2016, 10:04 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
Nice build. Jim!

Concise but comprehensive.

What do you use to keep the fin in place? Have you glued it permanently ?

May 13, 2016, 06:03 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio
Nice build. Jim!

Concise but comprehensive.

What do you use to keep the fin in place? Have you glued it permanently ?

This build was for someone else so I didn't glue the vertical on. If it were mine I'd just use tape on each side of the stab. It seems to work for holding the tips on.

Thanks,
Jim
May 13, 2016, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr1234
Great build!
How does it perform compared to an Explorer?

I own a X-perience pro and consider it a great performer in windy conditions.
Does anyone know if Nan gave the X-perience pro a similar face lift as the shadow?

Maarten
The X-Pro also has the same new fuse, tails, and layup.

The new Shadow and Xperience Pro have the same layup as the X3. This means that they are much lighter, and stronger than the previous versions.

I will get some stick time in on the new Shadow with in the next week or two. I will post some feedback.
May 13, 2016, 07:58 PM
Fly R/C writer
Hi Alex,

We would love to have you come over to the ISS field for them first flights. Should be a great sailplane.

Mike Lee
May 13, 2016, 09:57 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
I've had a couple of people ask about the charge lead that I made for the 2 cell pack that charges from the balancing plug. Here you go:

I used heavy duty servo wire for the balance wiring for the battery and charge leads.

The black wire goes to - along with the black main battery wire.
The white wire goes to the + - connection between the two cells.
The red wire goes to the + along with the red main battery wire.

Wire the balance lead for the charger the same way. Black, White, Red. Then, solder the main red and black charging wires to the red and black balance leads and you're all set.

Jim
May 13, 2016, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
Hi Alex,

We would love to have you come over to the ISS field for them first flights. Should be a great sailplane.

Mike Lee
Hey Mike!

That's the plan! I'll have you fly it as well to get your input. Actually, we will be out there testing something new tomorrow morning. Very excited!!
May 14, 2016, 01:38 AM
Fly R/C writer
Oh yeah, baby! We get to see a new bird fly!

My prediction: the original Shadow was a wonderful bird to fly, thermalinng almost automatically from the launch. Very honest and easy to fly. I imagine that if Jim has put together the typical airplane in his build, the new, lighter weight Shadow will be awesome!

While my current signature contest plane is the X-3, I have always loved the Shadow. Guess I best open the wallet!

Mike Lee
Fly R/C Writer
May 14, 2016, 07:46 AM
Nice build Jim. Model looks great and the updates give this model super value.
May 14, 2016, 04:41 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux
Hey Mike!

That's the plan! I'll have you fly it as well to get your input. Actually, we will be out there testing something new tomorrow morning. Very excited!!

We all want to see photos of the exciting new stuff!!!!

Jim
May 14, 2016, 04:52 PM
Jim, so there is no locking mechanism for the rudder like the X2.5 and X3?

Randy
May 14, 2016, 05:11 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757
Jim, so there is no locking mechanism for the rudder like the X2.5 and X3?

Randy
Correct. It's like the perfection stab except the post is part of the stab instead of the fuse.

Jim
May 20, 2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks for this interesting thread, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
As with all center panels, I wish the manufactures would mount the DB-9 connector flush with the bottom of the wing and recess the connector in the fuse.
A little modification in the wire direction helps a lot. I solder the cables pointing to the leading edge, like shown in the pictures below. This is saving space and mounting is very easy. I insulate the metal with a film of epoxy. Heat shrink tube is unneccessary, because there is no motion.

Gerald

Quick Reply