Apr 28, 2016, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Pica PT-19 Build

Hello all,

So now that the little stick has been finished and flown successfully it was decided it is time to build a new plane.

I'm also using this as an excuse to test out my new indoor build table. I love building bigger planes and building in general but it's hard to build my bigger stuff in the house so rather than spend heaps of time in the shed building and probably ending in a divorce my wife said I could have a build table inside

I plan to use it for smaller parts and perhaps wing halves before they need joining but this time around it's getting a small plane built on it haha.

Anyway as of last night I got the PT-19 out of the shed. I've had it for a while and I thought it was high time I built it.

The plan is to either power it with a little wasp .061 or perhaps an OS 10la that I have. I'm not sure yet.

Last night I got some of the parts out that needed laminating together and done that. Tonight I plan to start putting the fuse together so stay tuned
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2016, 04:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Cool project! I'll be following your build.

Have fun,
Tony
May 01, 2016, 01:51 AM
Thread OP
Ok so only a small update. I need to cover the horizontal stab before I can go any further. It's used to lock the tail in place.

This kit is sooo easy to build. Everything just interlocks together. If I could just sit there and build rather than having to do life stuff I reckon you could build this thing in a day :-D
May 19, 2016, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Hello.

Been a few delays and the like but I managed a bit of time to cover the tail and glue some bits and pieces together.

Such an easy build but there'll be another short delay because I need to get some mid size servos for it but bills take precedence at the moment

I also have to decide what engine to use. I was going to use a little AP .061 but the plans also show an OS 10LA which I have as well. Having not used the AP I'm leaning towards the 10 but I'm not sure.
Jun 04, 2016, 11:49 AM
Team Fearless
Any build updates?
Jun 05, 2016, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
Sorry mate, no updates at this stage. Money has been pretty tight for the last little while. I hope to get some servos soon.
Aug 13, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Wow has it been 3 years already

Sorry for the delay on this one. Other than I couldn't afford the servos all thoise years ago I have no idea why I stopped on this one.

Anyway it must have been probably a few months after my last post that I got the servos but just never did anything with them.

Soooo fast forward to now and i've started to work on it again. Let's get this little beast done

Servos are in, Pushrods are in, bottom of the fuse buttoned up, horizontal and vertical stabs are in and the AP .061 is mounted on it's engine mount.

Next up this week is to connect up the rudder pushrod (elevator is done) and mount the engine. Once that's done i'll have to do the throttle pushrod.

Stay tuned folks and I promise it won't be another 3 years before the next uypdate because that build bench is itching for a new 1/2a build
Aug 13, 2019, 08:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Glad to see you back on it and I'll be following your progress. I love the PT-19!
Aug 18, 2019, 11:58 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Looks fun NOI. Had the 1/12 Pica Corsair that I really enjoyed building and she flew very nice till the accident......
Aug 18, 2019, 02:00 PM
A man with too many toys
I always like the PT-19.
I wish small kits were still available.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Not much has happened in the last few days. Been a little busy.

I do however have the rudder pushrod sorted and I went to mount the engine to the fuse but I realised I didn't have any captive nuts small enough.

I'm thinking of using screws to attach it to the firewall (which is pretty thick for such a small plane) what do you guys think. I've used screws before on other small engines so i'm thinking the little .061 should be fine.
Aug 22, 2019, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Alrighty then. I've sorted the engine out and I've made the throttle pushrod.

I need to install a fuel tank now. Should I use a 2 or 4 ounce tank? I'd like say 5 minutes of flying with enough for a go around. What do you think?

Oh and I started to install the plastic top. What a pain that thing is haha. Still some trimming to go but it doesn't look to bad.
Aug 22, 2019, 10:18 AM
Nitro User
I guess this was a E plane? Perhaps you can line the cowl with fiberglass
to help keep it from cracking?
Aug 22, 2019, 12:43 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Are you still using the AP.061? Or the OS .10LA ? Either way I would "through bolt" instead of screws if possible and a 2 oz should do 5 minutes with a varied throttle either engine. I think.....
Aug 22, 2019, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2A Nut
I guess this was a E plane? Perhaps you can line the cowl with fiberglass
to help keep it from cracking?
Nope. This was designed for an IC engine. I might have to but we'll see. The cowl is pretty sturdy. The fuse topper is thin but seems ok.

Quick Reply