Apr 28, 2016, 02:31 PM
Gorgeous build.
Nice work, as always, Pat.
I am subscribed.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2016, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Sigs30, It turns out, in spite of what I thought going in, that the notches turned out to be the easiest part of the entire design. The reason being is that all of the fuselage cross sections are round. And that is what gives the Connie its graceful lines -- as the fuselage gets wider, or narrower, it also gets taller, or shorter, based on the bottom line in the profile.

To accomplish that, I drew 1 single former notch on the top center point of each station, then using the "Array" tool in ACad2000 set up all 24 notches around each former rather then having to draw each individually and work out the spacing along the way. In other words, since all of the stations are round, and because all of the stringers are equally spaced around each of the formers, the stringers take on a natural flow down the length of the fuselage.

I think it sounds more complex than it is, but by using the Array tool, all of the spacing is automatically set up with equal spacing when the stations were drawn.

PAT
Apr 28, 2016, 02:56 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Bare

Yeah it has a lot of pieces but it is not hard to build. The design looks very much like Pats DC-6 from a few years ago and the one I built wasn't hard to do. Some work for sure but a well laid out design. And you get rewarded with a great looking and flying model.

Looking good Pat, when is the first flight scheduled? Next weekend maybe??!!!!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Apr 28, 2016, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
At long last the 60" Connie drawings have been completed and construction has finally begun on this more then 3 year old project. The design is set up for 4 ch. R/C, and will be powered by 4, Suppo 2212 Outrunner motors. And once the p-type and all the paperwork has been completed the model will be kitted by Dare/Brodak. So with plans and parts in hand, let's get started.

You know Eastern Air Lines also flew the Connie. I have a Minicraft kit of it in 1/144 scale.
Apr 28, 2016, 04:10 PM
Looks like it's a pretty quick build. And it uses the same egg-crate design that many of Pat's planes have in the wings. That makes for a surprisingly strong yet light wing!
Apr 28, 2016, 04:45 PM
Airliner Builder
Incredible work Pat! Both of my DC-6s are crashed or sold now so I will probably have to get one of these beauties!
Apr 28, 2016, 06:33 PM
killickb
Did not see a response from Pat on whether it is a Connie or SuperConnie -- at the rate he is building (unless it is time lapse) he can't have any time to respond ! If it is the SC sure hope he will include the tip tanks, if not, Sparky you better get busy.
Apr 28, 2016, 07:55 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Did not see a response from Pat on whether it is a Connie or SuperConnie -- at the rate he is building (unless it is time lapse) he can't have any time to respond ! If it is the SC sure hope he will include the tip tanks, if not, Sparky you better get busy.
Not sure if the picture Pat posted at the beginning helps but looks like a super Connie with tip tanks...are tip tanks the only difference? I though they had a stretched fuse?
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Apr 28, 2016, 08:09 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
The Super Connie has a lengthened fuselage and some had the tip tanks. The Super also used the R3350 Turbo Compound radial vs the standard R3350 in the original Connie. The fuselage was lengthened by 18ft and the window shape was also changed. Some other changes to strengthen the airframe due to increased weights was also done. So the major visible difference is the longer fuselage and the tip tanks when fitted.

Beautiful airplane.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Apr 29, 2016, 12:38 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Pat-Another outstanding design and build!

I hope we get to see the Connie at SMALL. Are you planning to attend?
Apr 29, 2016, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Killickb, The version I'm doing is the L-1049 Super Connie. Will work up the molds for the tip tanks and other plastic parts soon and get them sent off all at the same time.. Will be doing the cockpit, tail cone, nacelle fairings and other small parts to make the build as easy as possible for such a complex model.

PAT
Apr 29, 2016, 02:00 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Looks like you will be keeping Sparky busy!!!!

Build is looking very nice.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Apr 29, 2016, 02:09 PM
Blue Angels used a Connie or Super Connie (not sure which) for several years...no tip tanks.
Apr 29, 2016, 02:17 PM
With her being so long are you anticipating the gear to be forward of CG with long servo runs? What kind of servos? 42 oz/in range like HS81/82 with something like a hs65hb in the wings for the ailreons?
I guess you could put a three light high output servos in the tail give there is plenty of room for battery movement forward towards the nose.
Apr 29, 2016, 04:53 PM
You made that out of trees?
Quote:
Pat, it's probably just me but the hardest part for designing kits I have found is lining up all the notches. Do you find this to be the case? I use Coreldraw.
Used to be the case with me - until I learnt my new favourite method from, of all places, an ARF model. WARNING! it involves the 'F' word.

John.

Quick Reply