Hacker Hot Wing testing and mod thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 01, 2016, 12:46 PM
Lee Liddle
Discussion

Hacker Hot Wing testing and mod thread

I've just ordered a couple of the new Hot Wing, Tower has them for $30.99. It's a 1m EPP basic wing design. They have 2 smaller sizes (750mm and 600mm I think). There will also be two other color options with different vertical fin designs coming out soon.

My main use will be to set it up for streamer combat, but it looks like a good size for fpv or just sport flying or soaring.

I'll post some info about what I do with mine. If you have one, or get one, feel free to post pictures, video or general information about yours here also.
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 05, 2016 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Correction.......EPP
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2016, 04:36 PM
When pigs fly rc
Just ordered one as well
May 01, 2016, 06:25 PM
Lee Liddle
Looks like a solid deal for $30.
May 01, 2016, 07:44 PM
When pigs fly rc
I'm going for a night flyer with it!
Lots of leds.
May 04, 2016, 10:15 PM
When pigs fly rc
Will most likely try it without the sfg' s on the wing and then with it to see if I notice a difference!
May 04, 2016, 11:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Still waiting on mine. Should be a fun weekend project. I expect it to be here by Friday at the latest.
May 04, 2016, 11:13 PM
Lee Liddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
Will most likely try it without the sfg' s on the wing and then with it to see if I notice a difference!
I would not think there would be much difference. They may help to lower the stall speed. They just look like good streamer grabbers to me.
May 05, 2016, 01:10 AM
FPV EVERYTHING!
These wings are great for slope combat too.
May 24, 2016, 09:06 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
The only thing more shocking than me grabbing a few of these and planning to put LEDs on is rcrich putting lights on one.
May 24, 2016, 10:27 PM
I have one on the way as well, what are the recomended Motor and battery?
May 25, 2016, 10:48 PM
When pigs fly rc
I got a motor and ESC from headsuprc but I went on the mild side because this is my night flyer.
It's not a slug but it's no speed demon. I'm running a 1300 mah 3 cell and a firepower 300 sport 1200 kV and 20 amp ESC with a APC 7x5 prop and a bunch of leds
Jun 17, 2016, 11:39 PM
Northwestern U.S.
Where did everybody go? Just came here looking to see what some others have for motors and after May 25th it's just crickets.

I just bought one from Tower after my $70 Zorro kit was apparently swiped off my porch after it was delivered. Couldn't justify spending another $70 so I went for the Hotwing. The motor I ordered for the Zorro, which is very similar in size, was a Cobra C-2213/18 1350KV. Prop is 8x4 as I recall.

I have several DJI 2312 960KV motors that I bet would work. Might have to up the prop a bit. Time to experiment.

By the way, I've actually been a member of RCG for quite awhile. Just had to change my name and email thanks to another member who went wacky and started harassing me. Most people are pretty good but once in a while...
Jul 08, 2016, 01:33 AM
Northwestern U.S.
Just finished the build tonight. Great little wing.

I got the Hotwing because I was a little disappointed with the Zorro. It's a nice little wing as well but at $67 shipped, on sale, it's over double what two Hotwing's cost shipped. The design of the Zorro makes it a little more acrobatic but that wasn't enough for me. In my opinion the Hotwing is a much better value for a tough, small, lightweight wing.

Motor: Cobra 2213/18 1350KV
Prop: MAS 8x4 S2 (Scimitar)
ESC: Hobbywing Skywalker 20A
Servos: Corona 939MG
Battery: Zippy 2200mah 3S

The instructions that come with the kit are good. The only real changes I made were to use standard .047 rod with DuBro Quick Connects. The quick-connects in the kit are problematic. They use permanent metal retainers that are really hard to install. One flipped out of the pliers never to be seen again. The second one folded in half. The third one (from the second kit) bent the post from the pressure so I gave up at that point and purchased the DuBro's with plastic retainers. Went on no problems. The push rods are short enough that just the rod with carbon reinforcement works fine. Even at that, a small carbon or CF hollow rod can be slipped over the .047 if desired to stiffen it up.

The 8x4 prop hits the elevons when they move up or down. I trimmed off about 3/16" to 1/4" of the foam on each side and it clears fine.

When installing the winglets on the wing tips, I used a couple sewing pins to hold them in place while the contact-based glue dried. The instructions show using thin CA to join the wing halves. I used Foam Tac just because it fills the gaps in the foam better and makes a super strong still slightly flexible bond.

To achieve correct balance I added a couple Motion Pro wheel weights in front of the battery. Otherwise the balance point was about 5mm to 8mm rearward, which probably wouldn't have been enough to detrimentally affect the flight characteristics. However, I've learned that CG on wings can be critical so I wanted to start with the CG as close to the factory specs of 160mm back from the nose as possible. A 4S 2200mah might have balanced it, but for me 3S is plenty for this build.

The instructions show installing the ESC in the premade cutout and making a new cutout between that one and the battery for the receiver. I chose to mount the ESC near the motor and use the premade cutout for the receiver after elongating it for room for the servo wiring. Installing the ESC in the premade cutout would move the CG forward slightly.

To cut the battery slot I used a Weller soldering gun with bent wire to melt the foam. The Weller is pretty weak compared to an old Radio Shack soldering gun I have but it did work, just very slowly. Cutting the foam made weak spots at the corners of the new battery tray so I added some carbon rod just for good measure.

For $32 shipped I think the Hotwing is a great deal. Honestly I'm surprised more people aren't buying it and talking more about it. Looking forward to flying it and building the other one. Maybe with a little EDF.
Last edited by XionUAV; Jul 10, 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 02:25 PM
Out the Window
I got two of the Hacker Hotwings Evo 1000 when they were on sale at Tower. I was going to buy one, but there was a $8 discount on the larger order. They were shipped for free, so I got two for $53.98 to my door!

I have not started on the build, but the quality of the foam etc. looks good.

Glad to see a thread for this wing here on RC Groups.

Ray
Jul 08, 2016, 02:48 PM
Northwestern U.S.
Nice to see someone else is here. This thread has been dead quiet for too long.

I'm waiting to maiden mine until tomorrow when my wife and I visit our family farm in Idaho. Hope the weather's decent.

I think it's a great little wing and you got a great deal. Good luck!