building "The Sweet Dream" kit from StevensAero - RC Groups
May 02, 2016, 11:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Build Log

building "The Sweet Dream" kit from StevensAero

Well I finally got one of these kits that I wanted to build for a long time. I started working on it this last weekend and today I almost got it finished. It is a well designed kit and the build manual is well done. I decided to make it the civilian version as there is tow other versions of it and the parts for it are provided too. I watched the movie Man and their Magnificent flying machines as there is a real one in the movie too. I also did some research and then i figured I will do my own interpretation of it.
Here's some pictures of where I am with it tonight. I am working on the wheels and using a CF rod for a axle. Tomorrow I will attempt to cover it, should be easy as it only need to be covered on the top part only.
After that will come to the final part of the build with the detail work to be done. Hope to have it finished so I can get onto another build I meaning to get out of the way.
I have enjoyed building StevensAero kits in the pass and they all flew really well. They are designed to be built with ease and a joy to fly.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2016, 11:43 AM
Looks like a quick start! The Stevens kits are such fun to build. They almost build themselves
May 04, 2016, 11:21 AM
I really enjoyed building both variants of the Sweet Dreams and they continue to fly very well after dozens of flights.

I built both in one week - bit of a rush job and didn't have time to take pictures along the way. My flying buddy built a nice orange and green one in the same week - this thread may be of interest if you haven't found it already:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post28716371

I look forward to seeing your progress.
May 05, 2016, 01:32 AM
Crazy Canuck
Well just got the wings all covered , used CR rods for the control rods and you will see how i used the motor wind green wire to connect the control rod to the control horn. Same wire I used for the "Suspension on the landing gear strut. Later today will install the wings and then start the detailing of the plane with the flying/landing/other wiring. Instead of doing it with actual thin wire I'll use relly thin CF rods as this would be better than wire for rigidity. Then she ready for it's first flight.
May 06, 2016, 12:25 AM
Crazy Canuck
Well it's 01:00hrs and I have finished the StevensAero Sweet Dream model. I will say it was a fun job building it, Not difficult at all anyone who like balsa wood builds or starting to get into it will have a good time with this. Just make sure you line everything up carefully and always test fit and look it over to make sure it's all correct according to the instructions.. Doing the rigging wasn't difficult I did one side first all with one long thread. then the other wing looked it over to make sure no wraps in the wing (as this is only decorative not actually used for wing load) then once it was good I glued the thread down at the points. She came in fully loaded E-flite 150 mAh battery and ready to fly at 1.47oz. which is spot on to the manual. Could make it lighter with using less paint and detail of course, but then she would not look pretty.
So now she settled in on the test flight shelve waiting for a nice prefect sunny day to go out and spread her wings and fly around .
May 06, 2016, 12:43 AM
Turned out great! I dig the on the tail. Try and get a video for us
May 06, 2016, 03:39 PM
Funky stuff, but none the less great job.

Pete
May 06, 2016, 09:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Gene says he "like my UG LEE" plane too LOL
I will start another build, I want to try and do a EDF UM Radian next, Gene like that idea. So I will go to that site later to do a build blog there.
I can't wait to maiden this plane but nee to just wait it out for the "Perfect weather" no wind, sunny skies, smooth runway,and grassy places to land it just in case.
Thanks for the nice comments and will get back here on a report when I get her flying