Jun 14, 2018, 07:53 PM
James
Ric - nice picture - which boat is it modeled after?

James
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2018, 08:42 PM

America One

This boat was designed by me and was licensed by the America One Team. It was the first production RC spinnaker boat with a fully gybable chute and extremely quick set/douse. One of the first RC boats(about 1994) with a squaretop main with adjustable upper outhaul.
65" LOA(+bowsprit). Tremendous fun to race-especially with downwind gybing duals!

Last edited by DLord; Jun 14, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Jun 15, 2018, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesceejr
Ric - nice picture - which boat is it modeled after?

James
Since Peterson designed America3 and Black Magic that took the cup back to NZ I would think that is the boat....but it may be he designed a yacht from scratch for the 1:12 series.

UPDATE The Doug Peterson FB page says: "A somewhat scaled version of an America3 IACC type."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-...p-Hall-of-Fame
Last edited by Ric in RVA; Jun 15, 2018 at 12:40 PM.
Jun 15, 2018, 10:21 PM
James
Ric - very nice - I'm always impressed with people with this kind of talent

speaking of talent - Dlord - please more information on your boat - more pictures please
also how you rigged your boat up - love to see more detail thumb up.

James
Jun 16, 2018, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Ric - very nice - I'm always impressed with people with this kind of talent

speaking of talent - Dlord - please more information on your boat - more pictures please
also how you rigged your boat up - love to see more detail thumb up.

James
==========================
Thanks! The set/douse winch was a RMG 380 and the spinnaker pole moving was accomplished with a normal servo which made gybing very fast and allowed someone with practice to repeatedly gybe w/o collapsing the spinnaker. The sail would set or douse in 2-3 seconds.

Here is a sketch of the basic system:

----
This is two different spinnaker boats-America One on the left and the Spinnaker 50 on the right:

--------------------
This is an old video and, among other boats it shows America One with a symmetrical spin and the Melges 24RC proto with an asymmetrical spin and automatically retracting bowpole :
Advanced RC Designs by Doug Lord (1 min 7 sec)
Last edited by DLord; Jun 16, 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Jun 18, 2018, 08:08 PM
James
DLord - I see the logo on the side of the boat "Team micro Sail" what is the story with that?
You have any side views of the boat - video is great.

thanks
James
Jun 18, 2018, 08:13 PM

microSAIL!

microSAIL! was my company and the company boats were Team microSAIL! Unfortunately, I couldn't keep the company going even though there was plenty of interest. I'm not sure which boat you wanted a side view of--I may have one of the Melges 24RC.
This is as close as it gets. It shows the Trapeze Power Ballast System:

Another boat with the ballast system:

Last edited by DLord; Jun 18, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Jun 18, 2018, 08:28 PM
James
Lord I was looking at the red American One boat - any profile pictures?
Jun 19, 2018, 07:37 AM

America One

See post 32.....
Jun 19, 2018, 07:09 PM
Hays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsarey
I have the 6m he gave me(#23) , a 12m (#95) I found a few years ago and the first boat he converted to rc from pond sailer( built by HIS father) .
The 6m and old boat were originally reed gear ( transmit a tone / resonant reed in the receiver made the contact . 6m still has the wooden mast and boom. Enjoy the price list.
Thanks, Jsarey! Could you share a photo of the 6m's radio board setup today? I am hoping to get the parts so that I could build a new one next time I am visiting my father.

-Hays
Jun 19, 2018, 10:56 PM
James
Omita - I might be able to help you - the 6 meter is about the same size as the ec12 so...........
Go to the site - ec12.org
click on: Resources
Click on: Construction Help
Click on: EC12.info
go to : Building the EC12
you want systems board.
they give you everything on how to build a board for the boat

The site has a lot of great building idea's and it would work on your 6 Meter.

post your progress -

good luck
James
Jun 21, 2018, 05:31 PM
Hays
Here are some present day (2018), photos of my fathers 6m. My father, Larry Clark, purchased this boat when he was attending Rollins College in Florida. He sailed that boat with his good friend Al Short, who also purchased a 6m from John Reynolds. The boat then traveled to Massachusetts where it did some sailing near Woods Hole. In the 1980's the boat traveled to Washington D.C., where I did some work on it in my youth. It is now located near Annapolis MD, where it sits on display. It could sail again with a new radio board and a little TLC. The hull and decks are all original, but the mast, rigging, and sails were redone in the late 90's. (I'll post these on the Reynolds thread as well.)

6 Meter Sloop
Model #8
June 8, 1964
Last edited by Omita; Jun 21, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
Jun 21, 2018, 05:46 PM
Hays
Quote:
post your progress -
Thank you James! I hopefully will figure out a way to restore my dad's boat. I think I have enough information to get something started this summer. Unfortunately, there's 2,821 mi between the boat and myself. I'm hoping I can put together most of the electronics with the measurements I have and then bring them to MD the next time I visit. I am currently building two T37's with my daughters, but your comment reminds me that I should post some of our progress photos.

Thanks again for the heads-up about the 12m, I'll definitely check out those resources!

-Hays
Jun 21, 2018, 06:22 PM
James
Omita - great story and love the pictures - just classic -

yes, please post on the Reynolds site - we need all the boat pictures along with the restoring of the boat.

the ec12.org site should give you everything you need. We are all here to help each other.

Tippecanoe boats are nice - I look at their site all the time - they have u tube videos of building these boats
you can follow along with them as you build your own boat.

nice

James
Jun 21, 2018, 08:03 PM
Hays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Cooley
I have been searching high and low for wooden masts, booms and fittings for the two Reynolds boats I have.
Exact replacements are practically non-existent. Quite a while back I talked to Ron Carr about new sails. So that is doable.
You might want to check out these guys:

For fittings:

- A. J. Fisher - http://www.ajfisher.com/
These guys made the fitting that matched the original hardware a 1960's 6m. You might need to call them to get a paper catalog for the original bronze parts. The website does not show a lot of the stuff they used to carry.

ModelYachtFittings - http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/
Might be an alternative if A.J. Fisher doesn't pan out.

For sails:

- In the 90's we just mailed our old sails to a sailmaker. Likely today, most sailmakers should be able to hunt down the measurements for a 6m.

For masts:

- For the 6m you could likely just build a new wood mast with a router. Our replacement mast was just two pieces of wood epoxied together and then varnished. The most important part is that the sails bolt rope can fit. Hopefully, others might have an alternative but I expect shipping to be a pain.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Omita; Jun 21, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply