Apr 30, 2016, 06:54 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Upair One 4K Review and Owners thread - 2 axis gimbal, 7" screen 5.8ghz FPV Banggood

UPair One Promotional shots (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Promotional shots (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Promotional shots (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Formally know as the UPair Chase which was on paper and promo videos, an impressive setup for the money. 2k and 4K options with 2 axis stabilized gimbal and go pro compatible to boot. Plug and play 5.8ghz experience with a 7" screen, GPS hold, RTH and promises of 19 minutes flight time. Full setup with 4K camera comes in at under 300 inc postage.

UPair-Chase 5.8G FPV 1080P 12MP HD Camera RC Quadcopter -banggood.com (3 min 52 sec)

A nice promo vid but it seems the only copy around is squished to 4:3
UP Air UPair-Chase 5.8G FPV 1080P 12MP HD Camera With 2-Axis Gimbal RC Quadcopter-banggood.com (2 min 57 sec)

Unfortunately there were a few small issues that turned out to cripple it but the major one was no connectors used in the interface between quad and gimbal, just soldered wires. I received one just before Xmas but gimbal was damaged in transit and although it flew, there was no fpv or recorded video or power to the gimbal or camera at all and it didn't seem every finessed or stable even with balanced blades. It's also worth pointing out there were, and still are, some happy owners of the Chase so I waited on a promised upgrade part until we finally heard on the grapevine that UPair has been bought out.

Now UPair is owned by GTEN Drone and have presumably finished what the previous owners got so close to, but failed to deliver. It's got some seriously firm competition now though as the P3 was reduced since the first release of this along with obedient GPS drones like the hornet, zero becoming more affordable and common. None have the gimbal and screen for this price or don't have a removable camera though so there's still wiggle room to find a place if it performs as well as the videos above and GPS does what it is told, consistently. FC was an APM based board and I believe it still is but there's still no access to the onboard usb if that is still there in this version. The concern here was how to do GPS calibration but apparently that is done automatically along with setting home point on power up.

I'm sure it will be less than Daz white in no time.

Available at Banggood
http://www.banggood.com/UPair-UP-Air...-p-995265.html

This linked in page lists the GTEN ownership but the webpage link for upair.net does not work. The included manual is very clear and English is well phrased and written too, i'd still like a website though, support email, downloadable manual etc.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/she...k=company_logo

A facebook page too it seems but the Chinese upair page they link still doesn't work either
https://www.facebook.com/Gten-Drone-1670312319895475/

UPair-One-specs by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upon opening the box I was greeted with the monitor screen sticking out of it's housing which looked pretty bad but pushed back in to place easily and the frame clipped back togther without issue. I turned it on the identical looking transmitter and immediately realized that the switch did not have a central off position with the two options of fpv gear on or off. Now Off is further right as you hold the TX and screen on is furthest left. The manual still says it is the former so perhaps this switch was wired up incorrectly. The screen is not as bright as the first version I have but it's certainly not lacking in brightness and has a matt finish but no sun shade to speak of.

This is when I found there was no picture, even when cycling the channels available on the little button behind the rubber bung on the back of the transmitter. The gimbal hover works and looks like it's doing a great job and even the transmitter's scroll wheel control is working great. It's sprung so it's time and distance based rather than absolute position in relation to the wheel and has no problem pointing straight down or slightly up. Smooth movements do seem possible

I turned on my little DYS 160 V3 and immediately got a picture on the screen that showed me the TX was fine so then I looked at that gimbal to quad interface. The quad side has a ribbon cable and connector seated flush inside the roof of the battery compartment but separating the two plates held together by the black anti vibration bobbins showed me a connector sitting a couple mm away from where it should be. I used a pair of tweezers either side of the wires to push it into place and on powering up the quad I was greeted with a bright, colourful, widescreen picture with OSD.

Now I could see wiring with no doubt, I took the other one apart and soldered it identically, there were 6 wires broken. It still didn't power up the gimbal or kick out an fpv signal though. So disheartened, I stole it's tx lipo, flight lipo and nice carry bag to put it all in and condemned it to the box until I need to pilfer its skids of something. We still have red leds on the front though. I don't understand why anyone would do this, cars have red light son the back, everywhere. That's the first thing getting swapped round.

As usual, unboxing video with tunes for those who prefer to sit back and enjoy, rather than scroll through the pictures below. I've lowered the picture quality a good chunk to try and allow faster browsing, most pictures are under 300KB but much below this they tend to suffer.

Upair One Unboxing - 4k, 2 Axis Gimbal, 7" screen, 5.8ghz FPV (4 min 37 sec)

Musicality -
Opposite of a Hedgehog (poiinthepark version)

UPair One Box (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Box (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Box (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Box (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Box (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Box (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One bashed in transit (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (7) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (8) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (9) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (10) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (11) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (12) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (13) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (14) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (15) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (16) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (17) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (18) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (19) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UP One microrcfiend (20) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr
Last edited by microrcfiend; Apr 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2016, 06:55 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
UPair One LEDS (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One LEDS (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One LEDS (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One LEDS (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One LEDS (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One LEDS (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One motors (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One motors (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One Transmitter

Upair One transmitter (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (7) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One transmitter (8) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

4K Firefly Camera

The camera is capable of 4K 25fps but will only do 60fps at HD 1920x1080. I have the 2K version already and it performs very well indeed with it's only small weakness being it's not the fastest to deal with being pointed at the sun. Not terrible, but much slower than a decent board cam. This 4K version also has and internal gimbal on the lens as offers a second level of image stability and an option to de-fish eye the video I can not find on the 2K verison. Firmware is listed as December 2015 so pretty recent there. Batteries are go pro compatible and you can even fit and control a go pro in the Upair One gimbal .

The play store has a firefly app that allows you to control the camera recording and stopping from your phone with wifi link. It works flawlessly and allows to you stream the clips back, delete them if need be or even download them to the phone for safe keeping. The 2K ones gives me around 45 minutes of recording on a 1600mah lipo so i'd expect the 4K to be slightly less although they are go pro battery compatible and you don't even need a lipo in if it's connected to gimbal as it provided power and data flow through the USB port. It's probably a bad idea to have the wifi feature turned on when flying the UPair one in GPS modes though.
Firefly 4K (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (6) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (7) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (8) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Firefly 4K (9) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Props and Extras

9450 props, left and right handed threaded props. DJI compatible.
These are opaque as opposed to the original Chase translucent plastic props and do not have the pointed tip either, very similar to the DJI props for the P3

UPair One 9045 props (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One 9045 props (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One 9045 props (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

UPair One 9045 props (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One charger and psu (1) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One charger and psu (2) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One charger and psu (3) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One charger and psu (4) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Upair One charger and psu (5) by micro RC fiend, on Flickr

Maiden as soon as the UK weather allows.
Last edited by microrcfiend; May 01, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Apr 30, 2016, 06:56 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP

Maiden Flight

This last week has been furiously intermittent with storms and hail, bits of snow and sporadic bouts of delightful sunshine and summery days. Catching those little glimmers of paradise has been tough os the UPair One got it's first taste of air on a very testing day.

UPair One 4K - Maiden Flight - first impressions in heavy wind (21 min 25 sec)

It did pretty well considering the tame P3 style power system and the fierce gusty wind. Landing it manually seems sketchy at best though and unless upright and stable, disarming seems very slow to react. I need more attempts to learn how it wants to be put down manually but even in these conditions the RTH induced auto landing managed to twice do what it was supposed to. Pulling down on the elevator in attitude mode resulted in the quad dragging it's skids and flipping. Pulling down on the elevator gentle has little effect once low down. How best to land it if I am to strong or weak on the throttle? I certainly do not want to rely on RTH landing every time and rarely have a perfectly flat surface to fly from. I've seen people catching phantoms out of a hover while the pilot disarms the quad to avoid this so maybe it's not just the Upair One?

The dampening balls/grommets on the gimbal plates are way too soft and/or not under enough tension and create the horizontal wobbles seen in the sample video.
Lastly, the Firefly stopped recording twice with stacks of spare space on the card and the second time, the display continued to show the recording icon for a good while after. There were some small partial files around 1-3 seconds in length intermittently captured. It did however capture a full chunk after these and a power cycle.

The screen was tough to use in daylight and was darker than I would like. There's settings on the camera to brighten it up but the recorded video is fine, just the display that needs a brightness adjust and possibly a sunshade..
I'm fairly confident I will be able to extract some silky smooth video from this setup but less confident I will learn to land it without looking like it's drunk or feeling like it's fighting me to stay up.
Last edited by microrcfiend; May 03, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Apr 30, 2016, 06:57 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Although the sun is fully out it's still only about 5.45am, perfect to get some alone time, a flat spot and some landing practice. I have a new DVR wired into my Quanum goggles for recording flights that unlike the easycap device, doesn't fill the recording with noise. It seems to be working a treat which is good because I can't seem to keep the firefly cam recording once the quad is airborne. 3 full lipos hovering in my front room trying different combinations of powering on the camera, inserting it and powering on the quad and it does seem to be only once in the air, I cannot reproduce it with motors spinning and props off even, I have to actually fly it for the camera to drop out. Usually just creates strings of short videos form 1-5 seconds with some larger chunks thrown in to tease. SD card is ruled out too, same with 4 cards that are issue free in other devices for months and continue to be. Rarely do the photo and video buttons work but occasionally they surprise me and work.

I still have a couple things to try but will follow this up in the review link below and most likely a video if I have a workaround or solution. I do know I am not the only person with this issue although it does not seem to be very common either.

On a lighter note, adding some cable ties to tension those super flexible gimbal dampeners seems to have cleared up 99% of any horizontal wobbles I was getting in the maiden video. If I can get a cam working consistently on here I am quite excited about the possibilities.

UPair One 4K - Learning to Land (cable ties FTW and cam issues) (16 min 12 sec)

Next visit to the heli field I tried the 2K camera but also some more tests at home.
EXAMPLE FOR UPAIR
The 5.8ghz feed seems stable if the gimbal cam is recording but when the the firefly decided to do it's segmented recording, even the 5.8ghz feed stutters. Firefly set to 1920 x 1080

* Both 2k and 4k camera record a full memory card when not fitted to the gimbal.
*3 memory cards perform the same and all work in a 60fps HD Runcam2, SJ4000 and Mobius.
*2K records with less gap between the clips - maybe this is data flow problem through the quad?
*Recording from the gimbal with props removed and motors spinning up on the ground allows full memory card with no glitches.
*Hovering inside shows the fault only, never on the ground and always withing 10 minutes, usually within 2-5 minutes.
*Often recording buttons on the transmitter do not work but not always, internal connections are solid.

UPair One - 2K Firefly segmented video error example (6 min 29 sec)
Last edited by microrcfiend; May 13, 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Apr 30, 2016, 06:57 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
reserved 3
Apr 30, 2016, 06:58 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
reserved 4
May 03, 2016, 08:15 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Maiden flight and some terrible landings in the bag, details on post 2
May 04, 2016, 11:29 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Some early morning flying added to post 3, cable ties sorted the gimbal wobble but the camera won't stay recording for a full flight and often not even 5 minutes.
May 08, 2016, 11:35 AM

Product reliability?

Hello, I stumbled upon this product but I have read many reviews saying that there are many defects and malfunctions with this product. Some were a few months ago but do you have any progress reports on the drone and what is going on?
May 09, 2016, 08:24 AM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28serata
Hello, I stumbled upon this product but I have read many reviews saying that there are many defects and malfunctions with this product. Some were a few months ago but do you have any progress reports on the drone and what is going on?
Did you watch the videos? Read the review? It's ALL included.
I tried to be as clear as humanly possible with photos and video and video titles.

The 4k camera works flawlessly out of the gimbal but recording from there is intermittent, sometimes 10 minutes, often only 1-3 second clips that when played back miss chunks between the recordings - as shown in the videos and explained with subtitles.

I tried the 2k camera and got much the same results I still have to upload but having computer issues I need to sort before I can render stuff out. I found at least one other guy who has the same fault although his video looks very smooth unlike my stock dampeners. I have asked them to post examples here so we can gather data and attempt to get this fixed as it's obviously a software issues in my eyes.

The odd thing is, I can fill up an entire 32gb memory card with the motors spinning slowly, props off on the ground. Hovering in my front room produces this fault, every lipo and often when it happens, it will not stop giving me a folder of scores and scores of video clips.

I have tried 3 different memory cards that all work for HD video 60fps in my Runcam2 and as I stated before, perform perfectly with the Upair 4K cam when not mounted in the gimbal.

I do not know anyone with a gopro compatible to try in here but curious if the issues remains with that also.

EDIT - 2K camera tested, same issues. Video added
Last edited by microrcfiend; May 13, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
May 23, 2016, 08:48 PM
As a UPAir One/Chase owner as of April 23, 2016 I would not recommend this product. The quadcopter flies excellent, and the Firefly 4K is excellent, however I have flown 30 plus flights and haven't been able to produce a single video that last more than 1 minute consecutively. I usually end up with 40 to 200 mini videos ranging from 1 to 40 seconds. Here is my channel dedicated to UPAir issues: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR6...obnvKGhaGTOmMA
May 25, 2016, 10:39 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
I am apparently waiting for Upair to contact me to try and resolve this frustrating issue.
Jun 09, 2016, 11:39 AM
www.freedrone.gr
A friend bought this one - the 4K version - although I was strongly advising against it as I feared that this is simply a re-branded UpAir Chase with the same problems. As it turned out, I was right.

The quadcopter is somewhat controllable on AltHold mode - although the reported altitude is way off the scale (reported 34M height when grounded and sometimes even negative height values are displayed on the OSD) and totally uncontrollable on PosHold mode. This is typical for ALL APM-based FC's running ArduCopter 3.2.1 (judging from the UpAir Chase, I also believe this is using exactly the same components as indicated from the M/B revision), as the ATmega 2560 CPU is overloaded by the ArduCopter 3.2.1 code when using PosHold. The fact that this quadcopter does not even provide a USB port to use in order to change FC parameters is unacceptable as this "autobalance" advertised feature is nowhere to be found.

The same thing also applies to the advertised 'app' that is supposed to allow customization of flight parameters. I could not find it anywhere.

Regarding the 4K camera, I could not even do a simple recording, only viewing on the OSD.

In comparison, I fly my XK Detect X380 on the same spot using the UpAir One 9450 blades and even with stronger wind, it performed just fine.

I've advised my friend to contact Banggood and request to return it for a full refund.
IMHO for $400 this is total junk. Good luck getting support from GTEN company (same non-existing support like UpAir Chase).

Here is the flight test video:
Quick Test: UpAir One vs XK Detect X380 - Avoid Buying the UpAir One! (5 min 27 sec)
Jun 12, 2016, 10:04 PM
Registered Fiend
Thread OP
Thanks for posting your findings Frontier, it seems there is much variance in this model.
I have to say it does not fly well in the wind but it's hard to tell much from that video as it was never taken above the prop wash, swirling winds round that rooftop and you had some massive gusts too. The XK is obviously more stable in the wind but that was taken up away into clean air straight away. I'm not challenging you here or refuting what you're saying, just stating what I see.

Believe me, I am not defending UPair either, in fact I'm really disappointed there has been no reply and there's no website or live contacts to speak to, just an empty facebook account.
I also really really dig XK stuff too and own 5 models which get flown regularly so zero negative to say about them apart from they removed rate mode from their best quad yet which sucks.

Where is an 'app' mentioned you speak of?
Jun 17, 2016, 03:44 PM

Card formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend
I am apparently waiting for Upair to contact me to try and resolve this frustrating issue.
Have you guys tried different formatting of your cards, such as FAT32 or NTFS? Also have you tried recording in less intensive data formats, such as 1080p 30fps to see if the problem still persists?

In case you're wondering, I use FAT32 8 GB Class 10 card, recording at 1080p 30fps. The reason I use 1080p 30 fps is that it is about the max resolution that I'd care to send to YouTube without spending days to upload.

Quick Reply