This thread is privately moderated by jmxp69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 02, 2016, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

X-UAV Mini Talon Build

I recently finished a My Twin Dream build which is going through shakedown flights now. With its crazy battery capacity and flight time, the MTD is my distance/sight seeing plane. I've been interested in the Mini Talon for a while now and when I found it on Banggood for $54 shipped I couldn't pass it up. The following is my build log for the Mini Talon.

I'm just getting started. The parts below are in-hand or ordered. I'll post pics as I progress through the build.

Configuration
3D Printed parts: CUFLYN's Vector/GPS/RX mounts, Mark's skids, and a pitot tube mount not shown.

I think I got a little spoiled with the MTD. It's quite a bit larger inside than the Mini-Talon. Still managing to get everything stuff inside, but it's a snug fit.

The FPV pod seems a little over engineered to me. I did away with the mid-deck and trimmed the side supports quite a bit. I'm not planning on running an HD recorder on this plane at the moment. I set this up for a flight camera on pan and tilt.

I secured the FPV pod like the fuse cover. Blind nuts on scrap plywood, glued to the fuse under the front deck.

Still stuck waiting for USB cable before I can mount the Vector and still tidying up wires.

Roughed-in the VTX. I'll be adding a heatsink, making a path for the wiring to the Vector and adding some double sided tape to the bottom when I'm ready for final placement. I used a heated brass tube to bore a hole from the VTX to the antenna location on the wing. I enlarged that with a carbon fiber tube until the hole was big enough to slide the coax connector from the wing location to the VTX. So the antenna wire is neatly tucked into the wing.

Here's a look from the bottom. I went a little too far once while boring the hole so I have a nick on the opposite side of the antenna. I'll patch that with some foam-tac foam finish.

Heatsink added to VTX.

I'm not a fan of slotted/glue only control horns for FPV planes. Great for park flyers but not when I have it loaded up with all the spendy FPV equipment. So I upgraded. 2-52 threaded rod, screw-on clevises with silicon tube, and control horns secured with glue and screws on the horns and backplates.

Almost done. Need USB extension for Vector, then can tidy up wiring and glue fuse halves together.

Electronics finally done.

Landing skid glued on. I used Foam Tac for most of the surface area with a few drops of hot glue to hold it in place while the Foam Tac firmed up. One of my favorite tricks for slower drying glue.

Used a zip tie to make a wire guide for the pan and tilt. The heat shrink is shrunk only on the ends so the center area remains flexible.

Ready to maiden. I'm working on a 3d mount for the pitot tube and something to tidy up the UHF RX antenna, but it's ready to fly.

Got the 3D pitot tube mount and installed.

All done.
Last edited by jmxp69; May 20, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2016, 01:18 AM
Awesome, I'm building the same thing, also with vector and DL v3.
May 05, 2016, 03:48 AM
Thread OP
Good luck with your build. I'm excited to get going on this little plane. It looks to be a solid performer. The Banggood deal was so good I just ordered another one as a spare.
May 13, 2016, 06:05 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Cool build....
what CCD camera are you using?

Looks great!
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
May 13, 2016, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
It's a Runcam from Amazon.

Thanks for the nice words
May 14, 2016, 01:42 AM
Thread OP
Maiden went well. Will be continuing with test and tune in upcoming flights.
TestFlight - Mini Talon Build Review and Maiden Flight (10 min 2 sec)
May 15, 2016, 05:06 AM
Where could I get the STL files for those printed parts?
May 15, 2016, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Skids are right here: http://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?t...from_FPV_Model

For the Vector mount and GPS/TX mount, you'll have to contact CUFLYN here on RCG. I don't believe he posts them, but he is willing to share them. I don't remember where I found the thumb hotspots but I didn't use them on the MT anyway.
Last edited by jmxp69; May 15, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
May 15, 2016, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
I maidened and flew the first two flights with a 9x6 APCe prop. While the plane flew ok with that prop, I'm going to try a 10x5 next time to get a little more thrust for takeoff. Hand launching with the 9x6 the tail sags and the plane sinks a little before gaining enough speed to climb out. I'm hoping the 10x5 increases thrust enough to avoid those two characteristics.
Jun 07, 2016, 08:29 PM
Nice build. I have also the same setup (DL + Vector) and I'm interesting by how you use the pan tilt ? Pan/Tilt cables output from the Rx on channels 1 + 2 ? Could you give some details about that because I'm using PPM and try to map channel 9 on rx channel output port 1 and channel 10 on rx channel output port 2. In my Taranis, I try to mal channel 9 for pan but no react, I can't control a servo

thanks for your help
Jun 07, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakFPV
Nice build. I have also the same setup (DL + Vector) and I'm interesting by how you use the pan tilt ? Pan/Tilt cables output from the Rx on channels 1 + 2 ? Could you give some details about that because I'm using PPM and try to map channel 9 on rx channel output port 1 and channel 10 on rx channel output port 2. In my Taranis, I try to mal channel 9 for pan but no react, I can't control a servo

thanks for your help
Finally just for my problem, I forget to change 1-8 to 1-12 in external mode in my Taranis
Jul 13, 2016, 05:22 PM
Great build log. I am thinking of building mine soon...

Do you reckon the motor you use here would be suitable for 3s?
Did you paint your tail fins black? If so what did you prime with? If not.... where did you get them from?

Cheers

Holo
Jul 17, 2016, 11:11 AM
great build jmxp69,

by the way, i will be using 1.3Ghz system for FPV and 433Mhz for controlling, should i get Low pass filter? And is it necessary to get the Air Speed Sensor as well?

I'm a newbie when it comes to long range (first build) so any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Long
Feb 09, 2017, 11:39 AM
@jmxp69 excellent work in your MT.
You have the files of your wood stand? I really love them.
With these stands are easy to build a MT.
Feb 26, 2017, 09:02 AM
What is the name of the split clear plastic that you have on your run cam and servo wires from your pan and tilt

Quick Reply