Apr 29, 2016, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Vq fw 190 .60

I picked up a built FW 190, it is complete with servo's and retracts, minus the petrol motor that was fitted, it was never flown, it feels a nice solid plane all fully sheet'ed, I will put an electric motor in it, and add-cut in a battery hatch,

Like some other VQ birds the canopy is a little off scale by being to low on the fuselage, so I messed around in MS paint to see what could be done, with a little work it can be made to look more scale

So I have started on the canopy by cutting-raising the bottom and also building up the fuselage to suit the new line, I had in my junk box a gun cover from a wrecked FMS FW 190 that I was given a while back, so after taking a look at the gun cover it seem's to be the about the right length and can be used on the model for more scale though it's to narrow, so I split it and will glass it to make it 1 piece, this will be my battery hatch cover, more to follow

Mike
Last edited by limodune; Apr 30, 2016 at 03:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2016, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
Made some more progress and finished off the fuselage and covered it in vinyl where needed, later on I will paint this area

The hatch cover-gun blister was fiber glassed together and the center gap filled and sanded so that is now completed, I also added a couple of thin lexen panels between the hatch and the cowling to exaggerate the panel line between the two, next I have to fiber glass 2 holes in the lower cowl where it has been cut for a petrol motor, then I can install the motor and esc and see where the battery has to go to achieve the C of G

I am going to fit a 50 50 propdrive 580 KV motor 80 amp esc and use 5s 5000mah batteries and a 15 8 3 blade prop, I will be looking for around 1300wts

Mike
Last edited by limodune; May 02, 2016 at 03:51 PM.
May 03, 2016, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
I have painted the supplied pilot and given the cockpit a little detail by filling the back in, adding a hatch and seat back and paint, the console will get a little more detail then I can attach the canopy

Mike
Last edited by limodune; May 03, 2016 at 06:47 PM.
May 03, 2016, 07:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
Looking good
May 04, 2016, 06:29 PM
D.G.B.
I electrified a Lions Model arf Fw 190a.Mine has a 54" w.s..I too use 5s.But kinda old school(have to remove wing to change battery) Flys more like a pattern plane.Motor is a Rim Fir 42-60-600kv.Master Air Screw 12x8 3blade prop.Fixed gear because still leaning to fly planes with landing gear in the wing
Latest blog entry: Scorpion hotliner
May 05, 2016, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
The console is done, found a nice dash to down load and print out, next I have to remove the quarter panel in the canopy and replace it with a new shape panel

Mike
May 05, 2016, 07:21 PM
Nice work , Why can't VQ get the canopies correct?
May 06, 2016, 10:20 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
limodune-

I zoomed in and took a close look at your progress. Most impressive. Very nice work on the cockpit detail. I'm following along...

Ric
May 06, 2016, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys

Yes most of the canopies are off on there war birds, this is No 3 for me and No 4 (ME 109) I have started to tinker with, they spend some time with panel lines and weathering and fully sheet'ed plane but miss the canopy--go figure

Mike
May 06, 2016, 09:01 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Awesome work, Mike! Looks much better than the original.
FW-190s and Corsairs are my favorite warbirds.
Ronaldo
May 07, 2016, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ronaldo
Some work involved but you get a good result for the effort

The Canopy is all done now with the new quarter panel's installed and only need's to be attached, I was going to screw it on but then though I might make a sliding canopy, so for now I will attach it with double sided tape when I get some, I will do this after I get a couple of flight's on the plane

Next is to install the motor a 50 50 prop drive 580 KV and the ESC , when that is in I can see where the battery has to be located to obtain the C of G, then I can cut an opening to suit

Mike
May 07, 2016, 10:07 PM
That is sure a nice looking FW . Good attention to the details. I am far from ready for a low wing fighter. Good pics keep em coming.
May 09, 2016, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, getting there slowly

I have prepared the cowling to fill the holes up left by the petrol engine (this is a petrol to E conversion ) the outside and inside cardboard gives the needed shape, and I have wrapped a piece if thin lexen on the out side of the cowl to act as a mould, I will put some release agent onto the lexen before glassing it up, once that part is done I can then glass up the front of the cowl, this is going to be a bit more involved due to is shape

Mike
May 11, 2016, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
Got the cowling glassed up and test fitted it on the fuselage, all good, glassing the front up and making it look pretty is going to be a task, I have ordered a 3 blade prop and spinner for this, will see how it works out scale wise

Mike
Last edited by limodune; May 11, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
May 15, 2016, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
The cowling is now complete but went a different route to repair it, I made a new front ring for it, this way I repair the cowl and also reset the front thrust line which was out, this in the end was straight forward and no headache, just had to find a mold the right shape to make it from

I found a nice 'Thing' in the cupboard the right shape though I had to line it with tape which would serve as a mold, added gell coat then a thin layer of glass, cut the front of the cowl off with a new thrust line, trimmed and fitted the new front ring to suit, tapped it up then glassed it on the inside, now that's out of the way I can start to fit the motor board and motor

Mike

Quick Reply