Apr 27, 2016, 01:43 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Very nice! Always loved the Connie....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2016, 01:44 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
rclad

I have a felling that this design will be very similar to Pats DC-6 design from several years back. Designed to be a lightly loaded bird so flaps will not be needed and fixed gear. I know several people were working on fitting retracts to the DC-6 but I do not know if they were successful.

I am sure Pat will chime in with all the details and correct me where I have erred!!!!.

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Apr 27, 2016, 01:54 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Retracts would look nice on the Connie but really complicates things and makes it heavier....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Apr 27, 2016, 03:04 PM
"I will return" Federico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allen
I have a felling that this design will be very similar to Pats DC-6 design from several years back. Designed to be a lightly loaded bird so flaps will not be needed and fixed gear. I know several people were working on fitting retracts to the DC-6 but I do not know if they were successful.
A while back I saw Ethan's video of his Tritle designed DC-6 in flight (and crash on tarp) and made a note that one day I'll have to build that plane. It flew so well. Looks a little less complicated than the Connie but still a beauty, imo.
Apr 27, 2016, 08:45 PM
Lookin good Pat. Excellent subject!
Apr 28, 2016, 05:50 AM
Subbed

raipe
Apr 28, 2016, 07:29 AM
Thread OP

Getting Started on the Wings

Construction begins with the main spars. The spar is too long to cut in one piece do to the wood sizes, so the outer end is joined to the inner using a scarf joint.

Assembly begins by fitting the landing gear mount between the front and rear spars and then capturing it with the ribs. The assembly is then pinned over the plans and the remaining ribs dry fitted onto the spars. The dihedral joiners are fitted next, and when everything looks good the joints are all tack glued using thin Cya.
Apr 28, 2016, 07:33 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Details

From here it's a matter of adding the LE, TE, servo mounts, outer nacelle sheeting and the stringers to the top of the wing. Then once all that's done, the wing was removed from the board and the bottom sheeting and stringers were added. The inner nacelle sheeting won't be added until the landing gear is mounted.
Apr 28, 2016, 07:36 AM
Thread OP

Building the Other Wing

The right wing goes together just like the left, only it was a lot easier after doing the first one since the assembly sequence had already been worked out.
Apr 28, 2016, 07:39 AM
Thread OP

Joining the Panels

With both wing done, shaped and sanded, the panels are joined at the center and the last of the stringers added to complete the basic wing assembly.
Apr 28, 2016, 07:41 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Wing to the Fuselage

Now that the wing is roughed in it was fitted onto the fuselage. Now it's really starting to look like an airplane.

Next up will be to get the landing gear struts shaped and mounted and the last of the sheeting in place. From there it'll be on to the nacelles and motor mounts.

PAT
Apr 28, 2016, 08:32 AM
Love the quickfire build log, make is look like you've whipped it up between dinner and bed time.
The Connie is a great subject and nicely done Pat
Apr 28, 2016, 08:56 AM
Looks nice, may have to buy one. Pat, it's probably just me but the hardest part for designing kits I have found is lining up all the notches. Do you find this to be the case? I use Coreldraw.
Apr 28, 2016, 10:12 AM
This model doesn't look like one for the banana fuselage builders. It's going to be a beaut with it's long graceful lines and curves.
Apr 28, 2016, 11:09 AM
Yikes! that has a Lot of parts... just saying.

Quick Reply