Apr 29, 2016, 10:32 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Build Log

50+ Build Off - 80" Live Wire Trainer

With flying season in full swing and regular maintenance absorbing much of my shop time, I decided I needed to pick a simple subject for the 50+ Build-Off. I have had alot of Kadets over the years and always enjoyed how they flew. I built a micro vesion of Hal Debolt's Live Wire Trainer this last winter and had a blast shooting touch-n-goes with it. So the idea is to scale up the Live Wire Trainer to a similar size (80" span), and simplify the construction a bit so I can build it as quickly as possible.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2016, 10:36 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Construction started with the stab. It is a flat framed assembly 3/8" thick. It will be covered with translucent fabric so I wanted the structure to be aesthetically pleasing. I thought this would be a good place to try out the layered criss-cross style construction I've seen on a couple other builds. This made for a very rigid stab. At 3/8" thick, I am a little concerned the tips may bend upward or flutter during flight. A set of tail bracing wires may be in order. But we will travel down that road when we get there.
Apr 30, 2016, 06:25 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
My 2 meter top dawg needed brace wires,flutter almost killed it first time out.Stab looks about the same size as your's and is also 3/8" thick.
Apr 30, 2016, 10:16 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
I've used this type of tail construction on dozens of models over the years in thicknesses down to 1/8 " and never had a problem with bending or flutter. It is most important though to be sure that the diagonals are glued where the cross.
Jul 04, 2016, 08:37 AM
Culper Junior
How is it going?
Jul 05, 2016, 09:18 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
How is it going?
Between a lowsy start to the flying season that had me making many quick repairs/rebuilds and on-going scale projects, I have not had much time to look at the Livewire. With that said, I guess it is time to keep this one moving along. So with the holiday yesterday, I cleared the bench and started tackling the fuselage.
Fuselage side frames are made for the cabin area with the main longerons extending back. These sides were joined to the mid section formers over the top view. The longerons were pulled together at the aft end and the remaining rear formers added. The top stringers were added to help stabilize the assembly.
Moving the the nose, some windex and a couple clamps were used to bend the forward fuse side together and add the front two formers. Here is where I had to stop and let everything dry out.
Jul 05, 2016, 09:22 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
FT - glad to see you're getting this one started....

best regards,

jeff
Jul 05, 2016, 09:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Starting to take shape now FT.
Jul 05, 2016, 01:08 PM
Culper Junior
Harold will be puffing on his pipe watching this one.
Jul 05, 2016, 09:05 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
I finished off the aft end by gluing in the 1/8" balsa stab saddles. Then closed off the back edge and bottom with scrap balsa.
Moving back up front, I glued in the 1/4" lite ply landing gear plate.
Jul 05, 2016, 09:07 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Just for fun I pumped up the Trexler wheels I have for the Livewire and set them by the fuse. For a quick size comparison, I set my indoor micro version on top
Jul 18, 2016, 10:17 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Motor.

The motor was mounted using 6-32 bolts and blind nuts.

Main gear.

The 1/4" ply landing gear plate was glued in. I bent the main gear from some 1/8" 6061 aluminum purchased from McMaster-Carr. They are mounted to the plate using (6) 6-32 machine screws and blind nuts. A pair of 8-32 machine screws were used for axles to mount the Trexler wheels.
Jul 18, 2016, 10:33 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Tail skid.

I decided that I didn't need the help of a fixed tail skid to turn taxiing into a comedy routine, so I am fitting the Livewire with a steerable skid. 1/4" balsa and basswood sticks were used to frame out an area for the tail skid mount. An 1/8" lite ply plate was cut to fit. I used an old DuBro tail gear bracket for a 90 size plane. Way overkill, but I had it on the shelf. It is mounted to the plate with some 4-40 hardware. This plate was then screwed to the fuse and a piece of 3/32" wire bent into a skid added to the assembly. This will get a steering arm inside the fuse as soon as I know where the pushrods will run.
And then for the first time, the Live Wire was turned over to sit on its gear.
Jul 18, 2016, 10:34 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Fin was framed up with 1/4" balsa sticks. Then sanded smooth.
Jul 20, 2016, 08:45 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
With the fin complete, I went back to the horizontal tail and completed the elevator. Then everything was sanded and the hinge slots cut.
Moving to the fuse, I added two 3/8"x2" balsa stabilizer mounts. I centered the stab on the fuse and drilled the mounts for the two mounting bolts. I set two 1/4-20 blind nuts into the top side of the mounting blocks.
With the fuse turned over, I cut a hole in the top spine for the fin post. I trimmed the fin post to fit tight against the stab mounts, clamped it in place perpendicular to the stab, and glued all the joints.

Quick Reply