Apr 27, 2016, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Large Scale RC Sailboats

Hello
I have recently acquired a couple of rather large sailboats.
Would anyone be able to provide any info about them.
One is 8' long with a metal tag inside that has the following information : Model #22 ; Class 6 Meter ; Reynolds Mfg. Co.;
1223-1227 28th St. Orlando, Fl. 32805. Fiberglass hull and deck.
The second one is 6' long with a label that states :
"This Sailboat was built for Mr. Reynolds. Fiberglass hull with a planked mahogany deck
I've searched for this "Reynolds Mfg. Co." and cannot find any info.
From what I can find. They appear to be "Pond Boats" and or in the
the "J-class". They seem to be equipped with "antique" control systems.
I.E. Lots of switches.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Last edited by Lamar Cooley; Apr 27, 2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added photos
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2016, 07:49 PM
Boomer1
It would be helpful to post some photos.
Boomer
Apr 27, 2016, 09:32 PM
I have seen something similar at a boatyard I used to race out of on occasion, very cool. I have a carbon fiber AC hull and fins back Detroit I haven't done anything with yet, don't even know where to start. Interested to see how it goes for ya, are you planning on a refit with modern controls?
Apr 27, 2016, 10:13 PM
Thread OP

Re-Fit

Yes, That's the plan.
I will eventually give both of them a complete makeover.
Got a Tippecanoe T37 on one of the build tables and a couple of jets on the other 2. I'll begin refitting as soon as I clear a table or two.
Will have to replace all the rigging, polish a lot of brass fittings, replace all sails, complete control makeover and some hull and deck repairs here and there.
Already formulating a game plan.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:28 PM
John - In my private capacity
The boats look great.

They both have very small rudders - typical of vane or Braine free sailing boats where the rudder was basically a trim to keep the boat sailing to a constant angle to the wind.

To make them more maneuverable as RC boats, you may want to modify the steering by removing the rudder and skeg and install a larger 'balanced' rudder (rudder post about 10 to 15% aft from the leading edge).

They may both be 6 Meter class boats. Here is a link for the modern 6 Meter class in the UK.

http://mya-uk.co.uk/knowledge_base_category/6m/

John
Last edited by hiljoball; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
Apr 28, 2016, 08:43 AM
W Kuhns
Absolutly beautiful. I can only wish... happy building and sailing.
Apr 28, 2016, 11:36 AM
The planked deck model looks like Kiltie, a 6 meter design by John Black done in the mid 1940's. Was published in popular mechanics and I believe Reynolds made a fiberglass mold of this design. However this model would only measure at 65 inches.

The other hull looks like the John Lewis A class design called Kubernetes. Reynolds made a mold for this yacht but it measured at 86.75 inches.

Whatever they are they sure are gorgeous !
May 08, 2018, 08:27 PM

Reynolds 6m

Likely speaking to the void, John Reynolds made the boats in Orlando in the 60's & 70's. I have a 6m and 12 m and much background . I'll monitor on occasion to see if there's any interest. ..
May 08, 2018, 09:50 PM
Jsarey ...

Considering your forum post above ....
It is most recent update after 2 yrs for this forum thread being quiet ... Unlikely to expect updates anytime soon

I too would like to hear updates - and - Any added photos
May 31, 2018, 04:33 PM
Hays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsarey
Likely speaking to the void, John Reynolds made the boats in Orlando in the 60's & 70's. I have a 6m and 12 m and much background. I'll monitor on occasion to see if there's any interest. ..
Jsarey,
I am actually SUPER interested in these boats and what you know. My father purchased a build boat from John Reynolds in 1967 or 1968 and at the time he would race them. He always tells me about how these boats would make a radio sound and the boat would listen for certain sound frequencies which would be picked up by crystals(?) inside the boat to turn left, right, etc. At the time he had his HAM radio license, which gave him the advantage because often when one boat turned left, the entire fleet would turn left, but not his boat. He also described the original winch as a 'pill bottle'. Unfortunately, I never saw the original electronics.

In the late 90's I tried to restore the boat. I cleaned up a lot of the fittings and we got a new mast, and sails. Long story short, I got the boat running, although my radio board was pretty poor and sadly the expensive winch I purchased shorted on the 2nd sail. Then I was in college and the boat just sits on display now. Unfortunately, the boat is on the east coast, Maryland, and I live on the west coast. So I have to request photo's from my siblings.

I would really love to learn more about the 6m and 12m from that time period. My father believes that the boat is a 12m; however, ours has a skeg rudder and that seems to break the one-design nature of the EC-12m. I would also love to see any photo's or even video's you might have. I am hoping to get it running again and it would be amazing to find a 2nd boat. They are huge.

Cheers,
Hays
Last edited by Omita; May 31, 2018 at 04:39 PM.
May 31, 2018, 08:52 PM
James

Reynolds Manufacturing Co. boats

Lamar - See if I can help out a bit.
I see that the address is different
I have 3010 Chris Lane, Orlando, Florida 32806
This is the brochure I have dated 1974 so, Mr. John Reynolds must have moved at some point.
So in the brochure - I will start with the 6 meter
LOA 65"
LWL 42"
Beam 11.75"
Draft 9.5"
Disp. 26 1/2 LBS
Sail Area 1115 Sq In.
Basic kit: $129.95
Complete Model: $400.00 to $650.00

The other boat sounds like Kubernetes
LOA 86.75"
LWL 60"
Beam 15.5"
Draft 13.1"
Disp. 79.36 LBs
Sail Area 1475 Sq, In.
Basic kit $185.95
Assembled Model less r/c $400.00
with R/C $700.00

You have two beautiful boats - I hope you restore them
I hope you continue to post and tell us your progress on the boats.

As for me - I have the Reynolds #133 EC12 boat that I am currently restoring
My father and I built the boat back in 1974 and it has survived even through the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

I wonder if Mr. Ron Carr would have additional information on Mr. John Reynolds?
I asked the people back in EC12 land - Joe Walter and he was going to ask Tom Phillips, however I did not receive a reply.

Thanks
James
Jun 02, 2018, 03:09 PM
Hays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesceejr
Lamar - See if I can help out a bit.
This is the brochure I have dated 1974 so, Mr. John Reynolds must have moved at some point.
Would you mind scanning the brochure or shooting a photo with a cell phone and sharing the image? Just to preserve a little bit of RC history?

-Hays
Jun 03, 2018, 05:29 PM
James
Hays

Send me an e-mail and I will forward what I have. It's about 8 pages with the listing of the boats he was offering.
Here is my e-mail address: [email protected]

James
Jun 03, 2018, 06:01 PM
I couldn't see what was posted , so here's a couple of pages. I'll assemble 'em like they were printed and repost later . And some other stuff.
John Reynolds lived at 3010 in Orlando until he died.
I have the 6m he gave me(#23) , a 12m (#95) I found a few years ago and the first boat he converted to rc from pond sailer( built by HIS father) .
The 6m and old boat were originally reed gear ( transmit a tone / resonant reed in the receiver made the contact . 6m still has the wooden mast and boom. Enjoy the price list.
Last edited by Jsarey; Jun 03, 2018 at 10:26 PM.
Jun 03, 2018, 06:04 PM
JR used to sell a bunch of rc Snipes . Anybody ever seen one? ( Only $32.50...)

Quick Reply