Mar 03, 2019, 05:06 PM
I spent some time last night covering the bottom surface of the wing. I scanned the covering with cutouts for the nacelles to make a full size template for the other side. Figured I'd share.

Printing the PDF out on 8.5x11 should yield a 100% scale template. My scanner bed wasn't large enough to scan the entire width of covering, so note the 1" and 5" marks from forward edge of covering material.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2019, 03:00 PM
Connie makes the news!

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/twa-p...at-jfk-airport

I wonder if that's the one that was a lounge at Greenwood Lake forever.

Andy
Mar 25, 2019, 09:58 AM
I haven't ever flown on a Connie, but I wish I had. I'm not sure when they stopped flying those but I do remember flying on a DC-6 overseas, as a kid in the early 60's.
Yeah I know...I'm dating myself.
Mar 25, 2019, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
but I do remember flying on a DC-6 overseas, as a kid in the early 60's.
i do know the feeling BD...
in the early 70's, equally young, I was on one of the last flights of a DAT DC6 out of Antwerp/Belgium.
being a small airport, the pilot could take a few liberties and he did a full throttle low pass over the runway (at least it felt like full throttle )

the DC6 is not nearly as pretty as a connie, but those were the days...

sorry for the off-topic comment..

Frank
Mar 25, 2019, 01:07 PM
killickb
That Greenwood Lake model has quite a history doesn't it. Hate to see what looks like a "could be made flyable" Connie go this way but surely better than the chop shop !

I flew on an AirFrance Connie and a BOAC Stratocruiser back when long range airliners had character. Came across to reside in the States on a DC-8 so just missed a trans atlantic "prop" crossing. Remember the days of feeder DC-3, Convair 240/440, Elizabethan, Viscount etc prop jobs ? All when planes were planes instead of aluminum tubes with wings and as a passenger you were treated almost like royalty.
Mar 25, 2019, 03:49 PM
Them days are long gone but the Connie will always be the most beautiful prop airliner.
Mar 25, 2019, 05:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
AAAHHHGREEEEED!!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....

Quick Reply